Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of getting new car for wife but not sure new or pre-owed new. I can get one with 3200 miles on it for $5,000 cheaper than new but it has a $2,000 destination charge but I dont see were new ones have that. Can anyone tell me if new cars have a destination charge added to them.? That $2,000 difference could make a difference on which one i buy.

I am thinking of getting new car for wife but not sure new or pre-owed new. I can get one with 3200 miles on it for $5,000 cheaper than new but it has a $2,000 destination charge but I dont see were new ones have that. Can anyone tell me if new cars have a destination charge added to them.? That $2,000 difference could make a difference on which one i buy.
The $2,000 delivery charge on the used car is what it costs to have it shipped from wherever it is to wherever you are.

All new Teslas have a mandatory $1200 destination/doc fee added to the price you see in the configurator.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and Prowler

If you are willing/able to go to where the used car is located, you could avoid the $2k transportation cost e.g., fly to location and then drive it home. Otherwise, you would have to pay the $2k or so (it's an estimate). The fee is similar to what dealers like CarMax and Carvana charge to ship cars from a distant location. The further away the car is, the higher the cost. Also keep in mind that the transportation cost is non-refundable so if you don't like the car for whatever reason, you are still on the hook for the $2k unless it was significantly misrepresented in some way.

If the price difference, factoring in transportation cost, is only $3k I would suggest going new.