Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay due to ... badging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone -
First post here. I was excited to join the elite group of ownership with you all with a home delivery scheduled for tomorrow (3/13/2020) when I just got off the phone with Buena Park (Southern California). My delivery is delayed 7-10 days with a “badging issue”. The rep told me the car arrived with no badges and parts are on order, and the vehicle cannot be released without them. While I agree the car should have the badges I am a little irked that I had been counting down the days, just sent over a hefty down payment, and cleared a Saturday morning to welcome home the newest member of our family. Has this happened to anyone else and should I suggest my sales rep compensate with something (supercharge miles, connectivity) for the inconvenience? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Hello everyone -
First post here. I was excited to join the elite group of ownership with you all with a home delivery scheduled for tomorrow (3/13/2020) when I just got off the phone with Buena Park (Southern California). My delivery is delayed 7-10 days with a “badging issue”. The rep told me the car arrived with no badges and parts are on order, and the vehicle cannot be released without them. While I agree the car should have the badges I am a little irked that I had been counting down the days, just sent over a hefty down payment, and cleared a Saturday morning to welcome home the newest member of our family. Has this happened to anyone else and should I suggest my sales rep compensate with something (supercharge miles, connectivity) for the inconvenience? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

My delivery was scheduled for this past Tuesday. On Monday, I got a call that my delivery was being delayed due to a "cosmetic issue".

After some pressing, I learned that a wheel was damaged in transit and needed to be replaced. Instead of delivering the car and setting up an appointment for replacement, they are refusing to release until the car is "perfect". I do appreciate them catching the issue though.

I did reach out and get a call back on Wednesday, but it's been crickets ever since and with no status updates its very aggravating.

Tim

Last edited:
Hello everyone -
Back in Q3 and Q4 of 2018, I don't think they delivered any Model 3s with their Dual Motor badges. We took delivery of two cars during that time and didn't get the badges until a year or so later.

@hakobkara In recent years,Tesla has been vertically integrating, taking on broader businesses into their wheelhouse. Lately, they have been harvesting a lot of baloney. They've combined this with a new technology called 'phony', to develop new synergies, that they call 'phony-baloney'. Elon, himself, is said to have conceived of the idea, one day, when he was looking in the refrigerator for some mustard.

So, since the latest cars have to have the latest technology, this can cause some delays, while Tesla adds the phony-baloney to the new cars. Supposedly, the new phony-baloney is one of the features in FSD, and a reason for its frequent delays.

• Funny
Reactions: gigawatt1010
a home delivery scheduled for tomorrow (3/13/2020) when I just got off the phone with Buena Park (Southern California). My delivery is delayed 7-10 days with a “badging issue”. The rep told me the car arrived with no badges and parts are on order, and the vehicle cannot be released without them.

Interesting because I also just received a call from Buena Park delivery center saying that they have to push my Model Y home delivery back a bit since they said "pre-delivery preparations are needed to get the vehicle ready" (per their voicemail message). I wonder if there weren't any badges on my car either, but then I wouldn't care since I'm immediately going to debadge my car after I've taken delivery of it - both emblems and the dual motor badge (but I'll put a new satin black painted badge on the back).

My account shows a new delivery date of next Saturday, but when I spoke to somebody there they said realistically it should get delivered sometime next week well before Saturday. I'm not in any hurry but I just hope my car is also something as simple as missing badges, and nothing major like needing to repaint some body panels.

Reactions: TBrownTX
@hakobkara , Oh, and welcome to the Tesla family. We're a slightly dysfunctional bunch, mainly because we all yearn to be on the bleeding edge. We are so sophisticated and advanced that we get this stuff called 'etherealware'. It not to be confused with vaporware, which is so, 1990s. With etheralware, you are sold features that the Tesla engineers haven't even heard of yet.

@hakobkara, sorry to hear about your first experience with Tesla already not going well. They make the best EVs out there, but boy do they have some issues, especially on the delivery side. Some may say growing pains, but us that's been around a while learned how to navigate through them. Good luck with your MY, I'm sure you'll love it - especially being your first EV.

