Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers at Supercharger Sites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Moderator note: The first 14 posts in this thread were split off from a thread about a specific Supercharger site.

Oh yeah there are LOTS of locations that have destination chargers. Wish there was a way to document them all but Plugshare only shows the Superchargers

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah there are LOTS of locations that do. Wish there was a way to document them all but Plugshare only shows the Superchargers

There is a way. Yesterday I found out Plugshare will show you destination chargers if you select Tesla, not Tesla Fast.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 8.40.20 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff and Brando
There is a way. Yesterday I found out Plugshare will show you destination chargers if you select Tesla, not Tesla Fast.

I know THAT, what it doesn't show is destination chargers AT a Supercharger. Here is a grand example, Barstow, CA Tanger Way Supercharger:

20220525_195100-jpg.808990

There are probably as many parking spaces with free Destination Chargers here as there are with Superchargers (although there were again as many Supercharger concrete bases already poured, so there will be more soon). But nowhere does Plugshare or ChargeWay show these chargers.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.20.37 AM.png

Even Tesla.com disavows knowledge of these chargers:

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.28.43 AM.png

I have created Plugshare stations FOR those Destination Chargers near me at one of the Richmond, CA and one of the Emeryville, CA Superchargers, but I keep getting them messed with by do-gooders (potentially Plugshare employees, can anyone else delete a site?) trying to "fix" what they THINK I was talking about, so I keep having to go back and put them back in.

Last edited:
I know THAT, what it doesn't show is destination chargers AT a Supercharger. Here is a grand example, Barstow, CA Tanger Way Supercharger:

20220525_195100-jpg.808990

There are probably as many parking spaces with free Destination Chargers here as there are with Superchargers (although there were again as many Supercharger concrete bases already poured, so there will be more soon). But nowhere does Plugshare or ChargeWay show these chargers.

View attachment 824359

Even Tesla.com disavows knowledge of these chargers:

View attachment 824360

I have created Plugshare stations FOR those Destination Chargers near me at one of the Richmond, CA and one of the Emeryville, CA Superchargers, but I keep getting them messed with by do-gooders (potentially Plugshare employees, can anyone else delete a site?) trying to "fix" what they THINK I was talking about, so I keep having to go back and put them back in.

Well that sucks.

@mociaf9 Since Tesla's database is not up to date and Plugshare info is constantly being deleted, can supercharge.info accept Destination Charger entries? Just the Desti chargers at Superchargers would be nice.

The Barstow destination chargers have a separate listing. Normally I'd like to have them in the same listing as the Superchargers, but PlugShare has the Supercharger location locked, so they can't be added.

No - supercharge.info does not have provisions to handle destination chargers. That sounds like a complete nightmare to try and keep track of with any sort of accuracy.

Reactions: mociaf9 and Fiver
Well that sucks.

@mociaf9 Since Tesla's database is not up to date and Plugshare info is constantly being deleted, can supercharge.info accept Destination Charger entries? Just the Desti chargers at Superchargers would be nice.
It certainly doesn't do so currently. Though I have no first hand knowledge on this matter, I think without too much coding difficulty it could be possible to add a Yes/No field like those for Solar Canopy and Battery Storage which would indicate whether a supercharger has co-located destination chargers. Listing the number of stations might also be possible. Then that info would just be displayed in the flag for any supercharger location that is already being tracked, i.e. the raison d'être of SC.info. I definitely don't think it would be a good idea for SC.info to start trying to track all destination chargers regardless of their connection to superchargers. I started a thread to propose and discuss this idea in the Site Feedback section of the Supercharge.info forum. Anyone interested in the matter or wanting to further discuss it should do so there as it's definitely off topic in this thread.

CC: @corywright (SC.info's administrator)

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Followed that link. Looks like the Supercharge.info guys (and gals) don't wanna add that data for Superchargers. It's not crowdsourced like Plugshare is so I guess I understand their point. I wonder who gets them info for local WiFi and Restrooms tho

Followed that link. Looks like the Supercharge.info guys (and gals) don't wanna add that data for Superchargers. It's not crowdsourced like Plugshare is so I guess I understand their point. I wonder who gets them info for local WiFi and Restrooms tho

supercharge.info does not track information about WiFi, restrooms or other amenities. The only information that's tracked outside of the typical location and stall count information is site hours, which are entered manually.

PlugShare gets amenity information from either users or the networks themselves.

Last edited:
Oh, I am confusing Supercharge.info with the Superchargers app. Not sure where THEY store that extra data like WiFi, Restrooms, Restaurants, Shopping. They even have a field for describing the chargers, perhaps wherever that info comes from we could add the Destination Chargers to.

Did you just add that? It wasn't there when I wrote this earlier. I am happy to have them listed as their own location as I can search for FREE charging (my passion) and have them show up. If they were on the Supercharger's listing they would be marked as pay for even though they are not
my passion is free charging especially Tesla Wall Chargers because it's FREE

Reactions: EdSt
May not be forever.
With Tesla's track record, you may be correct.

On the other hand, it may be more of a hassle for Tesla than it is worth. Clearly the infrastructure cost of the 48A L2 is a small fraction of the cost of Superchargers. Charging rates would be between 32A and 48A depending upon the vehicle. The markups at Superchargers not only take into account the cost of electricity (including demand charges) but also the cost of the hardware, software, repairs, and maintenance. Demand charges at the L2 plugs will be a lot lower than for Superchargers.

Since we might be hit with idle fees at Superchargers, it might be something for Tesla to consider charging by the hour at these L2 chargers with maybe the first hour free. After that, perhaps $2.00/hour. That way, if you just want to eat lunch or dinner, you don't have to worry about moving your car after 20 minutes. And if you are planning on spending the afternoon there, you can fill your battery much less expensively than at a SC.

As a side note, I see that many locations in California now have peak and off-peak times for the kWh rates. Peak rates average around 46¢/kWh. Off-peak rates are about 24¢/kWh. However, these locations are concentrated in urban areas around the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Highway locations along Interstate 5 and highway 99 do not have this split as yet--one rate at the 44-48¢/kWh 24 hours per day. So there is precedent with Tesla to have lower kWh rates at selected charging locations.

This perspective is from a crystal ball that has seen better days......