Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took Delivery of my M3P on 12/23. I haven’t had a chance to detail it myself, so I have not inspected it at that level. However, I did look over the car very closely at delivery and I’m happy to say that there were no problems at all that I wasn’t willing to accept. The only thing I’ve found so far is that the spoiler was not perfectly installed (other models with spoiler at delivery center were much cleaner in their installation). I may see if this can be fixed, but it’s not something that anyone would ever notice. It will grab onto drying towel and detailing towels at each edge, but I can probably get used to that.

I’m losing my mind then. My front door to my eye looks lighter (the last picture I posted)

Your car looks fantastic. The only issue I saw in your photos is the one interior trim piece with a bulge. I just sold my red Model 3 and your paint looks just as mine did: great. Sometimes we can overthink things and see problems that aren't there. Don't stress about it. No car is 100% perfect but your car looks really close. Go drive it somewhere and enjoy.

I’m losing my mind then. My front door to my eye looks lighter (the last picture I posted)
U r not losing your mind. I see the difference but there can be many reasons for that. Check out the grayscale image below

Attachments

• E0759B46-1523-4CFB-BE7A-FDD91C43E1D7.jpeg
    E0759B46-1523-4CFB-BE7A-FDD91C43E1D7.jpeg
    923.4 KB · Views: 274
There might be a more appropriate thread but I figured I’d post an update. When my car was delivered there was what looked like a dent on my front bumper, kinda high up so maybe it rolled into something on the truck.

Anyway, I’ll post a photo - took to tesla service at 9am and they quoted me 2 days (this seemed crazy to me) but whatever — am on my way to pickup my car 5 hours later.

Experience was flawless. And fast.

Much love to the service center in north Dallas

Attachments

• 356E554C-DA19-4E41-9849-2D112DCD40E0.jpeg
    356E554C-DA19-4E41-9849-2D112DCD40E0.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 214
I attempted to take delivery from Irvine CA yesterday of a Red Long Range M3, however I rejected it for paint chips, now in line for another VIN/delivery. However, panel gaps looked acceptable but I am not paying $2000 extra for Red color and have it delivered with paint chips on the A pillar or anywhere else on the car. My first 2020 M3 Red LR had chips on the hood and I accepted it, but not again. A manager said that he can have the A pillar re-painted after I accept delivery. I find it ridiculous that Tesla service paints cars after they leave the factory.

I attempted to take delivery from Irvine CA yesterday of a Red Long Range M3, however I rejected it for paint chips, now in line for another VIN/delivery. However, panel gaps looked acceptable but I am not paying $2000 extra for Red color and have it delivered with paint chips on the A pillar or anywhere else on the car. My first 2020 M3 Red LR had chips on the hood and I accepted it, but not again. A manager said that he can have the A pillar re-painted after I accept delivery. I find it ridiculous that Tesla service paints cars after they leave the factory.
Good for you. I wish more people would push back like this. I will do the same thing if it happens to me when mine arrives, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Their business model like their cars are like nothing else’s.

The service centers are used as QA post sale. It’s weird. But my experience with the service center has been top notch.

Not advocating for poor QA just that I accepted delivery and all repairs were seamless. Should I have needed them after buying a new car? No.

But we’re in weird times with a weird (different) company.

It is what it is. I personally think nearly everyone should accept delivery unless it’s a big issue and have it fixed.

But…. You made someone else very happy with getting your car instead!

Take the picture from 3 different angles and post it here.
Here’s what I have on my phone I can post more when I get it back from detailer.

Attachments

• 6B75775B-986E-4E13-A57A-669519064246.jpeg
    6B75775B-986E-4E13-A57A-669519064246.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 199
  • F8CACF31-E7BA-4F01-BDA1-D80AC7404D18.jpeg
    F8CACF31-E7BA-4F01-BDA1-D80AC7404D18.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 162
  • E749E501-3C17-4940-86EF-74D4C9286969.jpeg
    E749E501-3C17-4940-86EF-74D4C9286969.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DD485F38-6B77-4047-93D8-8FC1F44E387D.jpeg
    DD485F38-6B77-4047-93D8-8FC1F44E387D.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 4FC1A538-745D-4F19-8A9A-2B060B2918FD.jpeg
    4FC1A538-745D-4F19-8A9A-2B060B2918FD.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 108A0E99-24CA-4F91-A676-F6D1844A358D.jpeg
    108A0E99-24CA-4F91-A676-F6D1844A358D.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 146
  • C245BF2C-0A31-454E-B37A-471C7719E6CB.jpeg
    C245BF2C-0A31-454E-B37A-471C7719E6CB.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 130
  • FA795144-93C0-409A-A805-0C96C4546362.jpeg
    FA795144-93C0-409A-A805-0C96C4546362.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 165
It’s much more apparent in cloudy conditions and like I said when I use tape on the door lines the illusion goes away
We all have different visual perception, particularly with colors at times. There was that meme of a dress where a lot of people saw black and blue versus white and gold of the same image. Even if you cover one eye, you may notice slightly different hues. Then factor in things like sun position, time of day, shadows, cloud positions, etc. In the end you have an awesome car. Hopefully you have gotten it to your liking. On my non-Tesla cars, I see the same stuff at times and even worse panel gaps on my Subaru that I would not have paid attention to before seeing this forum.

