Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detecting front and sides when parking disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new model Y does not detect distance to obstacles in front or sides, (or behind), when parking. I think its due to the front radar being disabled. I had to accept that as a condition prior to delivery. I understand that might be remedied in a coming software update. Would appreciate any further insights from members?

The radar was removed starting around May of 2021. A disclaimer popped up on my account page when I accepted the VIN, with a long explanation about what was different about my vehicle and what would be limited at time of delivery. If I did not accept, my order would have been cancelled.

The ultrasonic sensor (USS) arrays have been removed from ALL Tesla vehicles, starting October 2022 (Some model S/X still have them, but starting to see them produced without). There has been much press about this on this forum, on Reddit, and on most online media outlets that cover Tesla. Tesla even released a statement on their website here.

The disclaimer you accepted when you scheduled delivery should be similar to the post Tesla made. They are working on unifying the FSD Vision-based software, and working on streamlining the data being input in to the FSD computer algorithm. Lex Fridman talks to Karpathy in this interview about Tesla Vision and the removal of USS, among other things.

There are also many posts about this on this forum.