TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Delivery in different state?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by paraglide, Jul 26, 2018.

1. paraglide

paraglide New Member

Hey all,

I'm thinking about ordering the model 3. I am a resident in Ohio but interested in having the car delivered in Washington or California so I can fly in, and road trip the country for a few weeks before getting it home. Does anyone know is this allowable/feasible? I figured I'd see if anyone has any real world experience with this before trying to get answer from Tesla.

Thanks!

2. osu_cowboy_007

Not sure about it is NY/NJ thing but my ISA assigned NY location for the delivery even though the car is for NJ, so it might be possible.

3. glide

glide Member

Not possible in CA u less you want to pay double-tax (Ca rate is close to 10% if I recall).

Ask your SA

4. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Maybe delivery in Montana will work. Then do Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Seattle/Portland/SFO/LA/Vegas/Zion/Denver/Vail/Aspen and any other cool stops

5. oldorchard

oldorchard Member

I know deliveries are possible in any state that you would like. As a resident of Michigan, I am going to have it delivered in Chicago. Others go to Cleveland since it can't be sold in Michigan.

The item you should figure out is about the states that have 'reciprocal' tax benefits with OH. For Example, California would charge you their sales Tax and you would need to pay in OH as well. I think GA is also non- reciprocal with most other states.

So as long as you find a state that would honor OH rate, you can take delivery. I am sure Tesla would know about this logic.

6. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

I'm in TN and getting mine in GA. They said the taxes would be collected based on the state I am registering the car in (TN).

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

While I expect that there have been thousands of successful deliveries, there have been a few with issues. So it may happen that you car gets delayed, so be ready for it. Also, it may be possible that delivery charges in CA may be cheaper than other places.

8. thelastdeadmouse

Delivery charge is a flat 1k no matter where you take delivery, factory included.

9. NickFie

NickFie Member

Bought an inventory car with Chicago delivery. Asked to have PA plates and sales tax, since we live there and register the car there.

That’s what I got. Plus a nice drive home.

One benefit of dealing with a national sales organization instead of a gaggle of franchises.

10. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

When they offered me home delivery, they said the person delivering wouldn't necessarily know anything about Teslas, couldn't train or help with setup. Apparently just a guy driving the truck.