Decided to start a new thread as to not muddy up the Hawaii Model 3 thread. The original post/situation: So my delivery is pretty messed up. Was originally Monday the 27th, but due to Hurricane Lane I asked to push it to Tuesday the 28th. Sure no problem. They called me Monday afternoon and told me my car wasn't ready and rescheduled me for Friday. I got a call last night at 6:50p saying my car was just received 10min ago and would not be ready for delivery at 9:30am, but later in the day. Delivery manager called me a little while ago (I'm really hating receiving calls from Tesla now) and said my car didn't pass inspection and they need to order a part, so I need to wait probably another frickin month. I want to cancel this but there is nothing out there like a Tesla. Can we swear on here? cause this effing sucks. My IDA in Vegas is trying to help me get a replacement Model 3 so that I can take delivery ahead of repairing my original one, which is super cool that she is trying to do that. Currently my new delivery date now says "Late September" but I'm hoping my IDA will pull off a miracle. My problem(s): I no longer have a VIN number, but I have insurance which I've already paid for. My anxiety is directly related to my current ICE which I am trading in, longer possession increases chance of decreased valuation. If this has happened to anyone, (delayed delivery) what did you do about your insurance?