Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which service center in NY? Sorry, to hear of your unpleasant experience.

Mt Kisco, Just had to add my Carbon spoiler to the list. The clear or something is bubbling on it. Won't come off.

Attachments

• 20220217_194319.jpg
    20220217_194319.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 213
Sounds like the same issue I had when I picked up my car February 1st (photo attached with the gap). I didn't bother to debate any panel gaps during delivery and just photographed everything and scheduled an appointment within 24 hours. When I brought my car in, they taped up all the panel gap concerns and said they would be addressed by the end of the day. I picked up my car after they closed (key card was in the center console and my app was released to where I could unlock my car again...which was weird but I'm glad I got my car the same day). The rear windshield was taped up and was completely replaced. No more gap!

View attachment 770678
that is EXACTLY what my roof looks like! Glad to hear it was resolved quickly. I'd like to avoid a period of carlessness.

I have a tentative March 1st delivery at Mt Kisko. If I need any service, it is likely that I will be scheduled in Milford, CT as that is about 20 min. closer to where I live. I am going to hope for the best. Good luck to you.
I'm going to smithtown, ny. So far, they've had decent service, with the exception of the guy who tried to claim my panel gap was within specs, that is :rolleyes:
Good luck to you too!

My 2022 M3P was (home) delivered to me last Friday. So far I have found the following issues;

1. The passenger side lower black trim piece underneath the side mirror was not snapped together all the way and it was causing a whistling noise while driving. I was able to snap the pieces together pretty easily, and the driver's side mirror was fine.

2. The lower/back part of the driver side rear door was not flush with the lower rocker panel (the door was recessed from the edge). I repositioned the door striker outwards by a few mm and it seems to have fixed it by 65%-70%. The rest of the door was fairly aligned, so I'm thinking it must be a stamping issue with this door as I parked next to some older Model 3s today and I saw the same issue to varying degrees. It's at the point that I can live with it, as I think further adjustments will throw other parts of the door out of alignment. The passenger side rear door is flush/fine.

3. Some other exterior trim/panel alignment issues (as I was expecting), but nothing too egregious.

Overall the car was about as I expected after seeing friend's M3s or other Teslas parked around our neighborhood.
The car I rejected a couple weeks had the same issue with the rear driver's side door (compared to the passenger-side rear door). The top of the door was flush, but the bottom of the trailing edge down around to the bottom of the door was recessed 4-5mm. It didn't look fixable by adjusting the striker because the top of the trailing edge was fine as is.

Took a delivery today. The car actually looked very good and the only thing they adjusted was the gap on the left between the trunk and the body. It took them literally 2 minutes to make it look perfect. The other thing I'm not sure about why the doors need to be almost slammed to close shut.
I'm wondering the same thing with mine. It is very easy to swing the doors closed when getting out without them actually latching all the way closed.

I picked up my Model 3 on September 23rd and the only thing I noticed in terms of build quality was the rear passenger side tail light had a rather large gap.

PicFrame-Photo.jpg

I immediately made a service appointment via the app which took about a month. On the day of my appointment, I was told they would need my car for ten days. I thought that was ridiculous as it seems as though it needed a slight adjustment. They sent out mobile service that day and the tail light was adjusted in twenty minutes. It wasn't perfect but I was fine with the adjustment.

Fast forward several weeks later and the audio in my vehicle started to go out. People could not hear me on the phone and the rear speakers stopped working. I scheduled an appointment and was accommodated within a week. It turns out there was a leak from the passenger side rear taillight...the amplifier is below the tailight within the lining...the amp was blown. Tesla replaced the amplifier and computer and repaired the leak.

Several weeks later I bought OEM Light Up Style tail lights from RPM Tesla. They performed the install and when they removed the taillights they had asked what happened to my car....there was some epoxy-like substance all over the interior near the tail light. I told them there was a leak and that is how they must have fixed it. They installed the taillights and I was on my way.

About a month later my audio went out again...this time completely. No stereo at all. Voice activation did not work. Turn signal made no noise. Navigation had no audio. Tried booking an appointment in the app and guess what...a month wait for an appt. I went in and asked for them to accommodate this recurring issue. They explained that they had to wait for parts even though they had not diagnosed the issue. A week later they had one of the parts and expected another shortly. They told me to come on in and they would provide a loaner. I dropped off my car and picked up the loaner on February 1st.

On February 10th I received an invoice for $1,524.66. Tesla is denying my warranty because a technician found "signs of tampering at points that will cause water ingress. Specifically the grommet for the trunk harness to trunk connection. During the previous service, the tail light was SEALED as part of the service. As this is a third party tail light we cannot modify or adjust the part"

I called and spoke with the service advisor and asked him several questions.

