Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Study: Ferrari FF & Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't help but notice the similarity between these two cars. Similar concept (except for the number of doors), but I have to say the FF looks as if it was designed by a committee, while the Model S looks as if designed by an individual. The purity of line of the Model S is quite evident here.

The Model S design has been called too conservative, but I think it will stand the test of time better than most other cars made today.

FerrariFF.jpg

ModelSSilverPerf.jpg

(In case you're curious, I modified the Tesla silver in this photo to match the Ferrari.)

Very interesting. I never thought of design similarities between these two cars, but in the above photos, the general shape at a glance is quite similar. Having said that, it's amazing how one can look so elegant (Model S) and the other just falls short (FF). There is an FF down the street from me that usually sits in a driveway, and every time I pass it I cringe at the thought that someone spent $300K on it. The front is attractive, but any other view is awkward because of that big booty hatchback look. I feel the same way about the Panamera, which has great bones but on the surface remains an ugly car.

I couldn't help but notice the similarity between these two cars. Similar concept (except for the number of doors), but I have to say the FF looks as if it was designed by a committee, while the Model S looks as if designed by an individual. The purity of line of the Model S is quite evident here.

The Model S design has been called too conservative, but I think it will stand the test of time better than most other cars made today.

View attachment 15384

View attachment 15386

(In case you're curious, I modified the Tesla silver in this photo to match the Ferrari.)

There are a number of styling elements on the Ferrari that are quite clumsy. The very ungraceful break in the roofline, the rear quarter window surround, those side scoops on the rear bumpers -- the best word for it all would be gimmicky.

I've always been fond of the FF. The styling is absolutely gorgeous and the shooting brake style really is stunning. I've seen a couple up close and to me the car has a bit of boy racer mixed in with brute strength.

Given the option to take a Model S Perf or a FF (and I couldn't immediately sell it) I would go with the Model S but it would be a damn tough call.

IMO - the view above isn't very flattering.

In recent years, Ferrari has taken a "Swiss Army Knife" approach to design. To their credit, everything on their cars is related to performance. There's no fluff, no gimmicks. The problem is that engineering has taken precedence over design. This trend appears to coincide with the exit of Pininfarina as Ferrari's primary design firm. IMO, recent Ferraris, such as the F12, seem almost to be cartoon caricatures with their oversize grilles and exaggerated styling. They remind me of the vehicles in the animated movie, Cars.

If you look back at the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso, 275 GTB/4, 330/P4, 456 GT, or even the F360, these were simply beautiful cars that also had extraordinary performance. They were masculine on the inside and decidedly feminine on the outside. In the past decade Ferrari has lost that feminine exterior. A rare exception IMO is the current 458, which has a very lovely line.

Last edited: