Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery notification after status inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Configured M3 on July 27, DM AWD, EAP, standard wheels, MC Red. Removed the EAP a few days later so would qualify for Maryland's tax rebate which is limited to EVs costing $60,000 or less. Figured I could add that separately at delivery or later.

Called Tesla this afternoon (9/24) to see if I could get a status update and a better estimate of when delivery might be expected. No VIN and no new information. Was a bit shocked when I got a text message the same evening telling me a car that matched my configuration was available and that I could take delivery as early as today (9/26).

Maybe it's just a coincidence that a car became available after my call and that they're just pushing to get as many deliveries as possible before the end of the quarter, but maybe not. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Excited, but on the down side, just hoping it's not a reject from someone else. Does anyone know what happens to cars that have been rejected? Are they recycled back and offered to other buyers or returned to the factory? Gotten a little wary after seeing some of the reports of poor paint jobs and other problems. Hoping for the best.

Thanks

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I wouldn't worry much about the reason the car is available. Just pick up if you like it and enjoy the car. Unable to finance is likely to be the biggest reason for inventory cars for MS and MX. Tesla manufactured and most likely continues to manufacture M3 without a specific buyer. . The sales estimates suggest this was a brilliant plan. That is an additional reason for an available M3.
I must add that the 2 months lag may also suggest that your specific car was actually manufactured. As you may have read elsewhere, the website updates are erratic at best. Additionally, there are enough stories here and on the official Tesla forum to the effect that from time to time a customer gets lost in the paperwork. A call to Tesla like yours resets the clock. Hence they got right back to you.