Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Flaw? White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, you guys were right about the sunglasses, and I was wrong.

With my Maui Jim's I can make the reflection go away if I turn my head sideways. So I just need to learn to drive with my head sideways! Or buy yet another pair of expensive polarized sunglasses that have some different angle of polarization? Typically I find turning my head to the left with sunglasses on makes monitor screens go from hard to read, to blank out completely, (not on my laptop though). This means they monitors be polarized at something like a 45 deg angle or maybe it does not mean that dunno? Maui Jims do cut the glare on water and roads so I would assume they are properly polarized but the glare from the dash is probably coming from a different angle.

So then, which manufacturers are making sunglasses that are model 3 compatible?

I'd prefer glasses lenses over acrylic as I tend to get acrylic lenses scratched pretty quickly.

Maui Jim Polar Broken Arrow | Maui Jim Clip on Sunglasses Broken Arrow
This is why I'm highly considering tinting my windshield lol

Has anyone tried the white alcantara dash replacement from RPM? I know people have said the white dash is fairly matte but maybe it would cut down on reflectivity and keep the clean white look?

I've searched everywhere and haven't found any pictures with it installed outside of their website but it looks pretty good.
Model 3 Dashboards Replacments- Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, & White - From $295
I think it's the color that is the problem. I wouldn't go white alcantara if your trying to fix this issue.

we have the Blue Model 3 and with interior.....from day one, It has been horrible for reflection of the dash onto the mirrors....not only the reflection is bad but you cannot really avoid looking at the white dash instead of whats in the mirror......we believe it is a safety issue and as such, we got some 3M Black Matrix....looks like carbon fiber..it looks just like the bottom of the cup holders.....it really makes the interior look great and has eliminated the reflection / glare by nearly 99%.......

we have the Blue Model 3 and with interior.....from day one, It has been horrible for reflection of the dash onto the mirrors....not only the reflection is bad but you cannot really avoid looking at the white dash instead of whats in the mirror......we believe it is a safety issue and as such, we got some 3M Black Matrix....looks like carbon fiber..it looks just like the bottom of the cup holders.....it really makes the interior look great and has eliminated the reflection / glare by nearly 99%.......
How did you apply the vinyl over the ends? Just use heat or multiple pieces? Did you use knifeless tape?

How did you apply the vinyl over the ends? Just use heat or multiple pieces? Did you use knifeless tape?
I used 1 piece.......took my time........the ends are the most difficult as you pointed out.....I was careful at that point....had to fold backhand pull then folded like a package....there is not an issue but you can look at the ends and see where you can fold toward the front trunk to make it look good...You cant notice the folds......I live in SoCal and it is hot....Tinted my windows with 3M Crystalline,,,,70% on windshield, 50% on roof, driver and pax windows and 40% rear windows and back trunk window.....no distortion and crystal clear......

I used 1 piece.......took my time........the ends are the most difficult as you pointed out.....I was careful at that point....had to fold backhand pull then folded like a package....there is not an issue but you can look at the ends and see where you can fold toward the front trunk to make it look good...You cant notice the folds......I live in SoCal and it is hot....Tinted my windows with 3M Crystalline,,,,70% on windshield, 50% on roof, driver and pax windows and 40% rear windows and back trunk window.....no distortion and crystal clear......
I just ordered the same brushed metal I used on the door trim. I'm planning to pull the dash to install the wrap. I'm hoping to heat the ends and stretch the material a bit. Worst case im out $60 for the material and knifeless tape I guess.

I just ordered the same brushed metal I used on the door trim. I'm planning to pull the dash to install the wrap. I'm hoping to heat the ends and stretch the material a bit. Worst case im out $60 for the material and knifeless tape I guess.
good choice....pulling the dash is not difficult at all....thats what I did.....made it easier.....I really liked the 3M I got...matches the bottom of the coffee cups holder in the center console perfectly

Luxor beige dashes in Porsche have the same issue but 100x worse. On a bright day looking out the windshield all you see is the dash reflected, and it's hugely distracting. Just an FYI if you're ever looking at a Porsche with full Luxor interior be very careful - and they literally hold their value worse because of it.

I noticed the white reflection on a Model 3 in a test drive, and that combined with how soft the seats were made white a no go for me. I still think the black seats are too soft, but the white ones were even plusher which wreaked havoc on my back in a 20 minute drive.

Luxor beige dashes in Porsche have the same issue but 100x worse. On a bright day looking out the windshield all you see is the dash reflected, and it's hugely distracting. Just an FYI if you're ever looking at a Porsche with full Luxor interior be very careful - and they literally hold their value worse because of it.

I noticed the white reflection on a Model 3 in a test drive, and that combined with how soft the seats were made white a no go for me. I still think the black seats are too soft, but the white ones were even plusher which wreaked havoc on my back in a 20 minute drive.
I didn't find there to be a big difference in softness, I went with white because black was kinda plain looking with everything else also being black. Well that and my seats will never burn my skin in the summer, which is why I don't like black interiors. Too bad there isn't a cool gray color or something.