Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Anxiety?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 early June after decided to trade in my aging MS with V1 AP. I started reading on the forum about the horror stories about delivery center dilemma and quality issues such as cracked windshield, rough paint job, misaligned panel. Needless to say, on the delivery day I was having anxiety attack not knowing what do find on my Red M3 with Dual Motors and Long Range option. Since this is end of the month and the Federal Energy credit will be cut in half in July, I know I have no option to reject the delivery if something is really wrong. I never had this kind of worries after purchasing more than 20 new cars in my life including the MS.
I drove up to the Costa Mesa DC which notorious has been reports about delivery issues. We were 5 minutes early and were met by people at the entrance. They took my trade-in documents (tittle, registration) and my keys and we walked the check-in area. We were checked in within a minute and were led into the delivery waiting area. I was stunned by the view of such big crowd (I compared that to a Southwest Airline gate area) and we couldn't find a place to sit. But soon the area started to empty as new cars were moving out. It was very pleasant to have a staff roam around the area asking if we had questions about the vehicle. As we cheated, I saw what looked like my order was driven in and a gentleman called my name. From that point on, things moved fast. A couple signatures, wrote a check and the gentleman disappeared and returned a minute later to bring us to the car. While he was explaining the feature of my car, my wife was checking for any visible problems as described on the forums many times before. I had not time to check because I was with the delivery rep. My wife found two little bubbles on the paint. I decided not make a deal out of it since fixing them might make the paint looked worse.
Overall, it was a very pleasant surprise that the DC must have improved so much after so many complaints. There certainly was an abundance of staffs to attend to customers. The whole delivery process took exactly 30 minutes from the time I drove in to driving out.
I still have anxieties of what wrong things to find in the days ahead. I am afraid to run my hand over the paint job and find more bubbles. I am looking for things that do work or pieces to fall off or misaligned. I think this is what Tesla needs to work on besides trying to push out more cars. I am sure it will take me a few weeks to have my anxieties to subside when I found nothing wrong. At this time, the body panels, bumpers seemed all line up nicely. Time will tell.

Glad to hear it went all right.

For what it’s worth, we took delivery in a rush of the last few days of a sales tax incentive. It went well, and the only issue we found, a small leak in the trunk seal a couple of months later, was fixed at a service center without issue.

Same experience picking up my M3 at Costa Mesa this past Friday. Drove in, guys in front took my trade/keys/registration. Shown to the waiting area, and the man there was able to sell me the wheel cap/covers for the 18's and a NEMA 14-50 for the mobile adapter. I watched in amazement as M3s were pulled in, signings happened, then the space opened up again for same process.

Its a shame delivery seemed to just want to process me and free up that space. I had a friend that bought last year, and the delivery was much more personal I guess.

Good, I took home delivery in December at night at a Supercharger with zero SOC. Last delivery of the day, the driver handed me two key cards, had me sign a document, took my trade-in, and then drove away. No, we didn't inspect the car. No, he didn't explain a single thing, since he wasn't a Tesla employee. It was winter in Maine, so he wasn't exactly going to stick around while I looked at the zero SOC car under some weak parking lot lights. Luckily, nothing was egregious, some rough paint spots, panels good, battery survived being zero all day in Winter, but I got him to document it.

Reactions: jsanford and N5329K
Thank you. As I started to drive the new M3 and compared to my 2014 MS, I would say it handles better (may be bc of the dual motors). For my MS, when I accelerate, the car tended to push to the side a little bit. I actually had to have a fix before when the MS would move to the right when I pushed the pedal. The feel of the M3 is tight and precise. The brake paddle does not give a sound when released like the MS. If I want to pick bone from the egg, where is the HomeLink button. It is a love hate feature since the old MS would signal the garage open when I drove up. The hate part is it would close the garage for me if it was opened already. It can be a safety hazard. So, back to the old clicker.
Why didn't Tesla include the NEMA connector for home charging? Is it true that most people use 110 to charge at home or pay for the Super Charging? On the positive side, they only charge $35 for the adapter. A lot more reasonable than the $300 garage opener. :)