Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

deposit is needed to test drive model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to Tesla sale center in Yorkdale mall Toronto today and requested for a test drive for model Y. Sale rep told me they only allow test drive model Y for serious buyer who put down deposit. Plus today is the day to put down deposit for Sep delivery. Is model Y that hot right now that all test drive require a deposit? Wondering if everyone has smiliar test drive experience?

So I went to Tesla sale center in Yorkdale mall Toronto today and requested for a test drive for model Y. Sale rep told me they only allow test drive model Y for serious buyer who put down deposit. Plus today is the day to put down deposit for Sep delivery. Is model Y that hot right now that all test drive require a deposit? Wondering if everyone has smiliar test drive experience?

@coolmanfever sounds to me like you got an awful salesperson that was too pushy. My partner and I drove an MY at the Robson st. location in Vancouver without paying a dime. The sales rep may be right about September deliveries, as when you go on the Tesla website to configure an MY, it estimates 3-6 weeks delivery (at least I still did as of last night, haven't looked today). Assuming the latter end of that range, if you placed your order ASAP you'd be in line for a late September delivery. But I think they were mostly just trying to pressure you into a sale!

Does anyone know how the sales reps in retail Tesla stores are compensated? Are they commission or straight salary? Do they get sales bonuses and so on? Just curious as I thought this type of malarkey (self-censored word choice) was something you were supposed to no longer experience when buying a Tesla.

I test drove a model Y at the Lawrence Ave store last week. No deposit required. Have to book ahead and send copy of license and insurance. They gave me the key card and a choice of AWD or Performance and asked me to be back in 30 minutes.

I have dropped in at the Yorkdale store a couple of times, before and after Covid. Being in a shopping mall, Yorkdale is chaotic and reps give you little attention and I didn't find them to be knowledgeable. It's ok if you just want to see how the cars look, but if you want serious information or a test drive or to buy, better to go to the real stores. IMHO.

Test drove a Model Y at the Vaughan Service Centre. Did it via website. On the day of test drive, went to the front entrance and they took down my driver's license and insurance. Asked me if I knew how to drive a Tesla, I said yes and was given the card. Rep came out with me to the car for any final questions and I was on my way. No need for a deposit. It was pretty easy.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@coolmanfever sounds to me like you got an awful salesperson that was too pushy. My partner and I drove an MY at the Robson st. location in Vancouver without paying a dime. The sales rep may be right about September deliveries, as when you go on the Tesla website to configure an MY, it estimates 3-6 weeks delivery (at least I still did as of last night, haven't looked today). Assuming the latter end of that range, if you placed your order ASAP you'd be in line for a late September delivery. But I think they were mostly just trying to pressure you into a sale!

Does anyone know how the sales reps in retail Tesla stores are compensated? Are they commission or straight salary? Do they get sales bonuses and so on? Just curious as I thought this type of malarkey (self-censored word choice) was something you were supposed to no longer experience when buying a Tesla.
As far as I am aware, Tesla reps are on salary with no bonuses for sales, but I have no facts to back those suppositions beyond Tweets Elon has made in the past.

As far as I am aware, Tesla reps are on salary with no bonuses for sales, but I have no facts to back those suppositions beyond Tweets Elon has made in the past.
I have a friend that worked for Tesla in the US and he said they are indeed salaried with no commission per sale, but there are bonus for the team if they hit certain sales targets.

Reminds of the time i was 17 and wanted to buy a VW , Queensway VW in etobicoke would not let me test drive it, so i went to Mississauga VW instead, bought it there. once i got the car i just dropped in and found the same sales guy just to rub it in his face.

I just drove both a Model 3 and Y on Saturday at the Calgary service location. A deposit was not required, just a check that my drivers license was up to date and sign a form saying any tickets are my responsibility. They gave me the key card and told me to be back in 25 minutes (due to test driving both cars), normally it is 30 minutes in the car. Staff was super friendly and helpful, they walked me though how to set up the car then turned me loose.