Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed delivery and return timeframe question/advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping for some opinions / advice on a delivery issue.

I ordered a solid black / white P3D- and went to pick up at delivery last Wednesday. It had some paint defects that I wasn't happy with, so they looked for other P3D- cars and none were available anywhere with a white interior and only with transportation fees with black interiors and no guarantee that other cars would be any better. I decided to let them fix the paint as I liked the white interior and they put me in a loaner until the car is ready again.

In perusing the forums, I was reminded of the 7 day /1000 mile return and am now curious if I'd lose that since I technically took delivery on the 11th when I signed the paperwork and the car more than likely won't be ready before the 18th. I totally didn't think of this at the time. I did a 2-year lease (as I plan to get into a Y next) and I had a trade-in.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have signed the paperwork until I truly took delivery. :(

I've called the delivery center but it went to VM - no surprise as they said last week they're slammed with deliveries having to get cars out within one or two days of the cars arriving.

My question is: Should I "return" the car that I haven't driven yet and order another? My concern is I won't have that 7 day timeframe if there are other issues with the current car. I'm ok if I don't get another P3D-. It was a really "nice to have" but I'd be very happy in a full Perf as well. Unfortunately, there are no Performance 3 cars in the area so anything would have to be transported, though within the region are no-cost transports.

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
It sounds like you already took delivery so the 7 days would count from then. Since your car is a lease, my advice would be that whatever condition the paint comes back with you just deal with it. You will only have it for 2 years, cant buy it after the lease anyway, so its like a rental apartment. If there are some issues, you will not be keeping the car anyway so it kinda doesnt matter.

It sounds like you already took delivery so the 7 days would count from then. Since your car is a lease, my advice would be that whatever condition the paint comes back with you just deal with it. You will only have it for 2 years, cant buy it after the lease anyway, so its like a rental apartment. If there are some issues, you will not be keeping the car anyway so it kinda doesnt matter.

Thanks, that's a good analogy about the apartment. You don't know the neighbor above you has three kids until you've moved in.

I probably need to worry less and drive more.

Thanks, that's a good analogy about the apartment. You don't know the neighbor above you has three kids until you've moved in.

I probably need to worry less and drive more.

Lol at the neighbor with three kids in the apartment above :)

Back before my wife and I bought our house, I moved from one apartment building to another one to be closer to work. In apartment complexes, I would always pick the unit as far away from the "amenities" as I could. In general, partiers and people with kids want to live close to the pool / gym etc. I wanted to be in the back in the corner for quiet.

Anyway, we moved into an apartment in the back in the corner, and were there only a couple of nights before we realized that the people living in the upstairs apartment seemed to be running track or something in the middle of the night. All night long, feet running back and forth across the ceiling.

Man, that was a LOOONG year lease in that apartment but we moved out the second we could lmao... One reason I would never buy a "condo" or townhouse. You never know who your neighbors are, and at least in a detached house you have a "little" bit of separation.

Lol at the neighbor with three kids in the apartment above :)

Back before my wife and I bought our house, I moved from one apartment building to another one to be closer to work. In apartment complexes, I would always pick the unit as far away from the "amenities" as I could. In general, partiers and people with kids want to live close to the pool / gym etc. I wanted to be in the back in the corner for quiet.

Anyway, we moved into an apartment in the back in the corner, and were there only a couple of nights before we realized that the people living in the upstairs apartment seemed to be running track or something in the middle of the night. All night long, feet running back and forth across the ceiling.

Man, that was a LOOONG year lease in that apartment but we moved out the second we could lmao... One reason I would never buy a "condo" or townhouse. You never know who your neighbors are, and at least in a detached house you have a "little" bit of separation.

Maybe the whole family just had really small bladders...

Just so the interwebs can sleep at night knowing the saga is complete, I did end up returning the car before the 7-day and am picking up a full performance this weekend. The original car was still sitting outside in the body shop parking lot with no work started, so my bad feelings compounded. There were a couple of cars coming in that were good fits so that was that. Lesson with inventory; if you don't see anything you like, wait a day. There ended up being a few cars I liked, including some P3D-, but none of the incoming P3D- had a white interior.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin