Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Revisions 4-10-15 (Yes, again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update. These new tweaks are better. I would still have to pay more (~$2000) than I did when I first priced my 85D out in late 2014, but now it would have next gen front seats, alcantara headliner, and whatever extra lighting and leather trim also comes with the premium package.

I had actually been hoping something would happen with the headliner situation. I want Gray seats, and I think the black headliner matches better with the mixed gray/black interior and wood trim. The way the separate alcantara option was priced it was hard to justify.

Okay I'm happy that Tesla realized that at $5K the Premium Interior option package was way over priced and they dropped the price down to $3K. At that price the package seems worth it. It seems that Tesla clearly responded to the many complaints on this forum and no doubt on the TM forum. Kudos to Tesla!

But I am shocked that they dropped so many colors, and in particular the light Silver color that is a popular color and a color that is available from practically every manufacturer.

That almost seems like a website glitch and not a real change.

The one thing I don't get is making the 21" silver wheels exclusive to the P85D. I see far, FAR more silver 21s here in SF than I do dark grey 21s. And in my humble opinion, the dark grey 21s are the more aggressive, sportier-looking of the two. If I could afford an S, I'd get it with dark grey 21s anyway. Do they really think people would upgrade to the P85D just for the silver 21s?

Curious choice by Tesla here, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible!).

Last edited:
This almost reminds me of my smart car--the colors are constantly being added, being removed, going away and re-introduced with every single model year.

I personally hope there's a much wider selection of colors for the Model 3. I really want a vibrant green or yellow of some sort available at that time.

Another easy way to verify that the renamed Midnight Silver is the same color as the Grey is to choose it in the Design studio and then right click on the hood and choose View Image.

You'll get this URL:
http://my.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/configurator/MODELS_20150410/1440/STUD_3QTR/ms_stud_3qtr_pmng.png

The pmng is the paint code and the Steel Grey (aka New Grey) is PMNG. The Tiburon Grey (aka Old Grey) was PMTG.

ms_stud_3qtr_pmng.png

- - - Updated - - -

That almost seems like a website glitch and not a real change.

Was just in the Bellevue, WA store tonight and they said they got an email from Elon about it this evening. So I don't think it's a glitch.

So it looks like the difference between my order of...

85D
Red Multi-Coat
Body Color Roof
Standard 19” Wheels
Tan Leather Seats
Piano Black Decor
Black Headliner
Tech Package with Autopilot
Air Suspension
High Fidelity Sound

...and...

85D
Red Multi-Coat
Body Color Roof
Standard 19” Wheels
Tan Leather Seats
Piano Black Decor
Black Headliner
Autopilot Convenience Features
Air Suspension
High Fidelity Sound
Premium Interior and Lighting

...is $130 (including the $30 change to the dest fee). Or $630 if changing an existing order ($500 change fee)

But that $130 change really only adds Alcantara Accents, Nappa Leather Armrests and Dashboard, and Interior Accent Lighting, correct? Seems worth it compared to what it was just a couple days ago.

I still can't believe the basic white has gone. White means fresh, future, new, epitome of electric cars, especially tesla s with pano. It should be standard not a MC premium.

Not sure I will recover from this, its like Diane leaving Cheers, all over again.

If the crowd was making the decisions, Tesla wouldn't still be showing a misleading price for the car in bold with "after gas savings" in pale fine print underneath. This is an unforced error-- it doesn't cost anything to display the actual price of the car correctly, and opens the company up to more criticism from Tesla haters and car dealers (actually that's redundant).

If the crowd was making the decisions, Tesla wouldn't still be showing a misleading price for the car in bold with "after gas savings" in pale fine print underneath. This is an unforced error-- it doesn't cost anything to display the actual price of the car correctly, and opens the company up to more criticism from Tesla haters and car dealers (actually that's redundant).

In the end I don't think the misleading "after gas savings" will have any effect on sales but had they left the premium package at $5,000 it most certainly would have effected sales.

I'm also caught in limbo about all these changes since I ordered my 85d 10 days ago. I have a hard time keeping everything straight. I can't find all the components of the tech package I ordered pre April 8. Does anyone have the info or can direct me to a site that might have it? Thanks