Houston service center put 2 scratches on my brand new Model 3. They admit this and this is how they respond. My steering wheel was tilted to right so that’s why I took it to service center. This problem has not been addressed and now I got my car back with scratches on the door. They seem to not care. What should I do?
360D5DBD-49B3-4AC9-8AAA-E21AA72DC0B3.png

Houston service center put 2 scratches on my brand new Model 3. They admit this and this is how they respond. My steering wheel was tilted to right so that’s why I took it to service center. This problem has not been addressed and now I got my car back with scratches on the door. They seem to not care. What should I do? View attachment 750650

Well,

Since they will no longer respond to you in that text thread, you should do what they suggested and make another serivce appointment and ask for it to be addressed.

Well,

Since they will no longer respond to you in that text thread, you should do what they suggested and make another serivce appointment and ask for it to be addressed.
Yes but the way how they respond is not satisfactory. They will do touch up as a goodwill? They are the one who is scratching my car and why this is now goodwill? They also haven’t addressed my steering wheel issue. Do you think that I should write a letter to their headquarters? It’s a brand new car and I really did not enjoy taking it to a service center in its fist week also having more issues service center related now. Very disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but the way how they respond is not satisfactory. They will do touch up as a goodwill? They are the one who is scratching my car and why this is now goodwill? They also haven’t addressed my steering wheel issue. Do you think that I should write a letter to their headquarters? It’s a brand new car and I really did not enjoy taking it to a service center in its fist week also having more issues service center related now. Very disappointed.

You can write a letter if you want to, but it wont do anything. Its not like I think that response is great (I dont). If it were me, however, I would ignore that response (as its likely a regular service writer), make the appointment for first available, then drive down there to talk to the service manager and show them that text.

I would also be VERY careful to NOT be all "guns blazing" when discussing it, because that will just get whatever manager you are talking to, to clam up. I would be "politely insistent" to a manager at the service center, like "Thanks for taking the time to meet with me, I got these scratches, they were not there, I understand they may appear minor but this is a new car for me, can you help me get this resolved?"

If you go in there with "I got this text message, this is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!~" you will get no where but whatever minimum they might have to do, and not even that.

I also wouldnt bother with any letter writing etc, as there isnt anyone who is going to care about any of that.

Im not saying "This is right" I am telling you what "IS" and making suggestions (note that I am not a tesla employee, and this is a tesla enthusiast site, not affiliated with tesla inc).

Reactions: TBrownTX
You can write a letter if you want to, but it wont do anything. Its not like I think that response is great (I dont). If it were me, however, I would ignore that response (as its likely a regular service writer), make the appointment for first available, then drive down there to talk to the service manager and show them that text.

I would also be VERY careful to NOT be all "guns blazing" when discussing it, because that will just get whatever manager you are talking to, to clam up. I would be "politely insistent" to a manager at the service center, like "Thanks for taking the time to meet with me, I got these scratches, they were not there, I understand they may appear minor but this is a new car for me, can you help me get this resolved?"

If you go in there with "I got this text message, this is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!~" you will get no where but whatever minimum they might have to do, and not even that.

I also wouldnt bother with any letter writing etc, as there isnt anyone who is going to care about any of that.

Im not saying "This is right" I am telling you what "IS" and making suggestions (note that I am not a tesla employee, and this is a tesla enthusiast site, not affiliated with tesla inc).
Thank you. Very helpful.

Hey all

I took delivery of my new M3P a few days ago and the driver side glass is distorted. It’s the same thing you see on lots of teslas and my model X has it too. The dealer pretty much said pound sand or take it so I took it. (Hate that stance). The dealer did proceed to burn down the next day so I won’t be dealing with them anymore.

For anyone who got tesla to fix this issue, where did you go? Did you email corp? I kind of assume this falls into the “teslas are great to drive and horrible to work with” category but let me know if you found a way

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson