Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 wanna be owner - need tips before ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How close did that end up being to what you could have sold the car for, as in, what are cars like yours actually selling for vs what the dealer gave you? Curious if things are still a bit wonky or coming down to normal. Normally you get WAY less for a car selling it to a dealer who has to then markup a bunch.
It depends on the different factors like mileage year added options and so on. Based on some online inventory it was around 23-25k. I couldn’t find an exact match for my suv. But based on kbb 18k+ was private party sale value. Maybe I could have received another grand or so selling private. But at the cost of convenience and the paperwork associated and make sure you get paid and not scammed out.

Sounds like you made out pretty well, and as you said, easy and hassle free. Did you get the RWD M3 with $7500 off? How about an update on your car? I got my M3 LR AWD last night and I'm pretty happy with it overall so far.
Assuming I get paid as they promised and don’t end up pulling any tricks lol
Yes I got the $7500 credit. So I could sell it if I want to next month and make a profit out of it.jk

The car is pretty good, nice acceleration and liked all the cool features. But for the past 8+ years we have been driving SUVs so this was a change and no more walk ins and walk out which we are struggling to cope with. We both felt it’s a pain to get out of the vehicle since it’s too low compared to SUV and especially when I’m on the chubby side lol.

Wifey don’t like the regen brakes. Too much friction when driving and she can’t adjust to the new style of one pedal driving. So currently that feature is turned off and set to roll mode. I don’t mind using it but again you need to play around with the gas pedal so that the car doesn’t slow down right away especially changing lanes in tollways at 70mph. So there is a learning curve and hopefully we will get used to it.

Our initial choice was Ford mustang MachE which I thought was more stylish but there wasn’t any local inventory available and the online order had a four month wait. We wanted a car really quick And that’s how we ended up choosing model 3. But for the price we paid it’s a really good deal other than it being a sedan and smaller size, we have no other complaints.

Ford is getting greedy due to the very high demand and so they are raising MSRP on all the ev models from 3 to 8K next year. And I ain’t paying 70k on a Ford. Lol

Reactions: DocHolliday
So, does "wifey" have an opinion?
No, she doesn’t care. She hates our SUV and wants to get rid of it and wanted a new vehicle.
There were so many issues back to back this whole year that we were sick of dropping it off at repair shop every 2-3 months, pay for rental car during the interim ( $75/day for a freakin Corolla) and spend around 6k on maintenance this year alone. So, for her, it’s a good riddance. Lol. That was another reason why we rushed into a model 3 purchase.

I like the M3's prescription a lot better than Fords:
M3; supreme efficiency and aerodynamics for longest range with minimal battery and fastest charging
Ford: Massive battery with barn door aerodynamics for low efficiency = less range and slower charging.

One of Bjorn's videos showed an amazing graph of Tesla charging compared to all others...not based only on charging speed, but based on range/time. No one else is remotely close to how fast Tesla charges when looking at range added over time.

I think you will both get used to one pedal driving with regen if you give it a chance. After a day or two of driving, it seems natural. Of course is great for range and efficiency too. We've had an EV since March so was easy for me. I like Tesla's one pedal driving better than our 2022 Kia Niro EV. With the Kia, you have to toggle a paddle on the steering wheel at just the right time to stop behind another car or at red-light/stop sign etc. The Tesla, IME, comes to a complete stop very intuitively with one pedal driving. So I rank it much better than our Kia in that regard.

I like the M3's prescription a lot better than Fords:
M3; supreme efficiency and aerodynamics for longest range with minimal battery and fastest charging
Ford: Massive battery with barn door aerodynamics for low efficiency = less range and slower charging.

One of Bjorn's videos showed an amazing graph of Tesla charging compared to all others...not based only on charging speed, but based on range/time. No one else is remotely close to how fast Tesla charges when looking at range added over time.

I think you will both get used to one pedal driving with regen if you give it a chance. After a day or two of driving, it seems natural. Of course is great for range and efficiency too. We've had an EV since March so was easy for me. I like Tesla's one pedal driving better than our 2022 Kia Niro EV. With the Kia, you have to toggle a paddle on the steering wheel at just the right time to stop behind another car or at red-light/stop sign etc. The Tesla, IME, comes to a complete stop very intuitively with one pedal driving. So I rank it much better than our Kia in that regard.
I agree with you regarding the faster charging and more range for Tesla over Ford. That was another reason to pick Tesla. Also, it was our first time buying EV, so we weren’t sure if we want to spend 60K+ in case we didn’t like it.

