Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often inventory updated presently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the SoCal area and want to buy a new MYLR for my daughter without having the need to order if possible. She wants a specific color (exterior and interior) but otherwise has no other requests. The exact configuration was there last week but she wasn't sure yet so I did not commit then. Now that she has decided, it is gone. Willing to travel up to 50 miles but given the high gas prices in LA, ongoing UAW strikes which isn't helping inventory of the big 3, Model Ys may become less available. I've checked inventory every day but do they add vehicles throughout the day and should I be checking more? I work in front of a computer so can check frequently if need be. Could someone suggest a better strategy other than ordering? There is no urgency but it would be nice to have one sooner than later.

I'm in the SoCal area and want to buy a new MYLR for my daughter without having the need to order if possible. She wants a specific color (exterior and interior) but otherwise has no other requests. The exact configuration was there last week but she wasn't sure yet so I did not commit then. Now that she has decided, it is gone. Willing to travel up to 50 miles but given the high gas prices in LA, ongoing UAW strikes which isn't helping inventory of the big 3, Model Ys may become less available. I've checked inventory every day but do they add vehicles throughout the day and should I be checking more? I work in front of a computer so can check frequently if need be. Could someone suggest a better strategy other than ordering? There is no urgency but it would be nice to have one sooner than later.
Friday there were none within 200 miles of Denver. Monday there were at least 6, all in transit. I ordered the cheapest white mylr - $4200 off. I asked about the discount and was told it was based on how long it sat on the lot. So I guess they are moving them from stale markets to hot ones. I checked every day for about a week.

Good luck.

I waited about a week to pull the trigger on my LR MY. In that time I saw probably 6-8 cars I would consider come and go. I missed out on a configuration I liked that was about $1500 less than the one I bought because I was waiting for money transfers between banks and such. As it is, the one I got was $1500 off the regular price, so I can't complain too much. Another problem was several of the cars would be 'in transit' to a place near me but there was no way to know when it would get there and I had a smallish window on when I could pick up the car due to work scheduling.

Thanks, there was one configuration very close and we were just about to buy but then realized that me and my wife are going out of town soon. We don't want my daughter tempted to drive on her own as she is a new driver. If it the Tesla order page states available immediately, from forum members experience, does that mean the car can be picked up the day of or the day after?

Friday there were none within 200 miles of Denver. Monday there were at least 6, all in transit. I ordered the cheapest white mylr - $4200 off. I asked about the discount and was told it was based on how long it sat on the lot. So I guess they are moving them from stale markets to hot ones. I checked every day for about a week.

Good luck.
There are no discounts on MYLR in my area (SoCal) but when we looked for cars in Princeton NJ (where we moved from), discounts of at least several thousand are the norm. This is also part of the CA tax I suppose.

Thanks, there was one configuration very close and we were just about to buy but then realized that me and my wife are going out of town soon. We don't want my daughter tempted to drive on her own as she is a new driver. If it the Tesla order page states available immediately, from forum members experience, does that mean the car can be picked up the day of or the day after?
When you pay the $250 you will start the registration process in the app. This didn’t go very smoothly for us due to several bugs that had to be manually corrected. I think by the time I got to the scheduling phase it was a day later. That being said, if you have all your financing and insurance in order and don’t hit any snags you MIGHT be able to pick it up same day, but more likely the soonest would be the next day. They initially only give you a 3 day window to schedule pickup once you get to the scheduling phase.

There are no discounts on MYLR in my area (SoCal) but when we looked for cars in Princeton NJ (where we moved from), discounts of at least several thousand are the norm. This is also part of the CA tax I suppose.
The discounts come and go. I’m in SoCal and saw numerous discounts. But I was buying at the tail end of Sept when you could transfer FSD to your purchase so I think they were getting snapped up quickly.

Tesla site says Oct-Nov delivery so very reasonable but her desired configuration (Blue/white interior/LR/5 seat/any wheels) seems to pop up here and there so we can just pick it up whenever. I have a MSLR delivered Aug 2022 which I waited for 6 months when demand was high.
Once you order the car, your delivery advisor will monitor inventory and let you know if a suitable match comes up, so you might be able to grab it. If you don’t order until you see the car in inventory, it might not be there by the time the order goes in. I don’t see any downside to placing the order if you know what you want.

Fun Tip:
I purchased a Used S from Tesla a couple years ago. Try searching from different IP addresses. I looked for weeks at home then visited my parents and used their computer and BOOM there was the perfect one! :)
-Libby

We found the exact car this morning; located at an Tesla shop about an hour away. Had the Tesla rep contact us from the webpage link which she did. Reserved the car and drove it home by the afternoon. Very quick and efficient. No BS as I would have gotten from a traditional dealership. Daughter is very happy.

• Love
Reactions: XCare EV and Resist
Just by curiosity, what model year and version, color and options, mileage... and maybe price?

(I wonder what kind of deal you get compared to the recent price drop and IRA tax discount?)
Just got a new in inventory MYLR, blue, white interior, smallest/base wheels, 3 miles. I am assuming 2023 year. Price before destination was 50,490 so no discount off site but I imagine this is regional as I stated above. We did get a referral credit of $250 which offset the $250 order fee LOL.