Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it happening. I'm posting less...reading posts less...letting podcast slide. I don't rant much but need to get this out there.

Here's why:

I bought the Model 3 performance version with every available option including full self driving in September. I sold my beloved Model S at an incredible loss to do this. 2 years prior to this, I also took off a day of work, waited in line 2 years and gave Tesla an interest free deposit for the privilege

The incentive was "free supercharging" as well as the tax credit.

Then the 5K debacle . 5K or give up the full self driving. I inquired about it and received an email from Tesla that I could get 5K back AND still keep the full self driving incentive. I thanked them and told them where to send the check. Nothing ever arrived. I emailed them 2 months later and they told me the initial email (i'll be happy to copy and paste it) was a mistake and now it was one or the other. In my business I back up my word. Even if the initial Tesla rep made a mistake, they should have followed through with it. Getting a customers hopes all up and then dashing them is wrong. I kept the free supercharging...dumb financially but I had it with my S (only 2k or so then) and had gotten use to it.

Next...Early access program. Sworn to secrecy or they take it back, well I am not revealing software update secrets...just that it is not what I thought it would be. I guess if they want to take it back. then take it back. I got nav on autopilot a couple of weeks early. When track mode came out, I was one of the last to receive it. Dog/Sentry mode...still have not received it. I see no benefit. I sent an e-mail to Tesla as nothing whatsoever has happened since the nav on autopilot download asking them if I something more should be happening and to verify if I was actually on the EAP list or had been dropped by mistake...after all mistakes happen as evidenced by the false 5K refund offer while keeping the free charging....crickets...not even a response.

Now...FSD debacle. I paid 5K plus 3K. Now it is 3K plus 2K...bam another 3K wasted...now we are up to 8K but there have been other reductions 3.5 K more....now up to 11.5 K...but Elon Tweated that those who overpaid for FSD could be in the early access program as consolation. As mentioned many of us are already in the program, so giving it to us again is not a consolation and all I can say it it's not what I thought it would be. Nav on autopilot 2 weeks early many months ago but that's it...not given a single early update since and I am Irked that I cant even get a response from Tesla.

So paid 11.5 K more...been lied to in an official email since they did not back up their offer of keeping Free SC and 5K which would have been fair...not just to me since they offered this...but to everybody who overpaid, and bought early secondary to free SC incentive. Furthermore Elon's offer of early access to those who plunked down thousands up front for full self driving does not take into account the 2000 or so of us who are already in the program that seems to be of little value anyways. If you think that you will receive updates early, you will be very disappointed. In fact if you even believe emails about it will be answered, you will be disappointed.

Not to mention that fictitious spoiler and badging that I paid for up front (back in the day it wasn't included for free) and have pretty much given up on.

This is exactly why I would never be an early adopter guinea pig. Prices are tumbling down at the moment, which is good news for those buying today and bad news for those who bought yesterday. I mean they've literally just slashed £40k+ off a Performance Model S/X in the UK, so how would that feel if you had just bought one last week? It's a harsh marketplace for sure! But I would prefer that to Tesla going down because it feels unable to react quick enough to the dynamics and politics of the auto industry. At the end of the day you agree to a contract price and you have no control over future pricing. It happens a lot in the tech industry. Early adopters usually pay way over the odds to be ahead of the game and this is no different.

Obviously the communication errors are a different issue to the cost reductions. That's just terrible customer service management.

I don't think the same thing will happen with the Model Y. Tesla didn't do this intentionally they just have never built a car at this production volumes. They couldn't offer the car at current prices without loosing tons money and jeopardizing the future of the company.

With the volume efficiencies that the have achieved they are able to offer the same product at lower cost. Even at full price the model 3 is a bargain compared to the ICE counterparts; think about the the gas and maintenance saving, environmental impact and the safety it provides for you and your family.

I am happy to have helped Tesla to get to this point where they can offer a great product at great pricing to the mass market.

Another thing that I would like to add is that our cars keep getting better with every software update for the same money that we originally paid. Who else is doing something like this in the car industry? My car is getting 5% percent increase is peak horse power and my 0-60 will drop from 3.3 to 3.2 for seconds with an update. Amazing.

This is exactly why I would never be an early adopter guinea pig. Prices are tumbling down at the moment, which is good news for those buying today and bad news for those who bought yesterday. I mean they've literally just slashed £40k+ off a Performance Model S/X in the UK, so how would that feel if you had just bought one last week? It's a harsh marketplace for sure! But I would prefer that to Tesla going down because it feels unable to react quick enough to the dynamics and politics of the auto industry. At the end of the day you agree to a contract price and you have no control over future pricing. It happens a lot in the tech industry. Early adopters usually pay way over the odds to be ahead of the game and this is no different.

Obviously the communication errors are a different issue to the cost reductions. That's just terrible customer service management.

Early Tesla adopters have never seen this...not with Tesla...early adopters have gotten headaches from defects that were later corrected, or had to tolerate hardware improvements that they could have had...but never have early adopters had to stomach inflated costs that corrected just a few months later. You are confusing Tesla with other car or tech companies

This is total garbage.

EAP program?

I would never have paid the price difference to join an EAP program.

I paid for FSD and NEVER got anything for it.

Now the price drops and literally nothing in return.

