Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery scheduled tomorrow, but just found out the car was returned and serviced before, What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am so excited to own my first ever Tesla Model Y. The delivery appointment was scheduled for tommorrow, but today the delivery representative just called me saying there are 149 miles on the vehicle already. The reason was that the car was delivered to a customer a month ago, the customer droved about 100 miles and there was a computer error issue happened so the customer returned this car. Since then everything was fixed and the delivery representative asking me if I want to take the delivery. They told me the car is still legally brand as it's not legally titled or registered.
Should I take the delivery? Should I be concerned as it is car with a repair history? Is there any discount I can ask for if I decide to take the delivery?
Please help!

Hello,
I am so excited to own my first ever Tesla Model Y. The delivery appointment was scheduled for tommorrow, but today the delivery representative just called me saying there are 149 miles on the vehicle already. The reason was that the car was delivered to a customer a month ago, the customer droved about 100 miles and there was a computer error issue happened so the customer returned this car. Since then everything was fixed and the delivery representative asking me if I want to take the delivery. They told me the car is still legally brand as it's not legally titled or registered.
Should I take the delivery? Should I be concerned as it is car with a repair history? Is there any discount I can ask for if I decide to take the delivery?
Please help!
If they say it’s Still considered new, they probably will not discount it at all. Personally I would pass and wait for another one, I assume that’s what the other person did after we returned this one. Ultimately though the choice is yours

Should I be concerned as it is car with a repair history? Is there any discount I can ask for if I decide to take the delivery?
Please help!
That's not a repair history as its presales. Cars get damaged more often than you think just being transported and they get repaired and sold. If everything else is fine on the car and it is sporting the Ryzen MCU, that would be a bonus to keep it.

Sounds fishy to me. When you pick up a car you sign the paperwork to process the title, you own the car at that point unless the dealer agreed to hold the title for some reason - a month is a long time to hold title paperwork. This is not typically done as this means the dealer legally owns the car you are driving.

That said, 149 miles on a “new” car is no big deal. If you proceed ask to be provided with a detailed repair list.

Sounds fishy to me. When you pick up a car you sign the paperwork to process the title, you own the car at that point unless the dealer agreed to hold the title for some reason - a month is a long time to hold title paperwork. This is not typically done as this means the dealer legally owns the car you are driving.

That said, 149 miles on a “new” car is no big deal. If you proceed ask to be provided with a detailed repair list.
They said the customer returend the car the 2nd day after finding a computer error malfunction, so that's why it's not been titled or registered?

Reactions: ATPMSD
If they say it’s Still considered new, they probably will not discount it at all. Personally I would pass and wait for another one, I assume that’s what the other person did after we returned this one. Ultimately though the choice is yours
I ordered this car last September and it took me over 6 months to finally get delivery. If I turn it down I worry I might get put back tothe queue again. For my case, does Tesla prioritizes new delivery to me?

How title or registration is handled for the typical 3 day return window then?

Typically they hold the title paperword and you sign what amounts to a rental agreement. I misunderstood the OPs post and thought they had the car for a month as opposed to 2-days. My bad.
Thanks. the previous customer returned the car after 1/2 days, and tesla spent couple of weeks replacing the computer. So I guess the car never had the chance to ge registerd before turend so it's still legally brand new car. Any more thoughts?

That's not true, I picked up mine on March 19th and haven't even received my title paperwork yet. SC is a self filing DMV state for Tesla.

That's not true, I picked up mine on March 19th and haven't even received my title paperwork yet. SC is a self filing DMV state for Tesla.
Not receiving the paperword in a timely fashion is typical for Tesla, but believe me, you own the car. The Title transfer is either handled behind the scenes and you go to DMV to get the plates or Tesla has / is transferring the title and you will simply complete the process.

Not receiving the paperword in a timely fashion is typical for Tesla, but believe me, you own the car. The Title transfer is either handled behind the scenes and you go to DMV to get the plates or Tesla has / is transferring the title and you will simply complete the process.
Tesla will be sending a filled-in title application for me to take to the DMV and request myself. Tesla is legally not allowed to send any documentation or start any process with the DMV in South Carolina

Tesla will be sending a filled-in title application for me to take to the DMV and request myself. Tesla is legally not allowed to send any documentation or start any process with the DMV in South Carolina
Sounds like the same process as when you sell a car. You sign the title over to the new owner at which time it is legally their car. They must then file it with DMV.

Reactions: brancky3