Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliveries before Dec 31 as promised by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sound like you're just envious should others get their MR before December. Not a good look. Maybe you were afraid of the "risk," but others are confident and you hate that you weren't.
@Esquire That’s plain ridiculous. I’m not envious nor afraid, as I just purchased my dream Tesla: a P85 in Sig Red and like new condition. I have a garage full of cars and don’t NEED another one. The 3 was simply a WANT that annoyed my wife because she wishes I’d just enjoy all the cars I already have. To me, cars are art that I enjoy just by looking (even if I don’t own them). My post wasn’t about me; I really hope that some new Tesla owners don’t have unrealistic expectations that will cause financial or emotional hardship. My desire is that every single 3 order is fulfilled by Santa and Tesla elves keep everyone happy. But, again, there are many delivery logistics that are totally out of Elon’s and Tesla’s control (contractually called Force Majeure events, which I previously listed as examples). For most people at this stage, the 3 is their ONLY car and also a financial stretch for many ($45k+ is still an expensive car for most). I was only trying to have folks use caution and be prepared that not every Elon tweet (regarding timelines) comes true! There are many new Tesla owners here who have NOT followed all of the broken Tesla promises (usually tied to overly-aggressive “Elon time”) over the past decade that I’ve closely watched. Truly and sincerely , I wish the best of luck to EVERYONE in your December receipt of your 3, and hopefully in great condition :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Esquire
image.jpg
My guess is that Tesla will just allow you to cancel your order and get a 100% refund of your deposit.
This will be my final post on this topic. No one needs to GUESS what Tesla’s terms are, as Tesla clearly spells this out in each buyer’s Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Terms & Conditions. Please read the paragraphs titled “Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes” and “Cancellation; Default.” Tesla clearly states your $2,500 Order Payment is NOT a normal deposit. Once Tesla matches up a 3 to your Order, Tesla no longer has any obligation to refund anything. Yes, Elon can be generous and do something more, but the Agreement Ts&Cs are quite clear and different from Elon’s tweet promise. He once stated that my $1k Reservation on 3/31/16 gave me priority on my 3. Then Elon said my purchase of my S gave me even higher priority in line. Then that all changed as Tesla struggled financially and almost died earlier this year, according to Elon. Don’t freak out, as Tesla’s production is now doing fantastic (reportedly churning out 1k 3s daily). So hopefully everyone gets their 3. But just know what the potential downside is (clearly written in your MVPA T&Cs). Good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
View attachment 356705
This will be my final post on this topic. No one needs to GUESS what Tesla’s terms are, as Tesla clearly spells this out in each buyer’s Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Terms & Conditions. Please read the paragraphs titled “Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes” and “Cancellation; Default.” Tesla clearly states your $2,500 Order Payment is NOT a normal deposit. Once Tesla matches up a 3 to your Order, Tesla no longer has any obligation to refund anything. Yes, Elon can be generous and do something more, but the Agreement Ts&Cs are quite clear and different from Elon’s tweet promise. He once stated that my $1k Reservation on 3/31/16 gave me priority on my 3. Then Elon said my purchase of my S gave me even higher priority in line. Then that all changed as Tesla struggled financially and almost died earlier this year, according to Elon. Don’t freak out, as Tesla’s production is now doing fantastic (reportedly churning out 1k 3s daily). So hopefully everyone gets their 3. But just know what the potential downside is (clearly written in your MVPA T&Cs). Good luck!

True, but as Mr. Musk has found out the SEC takes his tweets seriously. Between the tweets and the company website saying you will get the car by the end of the year, I'm betting they will give something to those that may miss that deadline.

If not, a class action lawsuit may be sure to follow. if nothing else, there reputation will absolutely be in the toilet. The diehards will eventually run dry and you will have to convince skeptics that Tesla is the car company for them, and missteps will not be forgotten.

That being said, I believe they will deliver 99.9% of these cars before the end of the year. I still wish that had better status notifications versus the zero they provide now.

View attachment 356707

This is now at the bottom of the Model 3 page, so seems like it is semi-official.
Sorry, I must point out that Tesla never guarantees delivery in this “ad.” Tesla merely pledges to “expedite shipping” but does not guarantee everyone’s delivery and tax credit. Being “eligible” for the tax credit by no means ensures one receives said tax credit. I truly wish 100% of 3 orders happen, but words do have meaning. Good luck all !

Sorry, I must point out that Tesla never guarantees delivery in this “ad.” Tesla merely pledges to “expedite shipping” but does not guarantee everyone’s delivery and tax credit. Being “eligible” for the tax credit by no means ensures one receives said tax credit. I truly wish 100% of 3 orders happen, but words do have meaning. Good luck all !

It’s also problematic if people buy the car and then find out their individual circumstances don’t allow them the 7500 credit. Tesla can’t control that.

Accidents, force majure, anything can slip a delivery into 2019.

Reactions: 2012MS85
I think eligibility means your car is delivered before the end of the year because starting Jan. 1 the tax credit is reduced to $3750 (and you won't be eligible for the $7500 amount any more). You also have to have at least $7500 of income tax liability in order to claim the full credit. Its also why the tax credit notice on the Model 3 page says " for 2018 delivery".

On the M3 order page, at the bottom it said “December delivery”. Nothing more and nothing less, no footnotes or asterisks, no gotchas. If there was an asterisk saying “we anticipate December delivery but not guaranteed”, then that’s one thing. But those two words are a promise and a guarantee in my book and I believe many lawyers would agree. Tesla would have to do something to right the wrong if they don’t make good on their word.

Reactions: jsrawa
Given what we're hearing about delivery timelines, I figure Tesla is going to successfully deliver 99.9% of the orders made by the end of November by December 31st. For the remaining few, they may offer a $3750 rebate or a full refund, but I think the total number of cars for which this happens is going to be less than 50 cars.

On the M3 order page, at the bottom it said “December delivery”. Nothing more and nothing less, no footnotes or asterisks, no gotchas. If there was an asterisk saying “we anticipate December delivery but not guaranteed”, then that’s one thing. But those two words are a promise and a guarantee in my book and I believe many lawyers would agree. Tesla would have to do something to right the wrong if they don’t make good on their word.

You are right that Tesla should do something to right the wrong if they don’t deliver by 12/31, and I think they are a decent enough company to do that. However, legally speaking (and I’m not a lawyer), they may not have to. They give themselves an out in the MVPA we agree to when the order is placed. It says:

The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle, if provided, is only an estimate as we do not guarantee when your Vehicle will actually be delivered. Your actual delivery date is dependent on many factors, including your Vehicle’s configuration and manufacturing availability.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85 and Babs89
You are right that Tesla should do something to right the wrong if they don’t deliver by 12/31, and I think they are a decent enough company to do that. However, legally speaking (and I’m not a lawyer), they may not have to. They give themselves an out in the MVPA we agree to when the order is placed. It says:

The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle, if provided, is only an estimate as we do not guarantee when your Vehicle will actually be delivered. Your actual delivery date is dependent on many factors, including your Vehicle’s configuration and manufacturing availability.

See that would be jargon for lawyers to figure out. When ordered, I had an estimate of 6-10 weeks and it specifically said “estimate”. The “December delivery” phrase doesn’t seem like an estimate to me. But who knows...guess we’ll find out lol.