I still think Mach E is more stylish than Tesla (maybe for efficiency reason). All Tesla models look the same, from the cheapest to the most expensive one. For me, if you are paying top dollars, you need something that stands out.

I don’t want to buy a car that looks just like my neighbors car when I paid 100k more for it. Lol

Another fact is insurance for Tesla is almost double the rate of Ford. That’s something which adds up if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Last edited:
Another update.
The dealership screwed up the paperwork to process the payment. Called them up this morning to check on the status and they said they will fix it. And this afternoon the zelle payment was wired to my account. :)

I might wait for a week or so, and check their inventory to see how much they are selling it for. I am hoping atleast 5-6k markup.

I agree with you regarding the faster charging and more range for Tesla over Ford. That was another reason to pick Tesla. Also, it was our first time buying EV, so we weren’t sure if we want to spend 60K+ in case we didn’t like it.

I still think Mach E is more stylish than Tesla (maybe for efficiency reason). All Tesla models look the same, from the cheapest to the most expensive one. For me, if you are paying top dollars, you need something that stands out.

I don’t want to buy a car that looks just like my neighbors car when I paid 100k more for it. Lol

Another fact is insurance for Tesla is almost double the rate of Ford. That’s something which adds up if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Might pay to shop around. I've been with Allstate for many years. I am in the process of switching to Nationwide as I'll be insuring a 2022 Kia Niro EV and a 2023 Tesla M3 LR AWD full coverage for two drivers for $1456/year or $121/month. So $60-$70/month for the Tesla. I thinks that's reasonable for a $60,000 400 hp car.

Might pay to shop around. I've been with Allstate for many years. I am in the process of switching to Nationwide as I'll be insuring a 2022 Kia Niro EV and a 2023 Tesla M3 LR AWD full coverage for two drivers for $1456/year or $121/month. So $60-$70/month for the Tesla. I thinks that's reasonable for a $60,000 400 hp car.
Wow my Tesla alone is $1051 for 6 months. Well we had a claim 6 months ago on the Audi for 8K. Maybe that’s why. I might look into nationwide as well.

So does Tesla has any kind of warning sensors other than the front and rear cameras? Today I was pulling out of the parking lot and got real close to another car and I was hoping there would be some kind of warning sound but nothing. How does the park assist work? Does it make any sound once you get too close to another vehicle?

Wow my Tesla alone is $1051 for 6 months. Well we had a claim 6 months ago on the Audi for 8K. Maybe that’s why. I might look into nationwide as well.
Yep, Allstate $1266/6 months for both cars for us, so $2532/year. Nationwide under $1500/year. $10,000 savings over ten years. Crazy. Do you have anyone else on your policy? We have kids on ours to help them save money. However, doing this raises the rates on our cars A LOT while giving them dirt cheap rates. So I asked for a quote for JUST myself and my wife on JUST our two cars. I subtract this rate from the total rate to ensure ourselves and all our kids....they pay the difference since they are driving our cost up a lot. They still come out WAAAY ahead vs insuring themselves. And we no longer supplement their insurance rates by paying WAAY more than we should. Rate with Allstate on our two cars was $3400/year with our kids on the policy. So even with Allstate, we were paying $900/year more by having the kids on our policy even if they pay the premium for their cars.

For example, our 18 year old would have to pay $215/month if she got her own policy. On our policy, she only pays about $110, and this is with us only paying our true cost of about $1500 year. But the premium on our two cars is much higher than this with all the kids on our policy. Kind of confusing but for us, this is a fair way of doing things.

Well German cars are expensive to fix. We had a fender bender in April and to fix that costs me around 8K. ( All genuine Audi parts, the front right headlight alone cost $1800). We had $250 deductible so the insurance covered everything. We were paying $870 for 2017 Audi Q5 ( compact suv) and $690 for 2023 Aviator ( 3 row suv) for 6 months. So that’s the premium difference for German cars. And Now I pay $1051 on a compact sedan. Lol

That’s why we opted for a Mach E first cuz the premium was $630 for 6 months ( little over half of Tesla rate). It’s just two of us in our plan and no kids. But with the expensive claims on the German cars ( probably would have cost under 3k on an American brand for the fix) they will certainly boost up the premium. I will definitely check with nationwide to get a quote first thing Monday morning. Thanks for the tip.