1. What does he mean by "the tailight was sealed"

He explained they used sealant to fix the leak.

2. Do Teslas come from the factory with sealant on the tailights?

No.

3. If i were to pay the onvoice in protest due to substandard repairs what would happen if the leak were to occur again?

He had no answer.

4. If in the future I decide to have PPF installed on my vehicle how would the vendor deal with removing the tail lights if they are sealed? Or, if I needed bodywork and the body shop needed to remove the taillight how would we go about removing the taillights?

He had no answer.

I asked that someone from management, preferably not from the service center contact me. He then asked me if I would like them to pick up the loaner. I told him not until I speak with someone in management so I can get a clear understanding of what would happen if the leak occurred again.

The next morning I tried using the key card they provided and guess what...they disabled it. They denied they did and said it was probably magnetized. The key card did not move from my desk and was nowhere near a magnet. They remote started the car and I had to go in for them to reprogram the key card. That was over two weeks ago.

A week ago Saturday someone from the mobile app stated my carr was being worked on and he would have an update Monday or Tuesday. I used app to inquire every day last week what the status of my car was....no answer.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 1.15.28 PM.jpeg

I decided to go to the service center last Friday. I asked to speak with a manager. I was told the manager was in a meeting. I said I would wait. After 20 minutes they told me there was not a manager on the premises and they would call me first thing Monday morning. It is now 1PM and I have not heard anything from them.

I want my car back. If I have to pay I will under protest as this is not an OEM tail light issue rather a defect that was repaired in a substandard way. I just want someone to answer my question as to what happens when this happens again.

Reactions: Tsl888
I picked up my Model 3 on September 23rd and the only thing I noticed in terms of build quality was the rear passenger side tail light had a rather large gap.

View attachment 772170

I immediately made a service appointment via the app which took about a month. On the day of my appointment, I was told they would need my car for ten days. I thought that was ridiculous as it seems as though it needed a slight adjustment. They sent out mobile service that day and the tail light was adjusted in twenty minutes. It wasn't perfect but I was fine with the adjustment.

Fast forward several weeks later and the audio in my vehicle started to go out. People could not hear me on the phone and the rear speakers stopped working. I scheduled an appointment and was accommodated within a week. It turns out there was a leak from the passenger side rear taillight...the amplifier is below the tailight within the lining...the amp was blown. Tesla replaced the amplifier and computer and repaired the leak.

Several weeks later I bought OEM Light Up Style tail lights from RPM Tesla. They performed the install and when they removed the taillights they had asked what happened to my car....there was some epoxy-like substance all over the interior near the tail light. I told them there was a leak and that is how they must have fixed it. They installed the taillights and I was on my way.

About a month later my audio went out again...this time completely. No stereo at all. Voice activation did not work. Turn signal made no noise. Navigation had no audio. Tried booking an appointment in the app and guess what...a month wait for an appt. I went in and asked for them to accommodate this recurring issue. They explained that they had to wait for parts even though they had not diagnosed the issue. A week later they had one of the parts and expected another shortly. They told me to come on in and they would provide a loaner. I dropped off my car and picked up the loaner on February 1st.

On February 10th I received an invoice for $1,524.66. Tesla is denying my warranty because a technician found "signs of tampering at points that will cause water ingress. Specifically the grommet for the trunk harness to trunk connection. During the previous service, the tail light was SEALED as part of the service. As this is a third party tail light we cannot modify or adjust the part"

I called and spoke with the service advisor and asked him several questions.

1. What does he mean by "the tailight was sealed"

He explained they used sealant to fix the leak.

2. Do Teslas come from the factory with sealant on the tailights?

No.

3. If i were to pay the onvoice in protest due to substandard repairs what would happen if the leak were to occur again?

He had no answer.

4. If in the future I decide to have PPF installed on my vehicle how would the vendor deal with removing the tail lights if they are sealed? Or, if I needed bodywork and the body shop needed to remove the taillight how would we go about removing the taillights?

He had no answer.

I asked that someone from management, preferably not from the service center contact me. He then asked me if I would like them to pick up the loaner. I told him not until I speak with someone in management so I can get a clear understanding of what would happen if the leak occurred again.

The next morning I tried using the key card they provided and guess what...they disabled it. They denied they did and said it was probably magnetized. The key card did not move from my desk and was nowhere near a magnet. They remote started the car and I had to go in for them to reprogram the key card. That was over two weeks ago.

A week ago Saturday someone from the mobile app stated my carr was being worked on and he would have an update Monday or Tuesday. I used app to inquire every day last week what the status of my car was....no answer.

View attachment 772176

I decided to go to the service center last Friday. I asked to speak with a manager. I was told the manager was in a meeting. I said I would wait. After 20 minutes they told me there was not a manager on the premises and they would call me first thing Monday morning. It is now 1PM and I have not heard anything from them.

