Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla France! WTF!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently trying to buy a Tesla Y in Paris, France, and I'm quite livid now as the experience was quite unbelievable. The entire experience in buying a car was simply horrendous! I'm not sure if this is a Tesla cultural issue or France itself, but the folks simply don't seem to give a *sugar* about selling any of their cars. I get it, Teslas are selling themselves and don't need sales people but only product, but for me as a foreigner trying to buy a car in France, I found this to be one of the most unpleasant buying experiences for a big ticket item. Firstly, I was told there was no need for a foreign resident permit, so went ahead and deposited the 250 Euro to proceed with the purchase. Then, the onboarding service guy tells me I need a foreign resident permit, and he won't sell me the car, simply stating that the I need to remove my order and wait until I get one. I read online and consulted with others, and simply there was no rule that you need a permanent resident to purchase a car. Even refugees/illegal immigrants can buy a car in France! Anyway, we are going back and forth for over a week on this matter, eventhough I'm giving him evidence, just replies that he needs a permanent resident status, was like talking to a wall for a week. Then finally I ended up going to the Tesla show room to ask what was going on, they laugh it off like I'm the typical foreigner, etc.. Even during the test drive phase, these guys wouldn't accept my drivers license from Asia which I had to translate and legalize by the French consulate; however, they accepted my still valid Canadian driver's license.... this Tesla guy finally accepts my official visa that allows me to stay in France. Now, he sends me a quote that is way above the official price for a Tesla Y. I have to say, I've never in my life felt bullied when trying to buy a friggin car! Has anyone else experience this with Tesla France (being a foreigner from a native English speaking country)? And, is there any way to file a complaint agains this Tesla guy!?? I felt discriminated as well throughout this entire process!

That's sad. I thought all salesman are scam artists doing whatever to sell you the car. But, sounds like the experience you received is absolutely nuts! Salesman isn't doing his job of being a salesman.
do you mean Tesla sales people in the USA actually want to help with the onboarding/selling process? I feel Youtube is Tesla's sales force, I already had all the knowledge before buying by watching all these Tesla influencers online, so there is really no need for explanation from these sales folks, but they should be helpful in getting you to complete the transaction and delivering the car. I'm literally wondering if these French Tesla folks will compromise the car for whatever reason during delivery, like a cook spitting in your food when there are issues with customers. It's a very unsettling experience, would never of thought when buying an expensive product!

Were you finaly be able to purchase a Tesla?

Can't you just make an order from the Tesla website instead of dealing with a salesperson?

About the state of residency, this seems similar to the US:

Reactions: ewoodrick
Were you finaly be able to purchase a Tesla?

Can't you just make an order from the Tesla website instead of dealing with a salesperson?

About the state of residency, this seems similar to the US:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, but in France, a foreign/permanent resident card is the equivalent of a green card in the US. They finally conceded, can proceed now, but am expecting more hiccups… I can’t believe i’m going through all this trouble to buy a car. Other dealers/makers would be all over you to buy… well, I guess it’s a Tesla, wonder how much longer this product will stop selling itself. Other EV makers still suck.

I can’t really say I have much experience with French Salesmen at all, but your description of your experience pretty much covers all the stereotypes and/or the little experience with French service personal i have.

the only experiences i've had with sales persons in paris were the stores/boutiques.

they really didn't want to help or sell us anything in their store.

felt like they got more upset when we were speaking to them in english.

hope everything got cleared and you were able to purchase your tesla.

Reactions: JøhP and KMC_307
Consider the bigger picture. The typical process is that when you pick up a new car, it will have been registered to you, and you will have your insurance policy already active, so it can be legally driven off the lot.

Both those process typically require the registrant/insuree have some valid residency status. It’s not coming from Tesla, it’s coming from the state and insurer.

I’m sure Tesla would not mind selling you just the physical vehicle and have you flatbed it away. But you need to appreciate that that is not a typical scenario and the staff would not be familiar with it.

And then why are you bothering with the salesperson? Use the online order process - the price you see is the price you get.

When I bought cars in 2 other countries, somewhere along the way the residency issue came into play (in 1 case its required for everyone as a form of personal identification).

Theoretically, maybe it is possible to do all this as a foreign alien, but this is really unusual and its not Tesla at fault for it.