Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine replaced my SR+ for a different distortion. At the top of the windshield where it meets the roof, the glass had this weird dip in the glass that made the roof more exposed to wind. After that they said there is nothing they could do but told them I was about to get it tinted and they came back last min to let me know they were going to go ahead and swap it.

It seemed to be up to the tech discretion.

This is my first time posting…I like the community/site as i found it very helpful for 1st time buyer.

I ordered my Red M3LR on 12/9…quite a few changes in delivery date but finally locked-in on 12/31.

I was really excited to take delivery but had done a lot of research about delivery checklists. Upon delivery inspection, we found the following issues
  • 5 noticeable scratches in the paint 3“ to 4” in length…these were not deep and probably could be buffed out easily
  • a 3” horizontal scratch in the windshield
  • a piece of insulation in the interior vent loose and flapping when fan was turned on
The first issue with the scratches were not a deal breaker, but I did pay a premium for the red paint and was rather disapppointed in finding 5 scratches. The other two, especially the windshield was the deal breaker. Their only solution was to replace the windshield and pull apart the dash. At that point I said “No, I will not accept delivery of this car”. There was a bit of sales pressure from them “well, inventory is low, and we don’t know when we can get you one” And I simply said that I will wait. It was SOoooo hard to say no - I was like a kid with a toy but, after taking a breath, it was absolutely the right thing to do.

They were not complete jerks because they understood the issue with replacing a windshield and tearing apart the dash meant it will never be factory quality again. In the end, they put me in a mysterious priority list. My delivery window is now Jan 23 - Feb 23.

I am rather surprised at the lack of quality control…We shall see what happens next.

Also, one other thing to comment on…did anyone find the way in which Tesla communicates with you to be frustrating? Talking to a live person between order and delivery was next to impossible. Emails and texts would go unanswered and it felt like they were never proactive enough with communications. Are my expectations too high? I mean, this is a $50,000+ transaction here, shouldn’t they be a bit more on top of their customer satisfaction? (But then again, i just saw a bunch of news reports that Tesla crushed-it in terms of new car deliveries in 2021…maybe they are just swamped).

Reactions: gvme
This is my first time posting…I like the community/site as i found it very helpful for 1st time buyer.

I ordered my Red M3LR on 12/9…quite a few changes in delivery date but finally locked-in on 12/31.

I was really excited to take delivery but had done a lot of research about delivery checklists. Upon delivery inspection, we found the following issues
  • 5 noticeable scratches in the paint 3“ to 4” in length…these were not deep and probably could be buffed out easily
  • a 3” horizontal scratch in the windshield
  • a piece of insulation in the interior vent loose and flapping when fan was turned on
The first issue with the scratches were not a deal breaker, but I did pay a premium for the red paint and was rather disapppointed in finding 5 scratches. The other two, especially the windshield was the deal breaker. Their only solution was to replace the windshield and pull apart the dash. At that point I said “No, I will not accept delivery of this car”. There was a bit of sales pressure from them “well, inventory is low, and we don’t know when we can get you one” And I simply said that I will wait. It was SOoooo hard to say no - I was like a kid with a toy but, after taking a breath, it was absolutely the right thing to do.

They were not complete jerks because they understood the issue with replacing a windshield and tearing apart the dash meant it will never be factory quality again. In the end, they put me in a mysterious priority list. My delivery window is now Jan 23 - Feb 23.

I am rather surprised at the lack of quality control…We shall see what happens next.

Also, one other thing to comment on…did anyone find the way in which Tesla communicates with you to be frustrating? Talking to a live person between order and delivery was next to impossible. Emails and texts would go unanswered and it felt like they were never proactive enough with communications. Are my expectations too high? I mean, this is a $50,000+ transaction here, shouldn’t they be a bit more on top of their customer satisfaction? (But then again, i just saw a bunch of news reports that Tesla crushed-it in terms of new car deliveries in 2021…maybe they are just swamped).
Good decision. Agree with the point that when you are spending $50k+ on a vehicle you expect some QC. Their communications has not been top notch either. They are definitely swamped with demand, with no end in sight in near to medium term and that’s how they re getting away with it, I would guess. But then they do have a good product with no competition in terms of tech. And still better than most dealership experiences.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Hello everyone,