I want my car back. If I have to pay I will under protest as this is not an OEM tail light issue rather a defect that was repaired in a substandard way. I just want someone to answer my question as to what happens when this happens again.

Lawyer up and bring em'hell. Service center usually deals with a bunch of pushovers that's buy what the SC tells them. Show them you got a little fight and they will listen. Bring on the news channels. Down here in San Diego we used to have the turko files. They helped people when companies and its employees didn't give a dam.

This is the issue of no dealer network, Your direct with corporate so if they say no your boned. Tesla continues to ignore the lowered suspension part of my service receipt and at this point I'll be filing with my lawyer for at minimum the cost of the Performance package. I literally have voice recordings with my delivery team and service center saying "It should" and "It doesn't" multiple times. They don't even know.

I took delivery today of a M3LR. Was snowing quite a bit so probably missed some things, but I didn't see too many issues in regards to panel gaps.

However my car was missing aero covers. I have to request to get them from service for some reason lol.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Placed post initially in delivery experience thread. Probably better here.

About 2 weeks since my pick up. I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Tesla service has been good to work with. It’s a bit odd because Tesla really doesn’t want you to call them. Everything runs through the app. Its hard to confirm loaners for service. The chat is the method for communication within the service part of the app.

I took my car in twice so far. Both seem to be related to steering alignment issues. First appointment was overnight. Seemed to improve issue after the first repair. But a steering alignment appeared again. At least I didn’t lose any functions. Scheduled another service last week. Had to wait about a week to get it in. Dropped off yesterday at 9 AM. Grabbed a loaner. Process took 5-10 minutes. Car ready by 11 AM. Went back and picked up my car. That only took a minute. Drop the loaner key in the box. Jump in my car and leave.

I am a bit happier with the car. Happy to the point of hating to drive an ICE vehicle. Observations

1. The passenger side mirror should be addressed by tesla engineers, IMO. I think it looks weird that the frame shadows 10-15% of the left side of the mirror. But I am used to it now.
  2. Upper trunk area covering does not match the rest of the trunk. But this is normal. Looks odd.
  3. Spotify, if used within the Tesla OS, loses its place during podcasts. That is very annoying.
  4. No home link type of feature is ridiculous for a 50k car. I do have wifi on my garage door openers. But I have to grab my phone and do it that way. I guess I will have to see if I can program siri to ease that process.
  5. Windshield wipers. The timing is too frequent. Level I is too fast. Auto is way too fast. An update on this would be nice; more options for auto and non auto modes.
  6. Sub 20ish F degrees really impacts range. Range goes back to normal higher than 30-40 degrees.
  7. Snow driving is very very good. I went from an Outback with snow tires to this. I was planning on getting snow tires for the M3. Now I am reconsidering, its that good in the snow.
  8. Annoying phantom breaking in cruise control. I don’t drive a lot of expressway in the winter. I am on two lane roads to work mostly. I think the car thinks there is on coming traffic during curves. Sometimes it happens on straightaways with and without any upcoming or oncoming vehicles. It’s a bit annoying.
  9. Key location. I use my phone, so this isn’t a big deal. I notice it when I take the Tesla loaner. The contact location for the key to start the car is odd to me. Why not a slot or a location to place it instead of loose behind the cup holders
  10. Autoregen braking is great. Barely use the breaks.
  11. I think I need to learn the voice controls because making changes to climate/audio is a distraction to the driver. The attempts at voice commands I try don’t work. I will have to RTFF to find a list of commands.
  12. Noise. Much quitter ride than I anticipated. I thought road noise would be much worse. Very impressed so far.

If anyone wants to know, The final answer I got from Tesla (and is recorded) that to his knowledge M3P's still come lowered but they are "constantly updating their vehicle". They said there is no further options and refused to give specs of what height a M3P should sit and zero compensation. So I'm just going to file for the cost of the performance package, costs me nothing considering I work with lawyers anyway.

Welp, I'm joining all of you folks now! I took delivery today, and saw a panel gap between the rear windshield and the rooftop glass. Normally, a rubber seal spans the gap between these 2 glass pieces. In my case, the rubber seal is only attached to the rear glass. The rear glass is also too close to my trunk, so I think it was set unevenly.
Initially, the service tech said "it's within specs". I pointed out the seal is about 2mm away from the roof glass, so water can enter. He said that's ok. I said "OK, cool, as long as that test drive model 3 has the same gap, I won't complain." Obviously, the other car didn't have that issue. Neither did a second car we inspected.
I have a service date on the 25th.
update.... Mr. Li went to the car hospital and the roof gap is now fixed 😁 Everything went totally according to plan. Oh, and now my garage is totally set-up too. We're up and running!