Back in Q3 and Q4 of 2018, I don't think they delivered any Model 3s with their Dual Motor badges. We took delivery of two cars during that time and didn't get the badges until a year or so later.
Yeah, I took delivery of an M3P in November 2018 and it didn't have the Dual Motor badges or the spoiler. It took a year to get those. Kind of crazy that they won't allow delivery of a car without the badges, that's just a cosmetic issue. That's assuming they are talking about the Dual Motor badge(s) and not the Tesla badges.

Hello everyone -
This sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Tesla had frequently been criticized for delivering vehicles with similar flaws, things that in traditional automakers that dealers catch (there's a prep time after they receive the vehicle). During quarter end rushes sometimes they skip some of this, but there are various issues that they can fix before delivery (rather than needing a service visit after, which may take months).

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Hello! Checking in with the same experience at Buena Park. My delivery was scheduled for yesterday 3-13. I got a call and voicemail at 9 am telling me my delivery needed to be postponed due to a badging issue. I tried all day to get a hold of someone at the Buena Park showroom to no avail. I ended up calling the Burbank showroom where I test drove and they told me more or less the same thing: vague badging issue, due to “state regulations” they are unable to release the car. I talked to someone in Delivery at Buena Park this morning and he didn’t have much more information for me other than he can almost 100% guarantee I’ll have my car by end of month, probably by end of week. (I’d hope so since it’s already at the showroom????). They’ve updated my delivery on my Tesla account to 3/20.

Pretty bummed. I’m gonna call back to get more information on exactly what this issue is and what the regulation is that’s stopping them from releasing the car and installing the badges when they come in. So far nobody has had any actual details to provide.

Will update if I get any more info.

Hello everyone -
Any update on your end? I talked to someone again today from Buena Park and after he told me he'd call me back with more information, I got a text delaying my delivery further from 3/20 to 3/25. Very frustrated at this point because nobody at that location is giving me any information on why this is taking so long. I've also already paid the down payment and fees. One person told me it's a "state regulation" that they can't release the car, someone else told me it's directive "from higher up" so frankly, I'm not buying it. I know back in 2019 there were posts from people saying their cars were delivered without the badges which is why I'm very skeptical about their reasoning.

Any update on your end? I talked to someone again today from Buena Park and after he told me he'd call me back with more information, I got a text delaying my delivery further from 3/20 to 3/25. Very frustrated at this point because nobody at that location is giving me any information on why this is taking so long. I've also already paid the down payment and fees. One person told me it's a "state regulation" that they can't release the car, someone else told me it's directive "from higher up" so frankly, I'm not buying it. I know back in 2019 there were posts from people saying their cars were delivered without the badges which is why I'm very skeptical about their reasoning.
Hi heyreech and everyone else,

I wanted to give an update to the whole, taking delivery story. I read your post the other day that your delivery was pushed out a few more day - I'm really sorry to hear that was the case. To err on the cautious side, I didn't call them, but instead frantically hit the refresh button on my computer on what had to be the longest week ever. The March 20, Delivery date did not change. In the early hours of 3/19/2021 (like 12:15am) I did get an email telling me my final documents were ready to sign. This was confusing as I already signed them the week prior. I was heated the day before because I remember seeing an April 27 first payment date, and wondered if that would change - I didn't want to make payments on a car I didn't have and this started to eat at me a little too and the time. Friday morning I logged on to see the same final documents as the week before but with all sale and delivery dates changed to March 20, 2021, which made me a little more optimistic for a Saturday delivery but I wasn't holding my breath yet. The first payment due date did get pushed out a week to May 4th (Star Wars pun in there) which also made me happy. Saturday morning (today) I held my breath as I waited for delivery. My wife was checking the ring camera and jokingly kept telling me it was here, until around 930am when the Tesla salesman backed in onto my driveway. It was a surreal experience to just have a car delivered and after waiting over a month from the initial order. He took a few pics to confirm delivery. I jokingly asked if he needed a ride and his Uber pulled up a minute later. Odometer reading had about 40 miles on it, and getting in was not as easy and the videos made it look. The app needed to restart, and I had to log out and in about 5 times, and you have to ACCEPT Delivery to get in. My wife and I spend about 1-2 hours going through a checklist we found online. No flaws detected. We're super happy it came, and are going to cruise OC tonight. Nothing but peace and love to you, and hoping your delivery comes soon.

TL;DR
Car was delivered today. Am happy.

Hakob