Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Process - created and staffed by clowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say it surely wasn't a smooth experience when waiting for mine. I had a VIN and delivery date all set for my car then some cars literally right next to my VIN arrived at the service center by me, yet mine apparently wasn't there.. after a couple weeks of trying to figure out what was going on Tesla said they brought it back to Fremont because it didn't have charge anymore... Couldn't they just charge it when it got to the SC?? Anyways after a couple weeks they offered me the same version just a different color and I took delivery of that one as my daughter loved the gray (it had blue sparkles lol). I have been super happy with it though, a few software updates later and I think they have worked out a few early issues but that's to be expected with such a new car imo. My Honda CR-V had it's fair share and i bought that one the year it came out (2017 model year). So I'll say, just don't expect anything, keep your hopes low until you actually hear the day before that you should come in and pick it up as even if you have a delivery date things change, Covid 19 surely doesn't make it any easier.

Sorry for your experience, hope you get your car soon.

My model Y was my 4th new car purchase I’ve made and it was the best, most simple process I’ve had. The staff at the Carlsbad delivery center were really helpful and kept me updated along the way and even with a last minute request 2 days before delivery to add a trade in, had my numbers and paperwork updated in 4 hours. Hopefully Tesla can get things so that the experience I had is had by all future buyers.

Our Model 3 was probably, combined, our 10th or so auto purchase. It was not a great experience. Ordered mid October last year and really heard nothing but (it will probably be around ___ time, only for that to repeatedly change). Weeks passed of others who ordered way later getting their vehicles before us and then, on Christmas Eve getting told it would be in the New Year. On Christmas day they called and told us we had to pick it up the next day or they'd give it to someone else. Arrangements were made to take time off work so we could go grab it. Meanwhile, we were quoted 5-7 weeks when we ordered in October. The worst part of it all is the complete lack of communication. I'll be buying another Tesla next year and I'm dreading the whole process again. My current lease is up at the end of May and it seems like it's impossible in California to get a car delivered by Tesla at any time other than the end of the quarter. So, I either have to expect to get the car end of March and then have an extra car for two months or expect to get it end of second quarter and find alternative transport for 30 days -- assuming the process is similar to last time.

Reactions: wpnelson
3 Teslas deep now and each purchase and delivery process was simple and pleasant. Minimal paperwork and documents to sign, loan process was a piece of cake, and delivery was done in a timely and professional manner. I guess I am lucky with the West Palm Beach, FL Tesla store? There was a hiccup on the delivery date on the first car but that was due to them trying out train transport to the East coast. They didn't know exactly how the process from train to truck would go so we had to wait a few extra days. Certainly nothing worthy of complaining to anyone about. Sorry to hear about your experience but please keep buying Teslas.

Reactions: rxlawdude
No matter how bad the Tesla delivery is, at least you didn’t deal with a car salesman that took your trade-in for valuation and “lost” the keys for 3 hours, then left you sitting at his desk while he “checked with his manager” on the price, all while coercing you into overpriced undercoating.

yup, I experienced this incompetency first hand. I set up an appointment for a test driving a model 3 a few months back. When I showed up, the clerks said they couldn't find my info in the system. Then they tried to set me up with one of the immediately available slots and get me behind the wheels. A few days later, Tesla called and asked me why I didn't show up for the test drive. And.... the same thing repeated when I tried to test drive the Model Y.

• Love
Reactions: wpnelson
Well, they showed up. After delivery window, and after the appt got wiped from the site. Inspected car very closely, no major issues detected. Only thing I spotted was some hanging upholstery on the back seat per picture. Should be an easy fix.

Attachments

• 0CD4FB18-26F6-4CF5-8D5B-2AC1A346266F.jpeg
    0CD4FB18-26F6-4CF5-8D5B-2AC1A346266F.jpeg
    755.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: nikeykid
Like most things -- anything that starts falling out the regular stream of standard operations becomes problematic until a highly skilled employee usually in Tier 3-4 gets on the case. Tiers 1-2 don't know squat outside the normal streams like any system.

You want cost effective streamlined process, right? This is it. Good and the bad.

That said, our Model 3 delivery was awesome. Let's see Model Y on Wednesday. :)

Our Model Y delivery today went well. It was easy and fast. So unlike the BMW experience where, after I signed a large number of documents I was ushered into a room to meet with a guy who resembled Jaba the Hutt and tried to convince me to sign up for a bunch of useless crap like a "seat protection plan" and when I didn't tried to strongarm me.