Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailers... using All-Purpose Cleaner on seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any credible opinions on whether APC is safe to use on our seats? I've seen experienced professional detailers talk about how they only use APC on real leather, and 10+ years later, the seats are still almost brand-new. I'm assuming it should be the same for our "vegan leather" seats (AKA plastic)?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I've never personally used Meguiars APC on our leather seats. But I found several sources online that says it is safe to use on interior surfaces including leather and fabric seats. I would dilute it 10:1 and try it on a small inconsipcuous area first. Or you could email Meguiar's customer service to confirm.

If you have some ONR, you can first try that at the proper dilution ratio and only do the APC if ONR doesn't work.

Hope that helps.

Leatherette (eg, vinyl / synthetic leather) has been around forever and is used quite a bit in European vehicles in particular (BMW). Properly diluted auto-appropriate APC works great for cleaning this surface. Meguiars APC is great but even better IMO is the Optimum APC (OPC). I prefer not to use more general household type APCs.

To use OPC or Meguiar's APC, dilute it 10:1 (H20 to APC), toss in a spray bottle, and you have a great interior cleaner for your seats. For a real deep clean, which is probably only needed annually at most, I haven't found anything that beats diluted OPC with a bit of dwell time and agitation, some steam, and a final wipe. The same process works beautifully for carpets, floormats, etc.

I only use 10:1 OPC maybe once every couple months...I can usually get away with just a little diluted ONR in a spray bottle and wipe the seats down every time the exterior gets washed. Even better is to apply a protectant like Optimum Protectant Plus every 4-6 weeks. A little goes a LONG way and it really does help reduce abrasion as well as provides stain resistance.

Bottom line, I say buy a gallon of OPC. Its worth it. You can also dilute like 3:1 or 4:1 for heavy duty cleaning on the exterior, such as caked on dirt, tires, baked on brake dust, etc. Its a great product and COMPLETELY safe short and long term for pretty much any auto surface (wouldn't use on alcantara, as an example).

BTW, on the lable for Meguiars D180 Leather Cleaner, it gives instructions to use Meguiars D101 APC diluted 10:1 for heavy stains :

Meguiars-useD101APC.jpg

I've never personally used Meguiars APC on our leather seats. But I found several sources online that says it is safe to use on interior surfaces including leather and fabric seats. I would dilute it 10:1 and try it on a small inconsipcuous area first. Or you could email Meguiar's customer service to confirm.

If you have some ONR, you can first try that at the proper dilution ratio and only do the APC if ONR doesn't work.

Hope that helps.

Leatherette (eg, vinyl / synthetic leather) has been around forever and is used quite a bit in European vehicles in particular (BMW). Properly diluted auto-appropriate APC works great for cleaning this surface. Meguiars APC is great but even better IMO is the Optimum APC (OPC). I prefer not to use more general household type APCs.

To use OPC or Meguiar's APC, dilute it 10:1 (H20 to APC), toss in a spray bottle, and you have a great interior cleaner for your seats. For a real deep clean, which is probably only needed annually at most, I haven't found anything that beats diluted OPC with a bit of dwell time and agitation, some steam, and a final wipe. The same process works beautifully for carpets, floormats, etc.

I only use 10:1 OPC maybe once every couple months...I can usually get away with just a little diluted ONR in a spray bottle and wipe the seats down every time the exterior gets washed. Even better is to apply a protectant like Optimum Protectant Plus every 4-6 weeks. A little goes a LONG way and it really does help reduce abrasion as well as provides stain resistance.

Bottom line, I say buy a gallon of OPC. Its worth it. You can also dilute like 3:1 or 4:1 for heavy duty cleaning on the exterior, such as caked on dirt, tires, baked on brake dust, etc. Its a great product and COMPLETELY safe short and long term for pretty much any auto surface (wouldn't use on alcantara, as an example).
Thanks for the info. Are you guys saying that it's OK to use Optimum No-Rinse on your interior? Never heard of that... I keep a spray bottle of ONR diluted at the recommended ratio of 2 oz. ORN / 128 oz. water as a quick detailer. Is the ratio the same for the interior?

Nevertheless, sounds like I might invest in some Meguiars APC...

Thanks for the info. Are you guys saying that it's OK to use Optimum No-Rinse on your interior? Never heard of that... I keep a spray bottle of ONR diluted at the recommended ratio of 2 oz. ORN / 128 oz. water as a quick detailer. Is the ratio the same for the interior?

Yes, diluted ONR (at rinseless wash or less strength for sure!) is great to use on the interior. You can absolutely use the quick detailer dilution or even halve it once more for a very mild but still effective surface cleaner. Try it out -- don't worry it won't damage anything. It isn't as aggressive a diluted OPC/APC, which is a good thing, right?! Works perfect for a weekly wipe down or to clean up an acute stain. OPC/APC for a more deep cleaning.

Reactions: Dolemite
Yep,

Yep, this is from another related recent post:

1. joebruin77, May 20, 2020

This is from an Optimum rep on a detailing forum:

"Optimum No Rinse (ONR) makes an excellent interior cleaner for leather, vinyl, plastic, and glass. For cleaning AND protection, Protectant Plus is formulated for interiors (and works well on exterior plastics), isn't sticky, contains UV protection, and revitalizes leather."

So it looks like the answer is yes.

2. JasontheBeaverJason Barker

Agreed, ONR is perfectly safe for cleaning ANYTHING on your car, inside and out.
    For deep clean you'll need something a little stronger, like Optimum's Power Clean diluted 10:1

Reactions: Dolemite
Related question- I've seen a bunch of suggestions for the dash/seats/etc.

What do you people use to clean the "soft/fabric" type spots like the sun visors and the soft fuzzy section of the doors?

You can use (I do) a lightly damp microfiber (with ONR solution if you want) to wipe down the headliner/visors/alcantara door blades. Don't saturate them or spray directly.

Sonax has a great foam alcantara-specific cleaner but its probably un-needed for the model 3 door blades (more beneficial for larger area alcantara use - especially in higher wear areas).

Reactions: lUtriaNt