Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to start a new thread as to not muddy up the Hawaii Model 3 thread.

The original post/situation:
So my delivery is pretty messed up.
Was originally Monday the 27th, but due to Hurricane Lane I asked to push it to Tuesday the 28th. Sure no problem.
They called me Monday afternoon and told me my car wasn't ready and rescheduled me for Friday.
I got a call last night at 6:50p saying my car was just received 10min ago and would not be ready for delivery at 9:30am, but later in the day.
Delivery manager called me a little while ago (I'm really hating receiving calls from Tesla now) and said my car didn't pass inspection and they need to order a part, so I need to wait probably another frickin month.
I want to cancel this but there is nothing out there like a Tesla.
Can we swear on here? cause this effing sucks. :mad:

My IDA in Vegas is trying to help me get a replacement Model 3 so that I can take delivery ahead of repairing my original one, which is super cool that she is trying to do that.
Currently my new delivery date now says "Late September" but I'm hoping my IDA will pull off a miracle. :)

My problem(s):
  • I no longer have a VIN number, but I have insurance which I've already paid for.
  • My anxiety is directly related to my current ICE which I am trading in, longer possession increases chance of decreased valuation.
If this has happened to anyone, (delayed delivery) what did you do about your insurance?

• Informative
Reactions: Rudyshoe
Hasn't happened to me, but can you call your insurance company and see if they will lower your rate and put the new car in 'storage' status or something similar? I've done that in the past when leaving my car garaged for several months.

As for the value of your ICE, one month may cost you a little, but it's all a wash in the end. Tesla gave me a wholesale estimate for my car that went down a little after about two months when I finally traded it in. $500 or $1K less wasn't a deal breaker for me.

When I first took delivery there were some minor issues with my Tesla, but I haven't had an issue in a long time and I love the car more than anything I've owned in the past. It is in a league of its own and makes traditional cars feel 20 years old.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the delivery. The Hawaii SC staff are really good and I'm sure they're doing the best they can with what they're able to control. The delayed delivery of your vehicle might have been due to the issues with the port shutdown and backlog in offloading the ships.

Contact your insurance company (or agent) and ask them to delay the effective date of your insurance policy. You won't get a refund, but at least you won't lose the value of the time that you don't have the car. It's really easy and they should have no problem doing it.

The Hawaii SC staff have been good, I know they hate giving bad news just as much as I hate receiving it. Nothing neither of us can do about it, it is what it is. The original delay was hurricane related, but the other delays were not passing inspection and having to order a part. (kinda makes me wonder about build quality and if its related to rushing production)
But like I said my IDA in Vegas is trying to help me get another M3 faster.

My concern is my insurance bc I no longer have a VIN number which means the one State Farm has on file is no longer applicable to me.
But with this 3 day weekend I can't do anything so I just gotta wait to hear from my IDA in Vegas to see where we stand.
Also I'll continue to pay GEICO for my ICE and State Farm was already paid for a vehicle I don't actually have, and is no longer assigned to me lol o_O

I just wanted to see how anyone who had a delay in their delivery handled their insurance during the wait period.

Mahalo :cool:

Just explain all the facts top the insurance agent along with whatever documentation you got. They'll take care of it. You shouldn't lose any value and the change in the VIN should be no problem either. They just process an endorsement to the policy - easy peasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
So my IDA in Vegas is having another M3 sent to Hawaii, will be here end of the month. She gave me the option to take the new car or stay with my original VIN and wait for it to be fixed. Hastily I chose the new car. But as I thought about it later there is a chance that I could run into the same issue with the new car and might have to wait yet another month. :oops:
But I rolled the dice. If I have another setback I shall be very put out. :mad:

My insurance was put on hold until I confirm my delivery. *sigh*
I swear if all goes well on this delivery I will drive my car around the island as many times until I need to charge :cool:

Reactions: neroden
So my IDA in Vegas is having another M3 sent to Hawaii, will be here end of the month. She gave me the option to take the new car or stay with my original VIN and wait for it to be fixed. Hastily I chose the new car. But as I thought about it later there is a chance that I could run into the same issue with the new car and might have to wait yet another month. :oops:
But I rolled the dice. If I have another setback I shall be very put out. :mad:

My insurance was put on hold until I confirm my delivery. *sigh*
I swear if all goes well on this delivery I will drive my car around the island as many times until I need to charge :cool:

Sorry for all your frustrations Did they say what needed to be fixed?

Sorry for all your frustrations Did they say what needed to be fixed?
No worries, thanks tho. They weren't specific on what part they needed to order, and I was already irraz so I didn't want to stay too long on the phone.
I just emailed my IDA again asking if I could change back to my original VIN bc after thinking about it I feel like that was the only thing wrong and they'll fix it, whereas the new VIN could have the same problem. delaying my delivery yet another month.
My IDA has been GREAT, said I could definitely choose either one and that she'll follow up on specific repairs and time frame.

It'll be cool once I get my M3 tho. Just a little longer wait but it'll be here before I know it :)

Reactions: neroden and nanimac
Decided to start a new thread as to not muddy up the Hawaii Model 3 thread.

The original post/situation:
So my delivery is pretty messed up.
Was originally Monday the 27th, but due to Hurricane Lane I asked to push it to Tuesday the 28th. Sure no problem.
They called me Monday afternoon and told me my car wasn't ready and rescheduled me for Friday.
I got a call last night at 6:50p saying my car was just received 10min ago and would not be ready for delivery at 9:30am, but later in the day.
Delivery manager called me a little while ago (I'm really hating receiving calls from Tesla now) and said my car didn't pass inspection and they need to order a part, so I need to wait probably another frickin month.

The one thing I can tell you is -- thank your lucky stars they communicated. People have had their deliveries cancelled with less than a day's notice; people have not been told when their cars failed inspection; etc. Sounds like you even know what part is missing, which gives you some understanding of what's going on. (What failed? What part are they waiting for?)

Reactions: nanimac
The Hawaii SC staff have been good, I know they hate giving bad news just as much as I hate receiving it. Nothing neither of us can do about it, it is what it is. The original delay was hurricane related, but the other delays were not passing inspection and having to order a part. (kinda makes me wonder about build quality and if its related to rushing production)
But like I said my IDA in Vegas is trying to help me get another M3 faster.

My concern is my insurance bc I no longer have a VIN number which means the one State Farm has on file is no longer applicable to me.
But with this 3 day weekend I can't do anything so I just gotta wait to hear from my IDA in Vegas to see where we stand.
Also I'll continue to pay GEICO for my ICE and State Farm was already paid for a vehicle I don't actually have, and is no longer assigned to me lol o_O

I just wanted to see how anyone who had a delay in their delivery handled their insurance during the wait period.

Mahalo :cool:
Why are they charging you the insurance of you haven't even taken delivery? Geico didn't do that for me, it was activated once I took delivery.