Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery in different state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm thinking about ordering the model 3. I am a resident in Ohio but interested in having the car delivered in Washington or California so I can fly in, and road trip the country for a few weeks before getting it home. Does anyone know is this allowable/feasible? I figured I'd see if anyone has any real world experience with this before trying to get answer from Tesla.

Thanks!

I know deliveries are possible in any state that you would like. As a resident of Michigan, I am going to have it delivered in Chicago. Others go to Cleveland since it can't be sold in Michigan.

The item you should figure out is about the states that have 'reciprocal' tax benefits with OH. For Example, California would charge you their sales Tax and you would need to pay in OH as well. I think GA is also non- reciprocal with most other states.

So as long as you find a state that would honor OH rate, you can take delivery. I am sure Tesla would know about this logic.

Hey all,

I'm thinking about ordering the model 3. I am a resident in Ohio but interested in having the car delivered in Washington or California so I can fly in, and road trip the country for a few weeks before getting it home. Does anyone know is this allowable/feasible? I figured I'd see if anyone has any real world experience with this before trying to get answer from Tesla.

Thanks!

While I expect that there have been thousands of successful deliveries, there have been a few with issues. So it may happen that you car gets delayed, so be ready for it. Also, it may be possible that delivery charges in CA may be cheaper than other places.

My situation is a little different but similar. I ordered and set up delivery for Indiana. Now because of Covid-19, we are still in California. They unpaired me with the car and said I could be paired with another vehicle when I was ready. I want to change delivery to a different state (CA) and then drive it cross country. Anyone done this? Still trying to reach someone at Tesla about this.

My situation is a little different but similar. I ordered and set up delivery for Indiana. Now because of Covid-19, we are still in California. They unpaired me with the car and said I could be paired with another vehicle when I was ready. I want to change delivery to a different state (CA) and then drive it cross country. Anyone done this? Still trying to reach someone at Tesla about this.
Your gonna have to pay sales tax in CA as well which isn’t cheap.