Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliver Now, Fix Later: Tesla's Competitive Edge Is Also Its Major Weakness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
At least if things are still like they were when a former Tesla VP for quality was there. We never get tired of repeating what engineers tell us all the time: buying the first batch of any product is risky. All initial production issues will present themselves to early adopters. When it comes to Tesla,...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/07/15/deliver-now-fix-later-teslas-edge-weakness/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Matias
Is it just me, or is VW trying the same thing with the ID3 launch?
Well the build cars before they got the software working, but they did not sell those cars, so no. Now that software is ready ID3 deliveries are going to start in Sep. There are 250 ID3 out there being 'tested' by VW employees who opted to get the car early in order to provide VW with feedback.

Yet more proof that Musk is nothing more than a con man who sees his customers as a means to an end. He doesn't care one wit about delivering a quality product. He just wants your money and will say anything to get it. While I enjoy seeing my TSLA shares rise to over 400% return—which have gained enough to pay for a Porsche Taycan—I will never buy another Tesla car knowing how Musk runs the company and how he builds cars.

I'm perfectly happy to see an entirely new generation of Tesla vehicle owners grapple with the reality many of us have accepted over the last 7-8 years. They think life is great and their cars are wonderful. Just wait for it. In the meantime, I'll continue collecting gains on my shares as fools continue to buy.

The next time I make such an investment, it will be with a company that actually cares about quality and makes a properly engineered and tested product. Tesla is a joke led by a clown.

Yet more proof that Musk is nothing more than a con man who sees his customers as a means to an end. He doesn't care one wit about delivering a quality product. He just wants your money and will say anything to get it. While I enjoy seeing my TSLA shares rise to over 400% return—which have gained enough to pay for a Porsche Taycan—I will never buy another Tesla car knowing how Musk runs the company and how he builds cars.

I'm perfectly happy to see an entirely new generation of Tesla vehicle owners grapple with the reality many of us have accepted over the last 7-8 years. They think life is great and their cars are wonderful. Just wait for it. In the meantime, I'll continue collecting gains on my shares as fools continue to buy.

The next time I make such an investment, it will be with a company that actually cares about quality and makes a properly engineered and tested product. Tesla is a joke led by a clown.
Well said! Ditto except I cashed out between $400-$900 because it was too risky for me.

picked up My Model Y on July 17, 2020 and right away noticed the body panel misaligned, call the Marina Del Rey Delivery center and informed them. I got a an answer from the personal please take pics and update the service app.
No sorry for the inconvenience, no apology, I mean you spend 60K + and they just point you to the app.
I have until Friday to return the vehicle. I am really going to think hard and decide if I want my money back or should I have them fix the issues.
Elon Musk should be talking more about what he is doing on Planet Earth than planning to send people in outer space.
Maybe folks are right, this will be another Dolorean Auto Maker that had the vision but could not deliver a good product.
Sorry Elon I wish you could answer this face to face but i know you don't have the guts to face the people.

Picked up my MY at the beginning of COVID19 shelter in place - so nerve racking pick up process and other administrative issues, but everyone trying their best - except for the quality issues. Even in the dim light of the service center - numerous issues that QC at Fremont and at SC prep should have caught. In retrospect I wish I had refused delivery and waited until another batch came out. But I needed transportation with more room than my current M3 as spouse has bad back and taking care of elderly parent was - couldn't delay. I was promised it would be fixed. Photographed the issues and returned the car a few weeks later for repairs.
  • Drivers window ajar - enough to to smack the glass pillar
  • Rear tire well trim misaligned - was told this was in factory specs, months later - the saw a MY on the showroom gaps/trim were perfect.
  • Lift gate still wobbles and misaligned
  • Hood - Frunk lid - appears warped and misaligned
  • Passenger side front pillar misaligned - saw on several Y's this batch
  • Greasy had prints and the car was generally not clean - like a dirty rag used to clean window.
  • Scratched interior plastic in the cargo /back seat area
  • Bought the garage door opener - extra charge now - $300 - annoyance
  • I blue taped every issue, put it all in the app with photos.
Brought my car window fix, but the driver's door is misaligned, the hood lid is way way worse raised catching air and making noise, no replacement parts available for scratched plastic. lift gate better but still wobbles and now seems less aligned at the top with glass, garage door opener installed and works as it should. The car was brought to me and with covid, understaffed, they disappear to the next customer no opportunity for feedback and the 3 day survey - is never sent.

Needed a tow-hitch for bike rack $1200 -not offered at order and now the MY drops in $3000 in price ugh! - Ok will try a different store for the repair. stated all the issues photographs in the app and make appointment. Bring in the car they can only see the tow hitch in the system - I tell them about the issues - they can find the notes but no photographs, not to worry - we will fix these issues. Come back the next day to pick up - nope just the toe hitch installed and staff that told me not to worry isn't in that day - drop off staff says nothing is on the order.

$66,500. Really disappointed in the deliver now fix later approach, especially during a pandemic where every visit is potential exposure for customer and Tesla employees and the inconvenience and to fix issues that should be caught before delivery, at least by the first visit and still un resolved at the 3?? WTF.