Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery tomorrow - Test Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CPO means it's a used car, right? If it was a new car, they might not want to let you drive it before you buy it because another buyer might balk at buying a car some other prospective buyer has driven. That's why they have demo cars for test drives, and then they sell the demo at a reduced price. But if it's already a used car, letting you drive it doesn't really change anything. (Unless you damage it, in which case your insurance is liable.) So I'm not surprised they've said you can test-drive it before signing, and I'll bet they keep their word.

And of course, it's a Tesla, so you're going to love it. Checking for cosmetic damage and such-like is the main thing. Oh, and once your wife drives it she'll love it, too. She might love it so much you never get to drive it.

These things are known to change pretty rapidly :)
Indeed.

"This seems stupid. Are you sure this isn't stupid?"
Followed shortly by...
"When can I get one?"

To OP, or any others buying a CPO: I would not purchase without a thorough inspection and test drive. Maybe Tesla could justify a "No Test Drives" policy on a new built-to-order, but a CPO already has miles. The deposit showed you're serious. I struggle to entertain the thought they'd lose a sale over a couple miles on a CPO. Just look it over carefully. Mechanical issues will be covered under warranty, but they're fussy with cosmetic damage so be especially thorough with cosmetic issues. If you find any, make sure their correction is noted on your due bill.

It is not about test driving a random car that you have never put a deposit on.
Once you've placed a deposit on a particular car, you have entered into a contract to buy that car or to lose the deposit.
No, you've placed a deposit on the car. The deposit holds the car until it's been inspected to your satisfaction, at which point you make full payment and sign the final contract.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that no one permits a test drive of a car for which you've placed a deposit. I've done exactly that multiple times, once even on a limited edition where fewer than 100 copies were made. It is not unusual.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Do not mash the throttle with your wife in the car until she admits it's a pretty cool car. Only then have her put her head back on the head rest, get ready and then give it a test. To insure she is ready, have her do the count down, 3, 2, 1, go so she has a sense of control over it. She may never want another hard acceleration or she may love it. Some people react badly to being slammed back in the seat.

Happy wife, happy life.

Do not mash the throttle with your wife in the car until she admits it's a pretty cool car. Only then have her put her head back on the head rest, get ready and then give it a test. To insure she is ready, have her do the count down, 3, 2, 1, go so she has a sense of control over it. She may never want another hard acceleration or she may love it. Some people react badly to being slammed back in the seat.

Happy wife, happy life.

I've had grown men go "Eeeek!" when I floored my Roadster while they were riding with me. And some versions of the S have more acceleration than my Roadster. I don't think there'd be as much of an issue with the base model S. It's peppy but probably wouldn't scare anyone.

3 weeks for cpo, I just pulled the trigger last week for CPO (before that I went for a scheduled test drive for a new car and spent 2 hours in the showroom. I was looking at Inventory cars, but my wife was not happy with the price. Found a CPO with ap1 and jump. They are telling me it won't be ready until the end of feb beginning of March