Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay model Y Possible.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is , can I delay the whole process. I put my 2500 down about 3 days after the reveal in march 2019. first they said Fall 2020. then as you all know moved up to summer and now even march 2020. I live in NJ. they just passed a new law Jan 9th. NJ not the government will give a 5000 rebate to order ev. with 200 miles or more. The caveat here is . Unlike gov program you got the 7500 back on your taxes at year end .. this one they actually pay the 5k. at time of delivery. IT must be negociated when you make payment. Problem is the law signed into law Jan 9th but will not be funded for. 4 to maybe 6 months. IF NJ is going to give the 5K. I have to wait until this program take affect. So has anyone wanted to delay the entire process for a model 3. x or S. for any reason and been successful. Wanted some input before I call Tesla over the weekend. My account now says. " get ready for delivery " but I have not received and email yet.

thank you

My question is , can I delay the whole process. I put my 2500 down about 3 days after the reveal in march 2019. first they said Fall 2020. then as you all know moved up to summer and now even march 2020. I live in NJ. they just passed a new law Jan 9th. NJ not the government will give a 5000 rebate to order ev. with 200 miles or more. The caveat here is . Unlike gov program you got the 7500 back on your taxes at year end .. this one they actually pay the 5k. at time of delivery. IT must be negociated when you make payment. Problem is the law signed into law Jan 9th but will not be funded for. 4 to maybe 6 months. IF NJ is going to give the 5K. I have to wait until this program take affect. So has anyone wanted to delay the entire process for a model 3. x or S. for any reason and been successful. Wanted some input before I call Tesla over the weekend. My account now says. " get ready for delivery " but I have not received and email yet.

thank you
PS. I don't want to cancel and reorder , my cost is 51k. as an early reservation holder. Order the same thing right now its 52,990

So the Governor has said the program is retroactive back to the date it was signed. So even if you bought Model Y now, you’d apply for the rebate once the program opens. Here it is, right from the horse’s mouth: Office of the Governor | Governor Murphy Affirms Electric Vehicle Rebate Eligibility Effective as of January 17, 2020

It is smoother to have it come right off the vehicle price once it’s all up and running, but I’d happily trade a little paperwork for the experience of driving a Model Y!

Can’t speak to your unique NJ circumstances, but I can confirm that a delivery can be delayed while continuing to lock in the price that was applicable when the deposit was placed. I just got a call last night asking me to take delivery of a Model Y next month. My wife and I had not planned on taking delivery until sometime this summer (so that we can give her Lexus to our soon to be 16 year old daughter). I asked Tesla if I could delay the Model Y delivery until June. They said yes and indicated that they would put a notification to that effect in their system, and would reach out in May to schedule the June delivery. As long as I let them keep my deposit, the price remains locked.

GREat. thank you for that update as well. this gives me the option of both waiting for the funding in NJ to get done and my current loan on my Chevy bolt to be done this summer as was the original plan. Model Ys. shipping in Fall of 2020 so I knew I would be done with the bolt. appreciate your input . thanks

Tesla website is reflecting NJ's $5,000 credit which is based on the MSRP of the base car before options. An AWD with numerous options is showing eligible totaling more than $55k. If you change the order to the performance model the $5,000 credit is no longer eligible.

Yes. you are correct. You have to keep the msrp. to below 55k. I think they may see some customers in NJ actually deciding NOT to take the FSD feature , get the state rebate and then go back afterwards and sign up for it. I think I read you pay 1000 more afterwards ( am I correct here ). but you would still be 4K ahead by getting NJ to kick in their 5k. getting you FSD update afterwards.
thank you