This is unbelievable if not bordering on illegal. We should be able to return something that we have never had to use - because of the seller.

Is this the treatment I waited in line for in the rain - never got anything promised by Elon ( line waiter nor diecast ) and now getting shafted on my FSD purchase. This isn't a defect in early adopter anything...this is a straight "shaft you very much".

Tesla slashes prices of Autopilot and Full Self-Driving upgrades

Where's my spoiler?

Last edited:
BMW is offering 4k in inventive in the X1 my brother just purchased for our mom. One dealer is offering 8.5k in total discounts

Price cuts happen, and when you're an early adopter of new technology it will happen faster.

O stop it.

There was no Early adopter in FSD because it hadn't been invented.

Tell me what I early adopted into...be specific....list anything about it.

I don't think the same thing will happen with the Model Y. Tesla didn't do this intentionally they just have never built a car at this production volumes. They couldn't offer the car at current prices without loosing tons money and jeopardizing the future of the company.

With the volume efficiencies that the have achieved they are able to offer the same product at lower cost. Even at full price the model 3 is a bargain compared to the ICE counterparts; think about the the gas and maintenance saving, environmental impact and the safety it provides for you and your family.

I am happy to have helped Tesla to get to this point where they can offer a great product at great pricing to the mass market.

Another thing that I would like to add is that our cars keep getting better with every software update for the same money that we originally paid. Who else is doing something like this in the car industry? My car is getting 5% percent increase is peak horse power and my 0-60 will drop from 3.3 to 3.2 for seconds with an update. Amazing.

Well dang....you sound just like I did before all this. Now imagine Tesla sending you a request for an 11k donation to help them get to mass market sooner. Would you do it?

Well dang....you sound just like I did before all this. Now imagine Tesla sending you a request for an 11k donation to help them get to mass market sooner. Would you do it?

I wouldn't.

Not one red cent to help anything anymore. They are shafting us and possibly having the audacity to ask for help later?...….
Over 9000 posts supporting and defending Tesla. Now...….?

My hand is on the stock sell button.

This is just NOT how to treat your customers and shareholders.

O stop it.

Agree...early adoption just means you are willing to tolerate some defects until they are fixed...to help Tesla. And you cant early adopt FSD. If I compared my car with FSD with another one that did not have it, there is no difference. It was just a loan to Tesla. I am happy about the computer upgrade, but did not know this when I paid the 3K. Besides, who is to say this even exist...I mean where the heck is the spoiler I paid for 9 months ago? If they cant deliver a low tech chunk of aluminum that I have already paid for, why should I expect them to deliver a complex computer this decade?

Agree...early adoption just means you are willing to tolerate some defects until they are fixed...to help Tesla. And you cant early adopt FSD. If I compared my car with FSD with another one that did not have it, there is no difference. It was just a loan to Tesla. I am happy about the computer upgrade, but did not know this when I paid the 3K. Besides, who is to say this even exist...I mean where the heck is the spoiler I paid for 9 months ago? If they cant deliver a low tech chunk of aluminum that I have already paid for, why should I expect them to deliver a complex computer this decade?

You aren't getting my point.

You can't use the Term "EARLY ADOPT" with FSD.

No one Early Adopted FSD. You can't Early Adopt something that does not exist.

Just because someone uses that term doesn't mean that you have to believe them.

A relationship with Tesla can alternate between love (infatuation) and resentment. Ebb and flow. Overall, I believe love wins out when one looks at the big picture (e.g. driving experience as compared to currently available alternatives, safety, aesthetics, US cross-country supercharger availability).

Love and resentment? What?

If you Love me....refund me. I mean "you" personally.

Lets see how much love exists around here.

O stop it.

Well, to be fair, what did YOU think you were getting when you bought the FSD upgrade and, more importantly, when did you think you were going to get it? Has any of that changed since you paid for FSD?

BMW is offering 4k in inventive in the X1 my brother just purchased for our mom. One dealer is offering 8.5k in total discounts

Price cuts happen, and when you're an early adopter of new technology it will happen faster.

Historically Tesla has never done this...no discounts, no haggling no immediate dramatic price reductions, no advertising. Early adoption was always seen as a service we were doing for them, and they were very thankful and gracious. They would bend over backwards to keep their early adopters happy, knowing we were taking a chance to help them

The problem here is they are slashing the price on a feature that is not yet delivered. We should be getting a refund for $3k. I am also in the EAP already and haven’t gotten any updates outside of the general rollouts.

Well, to be fair, what did YOU think you were getting when you bought the FSD upgrade and, more importantly, when did you think you were going to get it? Has any of that changed since you paid for FSD?

I thought I was getting what the name if it says for the price I paid for it. FULL SELF DRIVING. Nothing more and nothing less.

When? Whenever it comes out.

Yes it has changed.

I'm not getting it for the price I paid for it.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
Historically Tesla has never done this...no discounts, no haggling no immediate dramatic price reductions, no advertising. Early adoption was always seen as a service we were doing for them, and they were very thankful and gracious. They would bend over backwards to keep their early adopters happy, knowing we were taking a chance to help them

I agree.

But this isn't even "early adoption".

Everything else people early adopted for had some version of it available. NOTHING has been available for FSD.

Reactions: C141medic