Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliveries before Dec 31 as promised by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They haven't said anything official, but since Elon promised all orders before end of November would be delivered by end of year, then I hope they would honor their promise or compensate. I think they should back up Elon's statement with a guarantee. Of course there is a reasonable possibility the tax credit will be extended, although that may not be known for another 6 months or so. Trump wants to cancel the tax credit altogether, but other proposals are to extend it up to 5 years. I believe a compromise will extend it for 2 years, applied equally to all manufacturers, then phased out.

If the guarantee excludes factors like rejecting deliveries, I think it’s an achievable deadline.

Tesla I’m sure has been shipping most production east and will continue to ship east until all orders up to tomorrow is satisfied.

West coast orders can be turned around in a week so Tesla doesn’t even have to produce CA, WA bound cars off the assembly line until middle December.

Reactions: outdoors
What happens if Tesla fails to keep their promise to deliver M3s before end of December? Is Tesla going to credit $3750 which you lose from fed credit if vehicle is not delivered by 31st?
Please don’t count on Tesla discounting $3,750 to offset any lost tax credits for those cars arriving after 12/31/18, as it simply won’t happen. Elon already admitted recently in an interview that Tesla almost died just a few months ago (i.e., would have run out of cash if they hadn’t drastically ramped up 3 production, which thankfully Tesla succeeded at doing). Tesla’s cash is still a scarce resource they won’t just give away due to sundry causes of delivery delays out of Tesla’s control (e.g., railroad demurrage/delays for long haul deliveries, extreme weather/fires/blizzards, customers rejecting cars due to scratched paint that may occur in transit). I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but I also hate reading of so many unrealistic expectations that Tesla will just start discounting their 3, where demand still exceeds supply. For Tesla to do so (discount what would amount to Millions of $), the TSLA stock price would plummet. Please have a Plan B. I just implemented mine by canceling my 3 order and buying a perfect, loaded 2012 P85 in Signature Red for about the same net price (after $7500 tax credit I no longer felt I’d get by 12/31) of my MR 3 with white interior (since no MR with white interior 3 has been spotted yet, beyond maybe their solo production test vehicle). Put another way, I just stepped out of the 3 waiting line after almost 1,000 days of waiting :( Which means everyone waiting for their 3 is now +1 in line :) This won’t be Elon’s first broken tweet pledge; it just is what it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Please don’t count on Tesla discounting $3,750 to offset any lost tax credits for those cars arriving after 12/31/18, as it simply won’t happen. Elon already admitted recently in an interview that Tesla almost died just a few months ago (i.e., would have run out of cash if they hadn’t drastically ramped up 3 production, which thankfully Tesla succeeded at doing). Tesla’s cash is still a scarce resource they won’t just give away due to sundry causes of delivery delays out of Tesla’s control (e.g., railroad demurrage/delays for long haul deliveries, extreme weather/fires/blizzards, customers rejecting cars due to scratched paint that may occur in transit). I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but I also hate reading of so many unrealistic expectations that Tesla will just start discounting their 3, where demand still exceeds supply. For Tesla to do so (discount what would amount to Millions of $), the TSLA stock price would plummet. Please have a Plan B. I just implemented mine by canceling my 3 order and buying a perfect, loaded 2012 P85 in Signature Red for about the same net price (after $7500 tax credit I no longer felt I’d get by 12/31) of my MR 3 with white interior (since no MR with white interior 3 has been spotted yet, beyond maybe their solo production test vehicle). Put another way, I just stepped out of the 3 waiting line after almost 1,000 days of waiting :( Which means everyone waiting for their 3 is now +1 in line :) This won’t be Elon’s first broken tweet pledge; it just is what it is.
Not acceptable. Sorry but you can’t consistently burn the public and Tesla always seems to do the right thing when possible. Refunding $5k for cars they already sold just happened. They also dropped margins in China to eat the cost of tariff increases. I’m in the same spot as you with a wait since 3/31/16. Using the tax credit to add orders should mean they deliver them. And it’s not just Elon. Somebody ordering today sees “December delivery” on the page. Nothing about estmates - straight up December delivery. I would be shocked if they didn’t add something for buyers whose delivery is delayed and does not receive the tax credit. Maybe lifetime supercharging or a straight up cash discount.

Reactions: neroden and Roy_H
You sound like you're just envious should others get their MR before December. Not a good look. Maybe you were afraid of the "risk," but others are confident and you hate that you weren't.

I think everyone knew about the tax credit, if you didn't order sooner, for something you knew about, cause you were not organized or just can't make up your mind what to do, or what you want, that's your problem, now to ask Tesla for money back, is so out of line, it's not even worth taking about. I'm sure Tesla will do there best to get your car to you before Dec. 31, they want your money as soon as they can also.

I think everyone knew about the tax credit, if you didn't order sooner, for something you knew about, cause you were not organized or just can't make up your mind what to do, or what you want, that's your problem, now to ask Tesla for money back, is so out of line, it's not even worth taking about. I'm sure Tesla will do there best to get your car to you before Dec. 31, they want your money as soon as they can also.
But they literally say if you order today, you will get the tax credit.

Reactions: neroden

Ah, another Tesla apologist.
You can't blame the buyers for questioning this, since Tesla explicitly state that if you order now (before the end of November) you will get the car delivered by year's end to claim the $7500 credit.

If Tesla is not sure that they can do this, then put in some disclaimer like "we'll try our best, but it's not a guarantee that we'll make it". Then buyers will decide for themselves if they want to take that risk.

You can't blame the buyers for questioning this, since Tesla explicitly state that if you order now (before the end of November) you will get the car delivered by year's end to claim the $7500 credit.

If Tesla is not sure that they can do this, then put in some disclaimer like "we'll try our best, but it's not a guarantee that we'll make it". Then buyers will decide for themselves if they want to take that risk.

Or Tesla can just determine which buyers they won't be able to accommodate, upsell/alt-sell them?

If they can't, refund the $2,500 deposit?

It's common sense for anyone risk adverse in the slightest who lives in the NE corner of New York to not wait until Dec 1st, 2:59AM EST, Nov 30th, 11:59PM PST to order a car for end of year delivery.

Tesla must like their chances at hitting 11-30 without some weak ass disclaimer to cover the dozen people they can't help for whatever reason.

why risk that, anything dumb can happen, now you want Tesla to pay for it, I have a business that deals with custom made orders, there are people out there that can't make up there minds, don't know what they really want, make changes, then want it in a hurry, I think sometimes they believe they are the only customer you have. I do think Tesla will make it right for them, and I really doubt any other Car Company would. Why risk it, order sooner, and know what you want, make it easy.

I asked the same question (in writing) to one of my Tesla sales folks. Their response was:

"If you ordered before nov 30th, and you are unable to take delivery before the 31st, Tesla will refund your complete purchase"

I.E. - I assume they'd just refund the $2500 and flip the car over to the next person on the list with the same config in that area.

I know Tesla will make it right and they should, but I'm in a business like this, my staff works hard, overtime, just to get it all done in time, some People wait till the last minute, not sure what they want, and make changes, it just drives us nuts, LOL, they will be so happy when they get there car, makes it all worth while, good luck to everyone getting there car on time.

I consider myself a Tesla apologist but I 100% agree. You don't just flat out state guaranteed delivery by end of year if you order today without people fully expecting that. I think they're gonna have to do something if things don't pan out either with a refund, free features, or something. You can't just make a claim like that and then wipe your hands clean if you don't follow through. The backlash would be pretty harsh from the public.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and V__2