Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailing/Wrapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to get my car wrapped with XPEL Ultimate film. Do/Should I get the car detailed first? the installer just said to have it washed the night before, and that he would fix minor blemishes with a clay bar. He did mention not to buff any areas.

Thanks for any advice.

Same question from me. I went with a loaner with 2,500 miles. Sadly, there is some light scratches/swirls in some areas like the hood. Wondering if I should have a detailer try to buff them out before I wrap. Probably looking to do a full body wrap.

Was also wondering if the XPEL might help hide the swirls since it sort of serves as another top coat/clear coat.

The adhesive layer in the film will fill in minor swirls and scratches. What it won't do is properly adhere to the car where there is any dirt. Even a tiny speck of dirt can cause a bubble in the film. Most reputable installers will wash the car thoroughly before applying the film, and wet down each panel as they apply the film.

The adhesive layer in the film will fill in minor swirls and scratches. What it won't do is properly adhere to the car where there is any dirt. Even a tiny speck of dirt can cause a bubble in the film. Most reputable installers will wash the car thoroughly before applying the film, and wet down each panel as they apply the film.

so..getting the car detailed (handwashed, clay barred, application of sealant) would be a waste of money if the installer will do a wash and cover any flaws with film?

so..getting the car detailed (handwashed, clay barred, application of sealant) would be a waste of money if the installer will do a wash and cover any flaws with film?

No because it will reduce the time the installer has to spend prepping the car. However, a new car shouldn't need clay barring, so you can skip that step.