Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposit on demo car made, but Tesla won’t let me drive it before buying, is that normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds crazy to me, why can’t I drive the car I’m about to buy, especially since it’s not brand new and has 900 miles on it?

The salesman told me it went through Tesla’s thorough checkpoint inspection, however, two wheels have curb rash, that according to them, must have been missed during their inspection, and they’ll fix or replace. But I’m thinking; if they missed severe curb rash on two of the wheels, there’s no way they inspected the entire car.

• Love
Reactions: SlimJim
Its normal for Tesla, yes. Its not normal for traditional dealers, but its normal for tesla. The way Tesla sells used cars doesnt work for me, personally.

As a note "Demo" isnt a regulated car description, so the car could be sold as new, or sold as used, number of miles on it doesnt change that new vs used description, nor does "sold as a demo".

Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla is crazy. I bought my used model 3 and never even saw a picture of it. They said tesla has high standards and will not allow anything "too bad". When I got there the car had one small door ding, which cost me $200, and the rest of the car was flawless.

You can refuse to buy it but you will lose your deposit.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Outside only! Lol, until someone forgot to lock the thing and so I just opened the door and hopped in.
Ok well that’s not bad. If you can get to sit shotgun and have them drive it around some roads that are a mix of highway and city…and you can inspect the interior/ext, you pretty much know what your getting. It’s a new’ish car under full warranty. Get them to replace the curb rashed rims. That’s normal for most Perf rim cars after a bit lol

Yes, It is normal, but it shouldn't be. At some point, the company will have to actively promote sales of their cars. Until that day, they've got us by the balls.
Oddly the Tesla service/delivery facility actually does have demo cars to drive from time to time; they made a sale to my sister by letting us take a Model Y out for a good drive (w/o any staff). She always had an eye on my 3 but decided Y with lift back was more her style. Maybe the option for random demo cars depends on how many Tesla trying to sell at that time?

It sounds crazy to me, why can’t I drive the car I’m about to buy, especially since it’s not brand new and has 900 miles on it?

Have you tried slipping $50 to the sales guy?
It's a small investment into your peace of mind, if you you do intend to buy the car!

The salesman told me it went through Tesla’s thorough checkpoint inspection, however, two wheels have curb rash, that according to them, must have been missed during their inspection, and they’ll fix or replace. But I’m thinking; if they missed severe curb rash on two of the wheels, there’s no way they inspected the entire car.

Tesla Service Centers (SCs) are massively under-staffed, and under the gun to meet sales quotas.
If the sales guy has spare cycle time, he will take you on a test drive. If he doesn't, he wont. Unless you motivate him accordingly.

a

Oddly the Tesla service/delivery facility actually does have demo cars to drive from time to time; they made a sale to my sister by letting us take a Model Y out for a good drive (w/o any staff). She always had an eye on my 3 but decided Y with lift back was more her style. Maybe the option for random demo cars depends on how many Tesla trying to sell at that time?
Very possibly. Our local store has been (in the past) very accommodating for test drives for ordering cars, but that was before there were many used cares. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a 12v battery replacement, and the parking lot was absolutely stuffed with cars for delivery. They were swamped.