Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery from Inventory - the new Normal for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
A few days ago I was told by a Tesla sales agent in Chicagoland that a high level of Model 3 inventory will be maintained after the year ends. Most orders will be delivered rather quickly from inventory cars in the most commonly requested configurations. It will be only requests for configurations not in inventory that will be made-to-order in Fremont.

This makes sense for high volume cars like the Model 3. The ability to receive almost immediate delivery should incentivize many potential buyers, especially those whose current cars have developed problems. Tesla is becoming a mainstream car company.

I'm not sure if it's the new normal. There definitely was a push to manufacture cars in anticipation of year end surge due to Federal Tax Credit phase out. If the internet is to be believed, the surge didn't happen to its predicted potential, leaving Tesla with over 3,000 Model 3s all over the US. I don't think it was intentional to have that many just laying around in case someone wanted an in-stock configuration. Citation Tesla has over 3,000 Model 3 vehicles left in inventory in the US

This would be a horrific use of cash, and perfectly antithetical to Elon's comments on the most recent earnings call when he talked about reducing time from production to delivery as a key source of cash. I think he said each day's reduction adds $70 million to the balance sheet. And, we all know that the vast majority of Tesla store employees are less educated than those on this forum.

This would be a horrific use of cash, and perfectly antithetical to Elon's comments on the most recent earnings call when he talked about reducing time from production to delivery as a key source of cash. I think he said each day's reduction adds $70 million to the balance sheet. And, we all know that the vast majority of Tesla store employees are less educated than those on this forum.

Probably true, but this (nor any other) forum do not represent the vast majority of buyers. Forum communities tend to be very informed, passionate, ehem... "vocal"... but they do not usually represent "joe / jane buyer" very well.

Joe / Jane buyer want to go down to a "dealership" (store) take a test drive, buy a car and leave with it. Joe / Jane buyer usually do not order cars... unlike many people on forum communities for many brands.

Tesla needs to be able to deliver cars in a week or less to really capture joe / jane buyer. Ideally, they would get a car about as fast as they get an amazon order.

Tesla doesnt have lots of place to store cars, so they really need to get to the point where they get VERY good at anticipating demand, and have the cars in the general area that the buyers want them in. Every "option" they add reduces the ability to just "make the cars", and match them to people later without too much wait.

So, having some "inventory" is ok. In this specific case, I believe its better for tesla to have overshot and produced too many cars right now (end of year tax incentive) than not be able to meet demand. Not meeting demand would have become a HUGE story, even if it was peoples fault for waiting till the last minute. Much better to have some inventory right now, and encourage people to buy now.

If I were tesla, I would probably have another price cut on the Model 3 long range / P model of the exact amount of the tax cut, sometime late january /early february to try to keep the momentum rolling.

Reactions: Curt Renz and Dre78