Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Ok, I'm really sorry for all the questions but I have found a 13kWh destination charger that is very close to a please I visit frequently, would I be correct in thinking I would see 45-50 miles of charge per hour at this rate on my Model 3? Thanks

I believe that the maximum rate your car can accept via a Destination Charger is determined by the type of Model 3 you have.

See attached.

Try the 'Tap the lightning bolt icon on the touchscreen to view the max amperage of your vehicle'

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 Onboard Charging Rates.png
    Tesla Model 3 Onboard Charging Rates.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: m3gt2 and Roy W.
I think max you will get with model 3 with type 2 AC is 7kW single phase, 11kW 3 phase. I got the latter when I briefly tried a destination charger.

~70kWh battery at 11kW in perfect world 20% - 80% (14-56kWh) would require 42kWh (60% range topup) which at 11kW would be 3h48m.

If you got 310 miles on fully battery (242 Wh/mile) then 186 miles in 3h48 or 49 miles per hour
or
If you got 200 miles on full battery (375 Wh/mile) then 120 miles in 3h38 or 31 miles per hour

Real life will probably be some where in between and charging rate is not linear. It will give average/instant Wh/mile on energy graph including forecast for planned trips.

e&oe

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
I believe that the maximum rate your car can accept via a Destination Charger is determined by the type of Model 3 you have.

See attached.

Try the 'Tap the lightning bolt icon on the touchscreen to view the max amperage of your vehicle'

thanks, I have a Performance so should get the faster rate :)

I got 43 miles an hour charge using one on a Performance

thank, hopefully I will get the same rate then! Also, are all destination chargers CCS or do you use the type 2?

I've just been out to check my SR+. It's not plugged in and is showing my max current as 16A, however I have charged up several times at a local Tesco Pod Point charger at 30A (7kW free charger).

So it may be a case of just give-it-a-go and see what you get!

Reactions: m3gt2
are all destination chargers CCS or do you use the type 2?

Two different things:

Type-2 is A/C and typically "not very fast" - hours to charge. Charging speed depends on kWs of course ... but the car has a limit on how many kW of A/C it can take (governed by the car's ability to convert A/C to D/C) typically 7kW (or 11kW on 3-Phase; some Model-S/X can take a bit more than that). This is typically what is referred to as "Destination chargers" - the sort of thing you get in shopping malls, golf courses, work charging and the like, where you will be parked for "hours". 7KW is nudging 30 MPH charging rate

CCS (and Supercharger) are D/C, higher voltage, much higher kW - 130kW at Supercharger and some 3rd party chargers can deliver 350kW (although Tesla cannot take advantage of that much, yet). If you arrive at 10% or so then you can get 150+ miles @ 100-ish kW in the first 20-30 minutes. Very frequent "Rapid" / "Ultra" charging is not good for the battery, so if you don't have Home Charging better to use Destination chargers for the majority of your charging. No need to give Rapid charging a second though for occasional use (I wouldn't worry if 10% of my charging was Rapid)

Model-S/X now come with CCS adaptors, so can charge at 3rd party CCS stalls.

Hopefully I've got my facts right ...

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
It seems that you may be correct here Upgraded. I spoke to my friends who have a hotel with two destination chargers. They tell me that people who want to use these have to be either patrons of the hotel services or staff members. He tells me that some people try to just buy one drink in the bar and use one of the chargers for three or four hours; he doesn't allow that sort of thing but I suppose it takes some policing.

I thought, as many others seem to have, that destination chargers were free to use and anyone could use them whether or not you used the facilities offered at that site. Think I might be wrong there............

It seems that you may be correct here Upgraded. I spoke to my friends who have a hotel with two destination chargers. They tell me that people who want to use these have to be either patrons of the hotel services or staff members. He tells me that some people try to just buy one drink in the bar and use one of the chargers for three or four hours; he doesn't allow that sort of thing but I suppose it takes some policing.

I thought, as many others seem to have, that destination chargers were free to use and anyone could use them whether or not you used the facilities offered at that site. Think I might be wrong there............
That doesn’t really sound true to the spirit of Tesla’s intentions when they install these at businesses for free. I wouldn’t give them my business on principle if they’re so petty about a bit of electricity.

The free installation of chargers is meant to work both ways - it gives Tesla a larger installed base, and it gives a reason for Tesla owners to frequent the business, thus boosting turnover.

Your friends sound like the sort of people who would charge for use if they were allowed to.

That doesn’t really sound true to the spirit of Tesla’s intentions when they install these at businesses for free. I wouldn’t give them my business on principle if they’re so petty about a bit of electricity.

The free installation of chargers is meant to work both ways - it gives Tesla a larger installed base, and it gives a reason for Tesla owners to frequent the business, thus boosting turnover.

Your friends sound like the sort of people who would charge for use if they were allowed to.

I've been looking at destination chargers in preparation for an upcoming holiday. Most of them at hotels/restaurants/golf clubs etc are annotated as patrons only.

problem is that "Free" is abused. I'm perfectly happy that Landlord restricts to Patrons only. Why should Landlord pay for juice for people to clog up parking spaces / charging spaces, and not frequent the Fine Establishment?

Or maybe I got completely the wrong end of your point?

I thought, as many others seem to have, that destination chargers were free to use and anyone could use them whether or not you used the facilities offered at that site

Someone has to pay for the Juice though.

We have QR code on our chargers at work. Staff are free to use them, but have to "clock in" and usage is monitored and people using 2kWh Tue-Fri, but 100kWh EVERY Monday, is definitely noted!

Visitors ... actually, I have NO IDEA what happens to visiting EVs ... mostly they are Teslas and presumably have range enough anyway ...

If they are only meant for patron
I've been looking at destination chargers in preparation for an upcoming holiday. Most of them at hotels/restaurants/golf clubs etc are annotated as patrons only.

Where is that info? I’m worried now that I stole 7p of electricity in a midnight raid!

I couldn’t even read the Tesla only signage let alone any restrictions it was so dark.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.