Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day but out of town

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla wants to deliver their cars as quickly after production so they can book that revenue.

They do not usually have acres of storage space at their delivery centers, so have no way to store ordered vehicles until customers can find it convenient to pick up.

Their incentive and ability to change around delivery dates is fluid, and most likely only your delivery center can give you a current decision on what will happen if you do not pick up your car.

Often, at the end of a Quarter they push to get every domestic delivery done as is possible. After the EOQ, they usually focus all production on international orders, so they can get those cars delivered by the next Quarter. These logistics often mean that even missing you deilvery by a couple days can mean a month or so delay in getting another one to your configuration.

Other times, with thousands of Tesla on their way to regions, a replacement VIN can pop up in just a day or so.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
It’s sad that others have gone through this as well. I ran my credit, had everything good to go. Unfortunately I was out of town on a business trip and missed the “Delivery” window and now my vehicle says it’ll be ready in two months or so!!!
My advisor claimed he’d put me down on a priority list. Is that actually a thing ?
Lmao no it’s not. Tesla CS will say anything these days 😭😂

Yeah I'm confused about how this process works. I had a March two week window that changed to end of April - End of May and I'm planned for travel in the early part of May. So I'm not really sure how that iill work if i'm out of town and can't come back. However, I hope the likelihood of it moving up to end of April is higher but doubtful.

How are you all getting notified that your VIN is available? Email, text, call, push from the app? My delivery window is 6/14 (tomorrow) - 6/28. And of course I'm on a business trip 6/26 - 7/1. It seems entirely unfair they shift the dates all over the place but expect us to stop everything on a dime when they are ready.

How are you all getting notified that your VIN is available? Email, text, call, push from the app? My delivery window is 6/14 (tomorrow) - 6/28. And of course I'm on a business trip 6/26 - 7/1. It seems entirely unfair they shift the dates all over the place but expect us to stop everything on a dime when they are ready.

I received a text and notification in the app. Until your VIN is assigned, expect the EDD to still move all over the place.

After my VIN was assigned (back in January of this year), I texted a couple questions back and whoever was responding coordinated/confirmed a (home) delivery date with me shortly after.