I’m new here and just took delivery of my ‘22 M3 LR just over a week ago. I absolutely love the car 🚗 and being a techie geek makes it all the better. My question is regarding build quality. Of course I’ve read thread after thread of quality issues but I’m looking for some specific advice. On my delivery day it was cold and rainy so I didn’t do the full walk around. I did however do this just the other day when it was finally sunny and easy to notice defects. I noticed some panels not lining up as well as gaps. See attached pictures. I’m just wondering if Tesla can even fix these issues or if I’m stuck with these now. It’s a lease so I’m not SUPER concerned, but just knowing they are there is irksome. Let me know what you think, and thank you all in advance!
728A37B2-9FBE-4D15-A162-C59FC3CF9B81.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FD4465B-51CC-4C7E-81EE-0E1CB08B4F85.jpeg
    7FD4465B-51CC-4C7E-81EE-0E1CB08B4F85.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 215
  • 4843BEA3-B130-438F-BCD1-BFA0D15DEF52.jpeg
    4843BEA3-B130-438F-BCD1-BFA0D15DEF52.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 88A7954D-BF68-4A7E-A653-58557A7AAC1F.jpeg
    88A7954D-BF68-4A7E-A653-58557A7AAC1F.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DCBFD9DB-1FC3-44C6-B8EA-A27BEA1FC4F1.jpeg
    DCBFD9DB-1FC3-44C6-B8EA-A27BEA1FC4F1.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 203
Let
Hello everyone,

I’m new here and just took delivery of my ‘22 M3 LR just over a week ago. I absolutely love the car 🚗 and being a techie geek makes it all the better. My question is regarding build quality. Of course I’ve read thread after thread of quality issues but I’m looking for some specific advice. On my delivery day it was cold and rainy so I didn’t do the full walk around. I did however do this just the other day when it was finally sunny and easy to notice defects. I noticed some panels not lining up as well as gaps. See attached pictures. I’m just wondering if Tesla can even fix these issues or if I’m stuck with these now. It’s a lease so I’m not SUPER concerned, but just knowing they are there is irksome. Let me know what you think, and thank you all in advance! View attachment 752023

Let me put in 2 cents, not out of expertise but because these issues look really similar to issues I found when I picked up my car 4 months ago. Except yours seem a little bit worse. I submitted my photos on the app right away and set up a service appointment. Most of what I submitted, the service center tried to address, and I thought they did a decent job of it. Part of that required removing a fender panel, I believe, and whatever tools were used caused a small paint chip on the fender just above the right front tire.

For me the main factors to consider were 1) if they didn’t want to fix it, there wasn’t much I could do about it and 2) whatever fixing I could get was free so why not get it? and 3) however, the paint chip was an indication that there is no free lunch, and when you leave your car in the shop there might be other issues that pop up because you left it in the shop.

I was glad to give the car up for a day and get a couple of those badly aligned panels adjusted better, but for the paint chip I just bought the little Tesla touch-up paint kit and never tried to take the car back for another shop session. So my suggestion would be to submit your pictures via the phone app and make your appointment, and get them to fix anything you can, before the opportunity expires. Then cross your fingers and hope they give your car back better than when you gave it to them.

Let

Let me put in 2 cents, not out of expertise but because these issues look really similar to issues I found when I picked up my car 4 months ago. Except yours seem a little bit worse. I submitted my photos on the app right away and set up a service appointment. Most of what I submitted, the service center tried to address, and I thought they did a decent job of it. Part of that required removing a fender panel, I believe, and whatever tools were used caused a small paint chip on the fender just above the right front tire.

For me the main factors to consider were 1) if they didn’t want to fix it, there wasn’t much I could do about it and 2) whatever fixing I could get was free so why not get it? and 3) however, the paint chip was an indication that there is no free lunch, and when you leave your car in the shop there might be other issues that pop up because you left it in the shop.

I was glad to give the car up for a day and get a couple of those badly aligned panels adjusted better, but for the paint chip I just bought the little Tesla touch-up paint kit and never tried to take the car back for another shop session. So my suggestion would be to submit your pictures via the phone app and make your appointment, and get them to fix anything you can, before the opportunity expires. Then cross your fingers and hope they give your car back better than when you gave it to them.
Wow that’s not a good experience but thank you very much for your feedback!

What do do you guys think? There is no interference or binding if any kind. There is no paint damage. I noticed this on my 2 week old LR and not sure how to proceed. Paintless dent say its not fixable with that method and would need a bodyshop. Can you guys chime in?
20220103_154313.jpg
20220103_154411.jpg
20220103_154331.jpg
20220103_164700.jpg
w

I laughed out loud at your comment Carl.

Not sure why my best local news source is canadian but here we are. I'm getting used to looking through drunk goggles out the rear view glass I suppose but it's just so annoying that they can't get this right on a 60k car when kia gets it right on 20k cars you know?

