Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging at Squaw Valley Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ill be spending quite a few weekends at the village at Squaw this winter. I've confirmed with them that they do have a few chargers available to guests though the guy I spoke with didn't know what kind they were.

Does anyone have experience charging there that can probably vide some insight.

Thanks!

I'm not sure you will even need to - assuming you are taking 80 from the Bay Area you can supercharge in Truckee before heading over to Squaw and you should be fine for the weekend and then just Supercharge on your way out if you used up much battery.

They do have chargers scattered about but I think the best ones are L2 ones that are 20 or 30-amp only. Truckee isn't that far away and if you topped off there, it's very close to Squaw, only a quick drive and given the amount of traffic on that stretch, maybe only 15 or 20 RM of usage to get there.

Even if you came up on Friday, charged at Truckee and went back and forth to Tahoe City from the Villiage over the weekend for food and drink you will still have plenty of charge available Sunday, then just hit the Truckee SC on your way home.

upload_2016-11-19_13-5-8.png

I'm not sure you will even need to - assuming you are taking 80 from the Bay Area you can supercharge in Truckee before heading over to Squaw and you should be fine for the weekend and then just Supercharge on your way out if you used up much battery.

They do have chargers scattered about but I think the best ones are L2 ones that are 20 or 30-amp only. Truckee isn't that far away and if you topped off there, it's very close to Squaw, only a quick drive and given the amount of traffic on that stretch, maybe only 15 or 20 RM of usage to get there.

Even if you came up on Friday, charged at Truckee and went back and forth to Tahoe City from the Village over the weekend for food and drink you will still have plenty of charge available Sunday, then just hit the Truckee SC on your way home.

I Agree. I own a home at Squaw Valley and don't bother with the local L2 chargers.
Just fill up at the Truckee Supercharger coming inbound or outbound and you are set. :cool:

ill be spending quite a few weekends at the village at Squaw this winter. I've confirmed with them that they do have a few chargers available to guests though the guy I spoke with didn't know what kind they were.

Does anyone have experience charging there that can probably vide some insight.

There are four J1772 chargers across the parking lot from the Village, right next to the Cornice Cantina. They are free (possibly the only free thing at Squaw!). I've charged there many times while skiing, getting about 19mph in my P85 Model S. Yes, it isn't really necessary unless you can't charge where you are staying and will be in the area for several days and driving around without getting back out to one of the Truckee superchargers. I have only very occasionally found all the spots taken, and they are very rarely ICE'd since the Squaw guys are pretty good about making sure that doesn't happen.

Occasionally one of the chargers would go bad and deliver only about 3mph, so I advise checking before you leave your car.

One drawback is that the chargers are way across the parking lot, so it's always a long walk. It's a shorter walk to Far East if you have that choice.

Best of luck with the snow this winter!