Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destroying tires, alignment issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to wear the tire in such manner, the camber should be so super-off that it won't be possible to miss. And still, it won't be 5K, rather regular (well, for Tesla) 10..15K with inclined pattern.
Fast inner tread wear without visible camber issue is clearly toe-out. On rebuilt car it's more than possible if body geometry is off. May be impossible to fix without custom-made parts (unless you can find rear toe kit which I doubt ever exists).

A simple test would be to measure centre to centre of the two right side wheels then centre to centre of the two left side wheels. My brother purchased a used sports car and on the way home I followed noticing that the car was not running straight. Someone had crashed the rear axle and then adjusted the steering wheel to compensate. From the driver's view it seemed OK. Measuring the distances between wheel centres showed the problem which we fixed with a custom welded bracket.

I agree that the amount of wear shown is not a simple camber problem. Old VW Beetles had huge camber variance on the rear wheels with no serious tire wear issues.

A simple test would be to measure centre to centre of the two right side wheels then centre to centre of the two left side wheels.
Good idea, I would only add measuring diagonals as well. Control arm ball joint would be a good reference point as even fraction of an inch matters.
But regular alignment check should show such toe issue very clearly anyway.

From the picture it looks to me as if the tire is rubbing on a suspension component. I would jack up each wheel then pry under the tire with along bar to see if there is any looseness in the suspension. You can also push/pull the tire by the edges. A tell tale clunk will be heard and felt if there is a worn joint.

With your extreme wear toe in error should be obvious. Drive the car and park it then with a tape measure and a buddy to help, measure the distance between identical tread channels at the front and rear of the tire. You can then adjust toe in to be close to spec before taking the car in for a full 4 wheel alignment.

I doubt that camber is causing your problem.
Actually excessive negative camber can contribute significantly to this problem. Tesla had an issue with the early cars of the upper control arm bushings would wear out prematurely putting the ride on the inside 1inch of the tire (crazy I know ). Replace those with redesign...set ride height and align. I now get mileage out of the 21” tires that are frankly unbelievable (50-60k miles) Happy wrenching.