Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Experience Vin 26XXX Orlando, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I wanted to detail my pickup experience for my AWD/LR/Blue/Black/FSD MY yesterday in Orlando.

Our pick up was yesterday at 4 pm, however, returning my lease was much faster than I anticipated so I made it to Tesla at about 3 pm. Since there was/is a hurricane impending, they moved up all Sunday's delivery's to yesterday, so the SC was busy! We had to wait about 35 minutes (which was no problem since we were early). We saw a few other people taking MY deliveries (mostly Pearl White ones). Susie came to greet us with our paperwork. We signed a few papers and she said "let me bring it around, I would like to park in the sun at first so you can get a good look and inspect" which i appreciated (however FL sun was brutal, haha) I saw her move it to the front of the SC (it's a beautiful car). She came back in and said "OK there is a problem", my heart sank, "There is a big scratch I noticed on the passenger back panel above the wheel". I wondered, how they didn't catch that upon initial inspection. She said, "I am the store manager and I am helping out on deliveries, what I am going to do is put an immediate work order in to have an entire new panel sent. We will then bring the car back in and replace the entire panel" I appreciated how upfront she was and thought it must be a pretty nasty scratch.

Before i get into the detail of my inspection, I should preface, I spent A LOT of time reading blogs here and YouTube videos on gaps, issues, paint chips, etc. However, I have never been all that nit picky with cars in the past (I came from leasing so i would get a new car every 2-3 years for the last 10) I never inspected panel gaps, paint, looked for smudges, etc. I always just got in the car and drove it. I wondered when I actually went to pick it up, would I be like I have before, fairly careless, or would I be like many and inspect with great detail. The honest answer is, it fell somewhere in the middle.

OK, sorry, back to the story. First thing Susie did was take us out (made sure she got us cold water) and showed us the scratch. I could barely see it, lol. She had to point it out to me. Once she did, I saw what she was talking about but wondered why I didn't think it was as big of a deal as she seemed it was based on her concern. She said "typically, we touch these up, but I don't want your brand new car to be touched up, I want it to be new and perfect" I really appreciated that.

Here was my inspection:

I saw a few "chips" in the paint. I took some pics and continued to move on. Susie came back out with more cold water for us. She then introduced us to Matthew who she said would note any concerns and give us an overview. I pointed out the chips in the paint, he walked over to all but one of them and used his fingernail and they came right off. Apparently, it is common for some of the plastic wrap from the factory to stick on, to me they looked like paint chips but they came right off.

One of the wheel-well covers looked to be protruding more than the rest, he noted it.

The passenger door sounded like it was hitting something when it closed but i couldn't find what, he noted it.

There was a panel gap on the passenger side hatch and the tail lights seem to stick out but both sides were consistent in its depth. He noted it.

We got inside and everything looked good. Yes there was a few smudges which came right out. Yes the coat hangers look like they cost .000002 cents. Yes there is a nasty nasty weld mark on the brake pedal but its painted black so you can't really tell (that one struck me as odd, since its standard on all of them, why not put the weld on the back?)

Anyway, he noted the concerns and then I was expecting to leave and he said, let me take it to service to fix these, I was a bit shocked. "like right now?" I said. Sure enough, he got in and drove it to service and asked us to wait back in the lobby with AC and got us more water. (by then I had to pee so bad from all the $62K "free" waters). 30 minutes later he returned and said to come take a look. They got off all the paint blemished, with exception of the "big scratch". They adjusted the back door, the wheel-well cover. They did say those lovely words, "the taillights and trunk gaps are within spec". But honestly, it didn't bother me, I may have been more bothered if there was a noticeable disparity between the left and right side but there isn't.

Susie came back out and gave me her personal e-mail (and more water). She said, when the part comes in they will send you a note and you can let me know, personally, if there is anything else you need. I asked her, "We are a one car household, I certainly don't mind bringing it in but could I please have a loaner" she said, "absolutely, send me an email about 3 days prior to your service apt, I will make sure we set one aside for you.

Matthew went through everything with us "it was hardly "contact-less" but we all kept a safe distance and wore masks, so it felt safe"

Susie came back out and helped us take a picture in front of the new car. I couldn't believe with as busy as she was and the fact she was the store manager, she paid so much attention to her customers. Pretty remarkable. (and maybe that's how store managers should always be, but it is a rarity these days"

I was in at 3 pm, signed paperwork at 340, pulled out in our amazing new car at 5 pm.

It was one of the best car buying experiences I have ever had. Were there issues, sure. Was the car perfect, no. Was there an unlimited supply of bottled water, yes.

Sorry for the long post and a lot of useless information but hopefully there is some morsel in this that will ease future MY buyers.

I am home now with a beautiful car and 10 empty bottles of water.

Here are some pics of the issues (note, all but the taillights were fixed)

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Reactions: thisisdiddy
Glad to hear of your positive experience! I am trying to stay positive as I wait for mine as well. I can’t believe how nit picky some folks are here. Get some therapy for that level of OCD! Sweet blue color, that’s what I’m waiting for as well.

Reactions: Inforthechase
Glad to hear of your positive experience! I am trying to stay positive as I wait for mine as well. I can’t believe how nit picky some folks are here. Get some therapy for that level of OCD! Sweet blue color, that’s what I’m waiting for as well.
I picked up mu Model Y a week ago
258xx Vin range I thought the car was pretty darn good. I noted no issues .I would say of concern to a rational person. I think your delivery day should be special not saying you shouldn't look things over.
People here at times are straight crazy.
I got my car PPF 100% the C quartz
I have a great guy in Hillsborough NJ
If anyone is looking.
He pointed out one Issue with the car.
The left side hood if you take a good look and run your finger across is slightly higher than the right.
Seriously a real non factor.
Tesla said when they install homelink they can adjust.
Please please dont ruin delivery day

Congrats! Beautiful car (and color)!

Is “the scratch” in the paint or in the black plastic trim?

Sounded like it was in the paint. I’m confused by this because body panels don’t come painted from the factory; if they’re replacing an entire panel, they’ll repaint part of your car at a body shop. Seems very excessive for a minor scratch you can barely see, and I wouldn’t agree to that. I assume you mean the scrape in the black plastic? If so that’s an easy replacement.

Congrats! Beautiful car (and color)!

Is “the scratch” in the paint or in the black plastic trim?

Sounded like it was in the paint. I’m confused by this because body panels don’t come painted from the factory; if they’re replacing an entire panel, they’ll repaint part of your car at a body shop. Seems very excessive for a minor scratch you can barely see, and I wouldn’t agree to that. I assume you mean the scrape in the black plastic? If so that’s an easy replacement.

it’s on the panel at the border of the plastic. Here is a close up:

Attachments

• BCC3AD37-FAC2-4D7E-A930-E83871498E23.jpeg
    BCC3AD37-FAC2-4D7E-A930-E83871498E23.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 101