Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Face is getting sunburnt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I own a M3 with a white interior and my windows aren't tinted (I plan on it). I've noticed that when I drive my M3 on sunny days, I come home to red cheeks that almost feel sunburnt even from a short drive. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. I'm thinking it might be the reflection of the white interior but I'm not sure. I've never experienced this with my other cars!

It's unlikely you're getting sunburned through the windows.

If you want to test, put sunblock on half your face, and see what happens.

Have you had any of the glass replaced? Pretty sure if you look at the markings on each panel of glass... that say "Tesla" and other stuff it will talk about the UV protection. I think it is sufficient for practically all drivers. I'm thinking there is some other sun exposure you getting or other skin irritant you are exposed to. I asked about glass replacement because maybe you have some non-OEM cheap glass that doesn't have the normal UV protection?

Hi all, I own a M3 with a white interior and my windows aren't tinted (I plan on it). I've noticed that when I drive my M3 on sunny days, I come home to red cheeks that almost feel sunburnt even from a short drive.

What exact does "almost feel" feels like?
You are either sunburned (unmistakable feeling), or you are not. If you are not sure, you are probably not.

Either way, it would be highly unlikely to get sunburned inside ANY modern vehicle, including Teslas, since vehicle glass blocks 99+% of UV spectrum.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. I'm thinking it might be the reflection of the white interior but I'm not sure. I've never experienced this with my other cars!

Color of the interior is a red herring.
For UV light to get reflected off the interior surfaces, it has to get through the glass in the first place. Which it won't, since vehicle glass blocks UV spectrum.

Have you been outdoors much, lately?
Any chance you got exposed to sunlight that way?

What exact does "almost feel" feels like?
You are either sunburned (unmistakable feeling), or you are not. If you are not sure, you are probably not.

Either way, it would be highly unlikely to get sunburned inside ANY modern vehicle, including Teslas, since vehicle glass blocks 99+% of UV spectrum.

Color of the interior is a red herring.
For UV light to get reflected off the interior surfaces, it has to get through the glass in the first place. Which it won't, since vehicle glass blocks UV spectrum.

Have you been outdoors much, lately?
Any chance you got exposed to sunlight that way?
While you are 1000% correct, I still prefer the previous advice for the OP to put sunscreen on half their face. It matches the ridiculousness of the original assertion.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
I definitely feel like I'm getting roasted in my un-tinted car. I especially notice it around december when the sun is lower in the sky and sometimes hangs below the roofline. I know it's not sunburn, but it's still like having a a radiant heater 6" from my face. Very uncomfortable. I've been meaning to tint since I bought the car, but other priorities have taken precedence.

I definitely feel like I'm getting roasted in my un-tinted car. I especially notice it around december when the sun is lower in the sky and sometimes hangs below the roofline. I know it's not sunburn, but it's still like having a a radiant heater 6" from my face. Very uncomfortable. I've been meaning to tint since I bought the car, but other priorities have taken precedence.
This I can understand. From a physics perspective there is a lot of EMF (electromagnetic fields) coming at your car windows. There is visible light, UV (ultraviolet) light, IR (infrared), Gamma rays, X rays, Microwave and Radio waves. That feeling of radiant heat is IR which isn't dangerous... like sunburn/cancer causing to your skin like UV. UV should be mostly blocked by car windows. I don't think IR is a priority to be blocked by car windows but it probably is a little and you can get tints that specially block or let it thru.

the "sandwiched" windshield with a layer of PVB between the glass will filter ~99% of UV A and B rays. Even if there is no tint. Same goes for newer dual-pane side windows whereas the old single layer side windows will let 75% of UV A (skin cancer) through but also still block nearly all of UV B (the sunburn)

Reactions: focher