I took delivery of my '22 Model 3 Performance in Dec and had a large gap on the rear windshield. Tesla replaced the rear glass after waiting over 4 weeks for a service appointment. I had to fight them to give us a loaner car instead of Uber credits since my wife is an ICU nurse working 12 hour shifts and has a ~45 minute commute. She can't rely on Uber drivers to get to and from work at the hours that she works and the distance she's going. We love the car, but our overall experience with delivery and the service department hasn't been great.

image_50381057.JPG

image_50375169.JPG

image_50399489.JPG

The front passenger headlight alignment was pretty bad as well.

image_67128321.JPG

image_50376193.JPG

I took delivery of my '22 Model 3 Performance in Dec and had a large gap on the rear windshield. Tesla replaced the rear glass after waiting over 4 weeks for a service appointment. I had to fight them to give us a loaner car instead of Uber credits since my wife is an ICU nurse working 12 hour shifts and has a ~45 minute commute. She can't rely on Uber drivers to get to and from work at the hours that she works and the distance she's going. We love the car, but our overall experience with delivery and the service department hasn't been great.

View attachment 752388

View attachment 752389

View attachment 752391

The front passenger headlight alignment was pretty bad as well.

View attachment 752393

View attachment 752394
That’s bad. They can definitely make use of more investment into QC, service, especially loaner vehicles, given they are delivering in millions now (or soon to be).

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Hello everyone,

I’m new here and just took delivery of my ‘22 M3 LR just over a week ago. I absolutely love the car 🚗 and being a techie geek makes it all the better. My question is regarding build quality. Of course I’ve read thread after thread of quality issues but I’m looking for some specific advice. On my delivery day it was cold and rainy so I didn’t do the full walk around. I did however do this just the other day when it was finally sunny and easy to notice defects. I noticed some panels not lining up as well as gaps. See attached pictures. I’m just wondering if Tesla can even fix these issues or if I’m stuck with these now. It’s a lease so I’m not SUPER concerned, but just knowing they are there is irksome. Let me know what you think, and thank you all in advance! View attachment 752023
I had similar gaps when I took my 2021 M3P. The tech agreed that the gaps were out of spec and said they would fix it next time I brought it in. When I did they fixed the gaps but a month later, I found that the gaps were too tight which caused my left trunk arm to lock against the body of the car bending it and scratching the paint off of it and on top of it the trunk would no longer open without the arm being bent further. I took it back to the service center for repair but did not have my car for 2 weeks since it needed to go to a body shop. If I had to go back, I would just live with it. The car is great. You won't care about the gap in a few weeks as you enjoy your car. I've totally forgotten about my experience since I love the car.

Attachments

• 20201230_130526.jpg
    20201230_130526.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210521_114443.jpg
    20210521_114443.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 20210521_114436.jpg
    20210521_114436.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210521_114430.jpg
    20210521_114430.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 197
I had similar gaps when I took my 2021 M3P. The tech agreed that the gaps were out of spec and said they would fix it next time I brought it in. When I did they fixed the gaps but a month later, I found that the gaps were too tight which caused my left trunk arm to lock against the body of the car bending it and scratching the paint off of it and on top of it the trunk would no longer open without the arm being bent further. I took it back to the service center for repair but did not have my car for 2 weeks since it needed to go to a body shop. If I had to go back, I would just live with it. The car is great. You won't care about the gap in a few weeks as you enjoy your car. I've totally forgotten about my experience since I love the car.
Good lord, those 3rd and 4th photos are horrendous.

Reactions: Rodney!
Good decision. Agree with the point that when you are spending $50k+ on a vehicle you expect some QC. Their communications has not been top notch either. They are definitely swamped with demand, with no end in sight in near to medium term and that’s how they re getting away with it, I would guess. But then they do have a good product with no competition in terms of tech. And still better than most dealership experiences.

So communication for me only happened when I had a delivery day, even then it was frustrating - I was told, no I could not go pick it up, it had to be home delivery, then just for kicks I called again and they said "Sure you can go pick it up" then I confirmed that's what I wanted, but the app never updated and they ended up delivering it to my home regardless.

They then parked it on the street (locked) so I didn't feel comfortable inspecting it under a tree dropping acorns and on a corner where i've seen cars get side swiped.

So I accepted delivery without even looking it over - and I couldn't look it over inside because it was locked.

Luckly no big issues but communication was horrible.

At the end of the day, I really dont think communication would really change anything other than peace of mind on my part. But when you're paying north of 60K on a new car, you expect to have a certain level of service. But I guess that's simply where tesla's "Different" way of thinking is more on the bad side.

All in all -- I love the car, and these "newbie" companie vibes / flaws will be worked out and it just comes with being a mature company.

Glad that there was no big issues. How did you unlock it?

I hope to go pick it from their centre as well, but will have to see what they do. Maybe they will be more flexible without end of quarter pressure. Will update when it happens.

Picked up a 2021 MY LR a year ago with similar door and body/hatch gaps being described here. After a couple of visits to my SC in Portland some of the issues were improved slightly but are still present. Am wondering if an appt to a reputable body shop to improve remaining gap issues on my dime is called for and in the end, be less frustrating than dealing with Tesla.

Waiting for delivery of 2022 M3 LR as our 2nd EV

Last edited: