Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detector for lost keys fobs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After mislaying my key fob, an inquiry found a U-tube post showing how a Tesla car could identify that its keyfob was nearby suggested to me the following: If a Tesla car could recognize the proximity of an authorized key, couldn't a portable device that could identify the presence of a specific or, perhaps ANY Tesla key, be constructed? Though a single such device might cost more than a new key fob, it would prevent an unauthorized fob from lying about, and/or a Tesla Service Center could rent or loan out the device as a customer service feature to a careless owner like myself.

Surely one of the motivated telephone or internet hackers might find this a challenge. Perhaps Tesla might be willing to help in the endeavor.

After mislaying my key fob, an inquiry found a U-tube post showing how a Tesla car could identify that its keyfob was nearby suggested to me the following: If a Tesla car could recognize the proximity of an authorized key, couldn't a portable device that could identify the presence of a specific or, perhaps ANY Tesla key, be constructed? Though a single such device might cost more than a new key fob, it would prevent an unauthorized fob from lying about, and/or a Tesla Service Center could rent or loan out the device as a customer service feature to a careless owner like myself.

Surely one of the motivated telephone or internet

Surely one of the motivated telephone or internet hackers might find this a challenge. Perhaps Tesla might be willing to help in the endeavor.

Wunderfind is a Bluetooth finder app that identifies my Tesla keyfob by name. Poor range though due to BLE LE meaning low energy and that means low signal for the key fob in resting mode. If a button is pushed on then the Bluetooth signal increases significantly but that is obviously not helpful if it is lost in the first place.