Only relief is that I was paying very high premium on the Audi through Allstate for over a year, so at least made them pay for the fix. So that’s considered an ROI. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: TesslaBull
It seems all of the automakers are approximately 10 years behind Tesla. This is from someone very deeply involved at the highest levels of EV production of a major manufacturer. The biggest hurdle is the software, all of it (systems, interface, etc). The other big brands can't get that right, not yet. Maybe 2ish years out for some actual comparable vehicles to roll out from any of the big names. And then there's the whole other issue of the (lack of) charging networks...

So did you get your charger along with the order? How often and how are you charging?

I just got it fully charged at a Tesla supercharger for $22. I was really counting on that 10k free miles credit to kick in today, but turned out it won’t be activated until 6 January.
We've had a 2022 Kia Niro EV since March, so we already have a L2 charger at home. I bought a Grizzle charger for $450(so the Tesla is really a good price) that charges up to 40 amps, so my M3 charges at 10kW. I got a great deal on installation....my electrician only charged me $350 materials and labor for a 50 amp outlet and a long run of about 40 feet. I'm tempted to grab the Tesla wall charger since its pretty cheap and I'd get 30% off but I really just don't need it.

I plan to charge my car to 55% for daily commuting of 60 miles round trip. From the digging I've done here on this site, that seems to be close to optimal in terms of having plenty of daily range while minimizing battery degradation.

We've had a 2022 Kia Niro EV since March, so we already have a L2 charger at home. I bought a Grizzle charger for $450(so the Tesla is really a good price) that charges up to 40 amps, so my M3 charges at 10kW. I got a great deal on installation....my electrician only charged me $350 materials and labor for a 50 amp outlet and a long run of about 40 feet. I'm tempted to grab the Tesla wall charger since its pretty cheap and I'd get 30% off but I really just don't need it.

I plan to charge my car to 55% for daily commuting of 60 miles round trip. From the digging I've done here on this site, that seems to be close to optimal in terms of having plenty of daily range while minimizing battery degradation.
Did you have Nema 14/50? Did you install
a dedicated GFCI breaker or a regular one?Today at the Tesla supercharger I was maxing out at 95 kWh. Turned out I didn’t precondition the battery(I didn’t know I had to) and so it was cold and limited charging rate. Eventually it dropped down to 52 kWh. Took 45 mints to go from 15-100%.

Also, I think I kinda like the regen breaking. You just need to judge the distance right when approaching the red lights. Only problem right now is the gas pedal adds a little friction with regen on and hence you need to push down little harder. Then when I switch to my aviator I am pushing down way too hard on gas and it goes off like crazy pulling out of the garage. Lol

Going back-and-forth between regen and non regen mode will be a little tricky for a while.

Last edited:
a dedicated GFCI breaker or a regular one?Today at the Tesla supercharger I was maxing out at 95 kWh. Turned out I didn’t precondition the battery(I didn’t know I had to) and so it was cold and limited charging rate. Eventually it dropped down to 52 kWh. Took 45 mints to go from 15-100%.

Also, I think I kinda like the regen breaking. You just need to judge the distance right when approaching the red lights. Only problem right now is the gas pedal adds a little friction with regen on and hence you need to push down little harder. Then when I switch to my aviator I am pushing down way too hard on gas and it goes off like crazy pulling out of the garage. Lol

Going back-and-forth between regen and non regen mode will be a little tricky for a while.
I think that's the plug he used(14/50). Not GFCI I think. You'll LOVE the regen braking once you get used to it. It's a key part of the EV experience.....put that energy to good use instead of wasting it on heat with friction brakes. I predict you'll be looking to sell your fossil vehicle sooner rather than later once you get used to the Tesla and never having to pay lots of money to dispense flammable/combustible liquid into your vehicle.

I think that's the plug he used(14/50). Not GFCI I think. You'll LOVE the regen braking once you get used to it. It's a key part of the EV experience.....put that energy to good use instead of wasting it on heat with friction brakes. I predict you'll be looking to sell your fossil vehicle sooner rather than later once you get used to the Tesla and never having to pay lots of money to dispense flammable/combustible liquid into your vehicle.
Maybe soon but not yet. It’s still a new technology and a lot of unknowns like battery life at below freezing temperatures and more easily accessible charging stations. The nearest super charger station for me is 18 miles away. And if I am low on battery, and if I need to make an unplanned trip real quick I still need a back up vehicle that is readily available without having to wait long hours of charging.

Hopefully they will come up with even improved technology so the in-home charging stations are much more faster and the battery can handle harsh weather conditions.

FYI, If you use the nav to route you to the supercharger, the car will automatically precondition on the drive.