Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diameter of of corded mobile charger cable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know the diameter of the charger that comes with the new car.

I am designing and 3d printing a through wall solution. My extra dryer plug is through the wall into the laundry room from the garage so I want the drill a 2.5" hole in the sheet rock on both sides and make a sleeve and flange that goes and hide my ugly cutting and then on the inside have a flip down cable holder that covers the hole, or maybe some king of rubber grommet, not sure yet.

Thanks.

As far as I know garage walls shared with house interior walls are by code required to be able to withstand so much time before being penetrated by fire and there are restrictions on cutouts there. Something my contractor told me years ago when we were remodeling our kitchen that had a shared wall. A pass-thru plug as I’m picturing it from your description would defeat this protection. Even if you didn’t care about the safety factor, if you needed yo sell your home it would be an issue. Ultimately think you are better off contacting an electrician and properly adding a circuit in your garage.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan and Rocky_H
As far as I know garage walls shared with house interior walls are by code required to be able to withstand so much time before being penetrated by fire and there are restrictions on cutouts there. Something my contractor told me years ago when we were remodeling our kitchen that had a shared wall. A pass-thru plug as I’m picturing it from your description would defeat this protection. Even if you didn’t care about the safety factor, if you needed yo sell your home it would be an issue. Ultimately think you are better off contacting an electrician and properly adding a circuit in your garage.
Totally agree. Making a hole from garage to house is a building code violation. This rule is designed to prevent toxic gases (like ICE exhaust) from infiltrating your house. Of course, if you don't have an ICE vehicle... In that case, however, you must redrywall and vapour-seal that hole if you ever sell or move.

Reactions: Rocky_H
With furnaces, hot water heaters, electrical panels frequently placed in the garage in many homes, the code is also there to protect against fires starting in the garage and spreading to the house with little notice. And with car chargers and 240v outlets for charging mounted in the garage we've already seen some installations where a problem occurred with the wiring inside the wall. Luckily we haven't seen a fire start in a TMC member's garage, but we've seen pictures of burnt wiring. Whether you have living quarters adjacent to the garage walls or above the garage, it's really a good policy and the wall shouldn't be breached. A hole like that will feed air through the wall and if there is a fire in the garage will feed the flames.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Everyone is ignoring what Davewill correctly pointed out. The diameter of the cord is irrelevant as the cord has a box on one end and the part that connects to the car on the other end. So the hole would have to be big enough to accommodate either of those things if the original poster intends to feed it through the wall. What OP is proposing won't work, regardless of codes etc.