Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging solution for Evannex CCI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone cares to reuse this: I have a 2015 Model S with the Evannex CCI. I love the Evannex except I really wish it had a wireless phone charging option - so I created one with the cables for the charging pad nicely hidden. Posting here in case anyone wants to re-use.

upload_2019-3-9_7-25-24.png

upload_2019-3-9_7-26-11.png

upload_2019-3-9_7-26-41.png

To create this:

- I bought this wireless charging pad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZZX37F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has a nice rubbery surface to put the phone on - the phone does not slide around when driving

- grommets for the cable of the charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZZX37F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Peel back the thin rubber liner at the bottom of the CCI storage cubby, then drill a pilot hole in the bottom of the CCI storage area and then expand with a 1inch hole saw (the above grommet is exactly 1 in in diameter), then use an Xacto knife to carefully cut a matching hole in the rubber liner and replace the liner

- I replaced the cupholder insert that you can buy from Evannex, with one that I 3d printed. It is longer (to span almost the entire length of the storage cubby) and also shorter (allowing clearance for both the charging pad and the phone to sit underneath the sliding door, you can then close the door if you like). Of course the idea is you'd close the door when not in use, to hide the pad, but then likely leave the door open when you put your phone on the pad.
I've attached the .STL file here. Note the insert is designed with the vertical "leg" pieces to be not quite a 90 degree angle so there is a bit of natural spring load holding it in place against the side of the storage cubby. It does not slide around. You still have access to the storage area underneath either through the round cupholder hole or by simply removing the insert (although the latter requires you to "swing" the wireless charging pad out of the way).
If I were to do it again I'd make the insert slightly longer. I made it intentionally shorter than the cubby opening to ensure I could get it in and out, but it could be a few mm longer for a cleaner look. I'd also create a slightly notch in one end for the charging pad cable.
I designed this for free on Tinkercad and 3d printed it for about $75 at Shapeways.

To install: run the charging pad cable from the 12v outlet, fish through the CCI (removing its cupholder helps) and through the grommet and hole you've created in the bottom of the cubby.

Lastly, if anyone really wanted to, someone could also 3d print a cupholder insert to fit in the hole - there are existing cupholder designs that just have to be shortened. I haven't done so yet.

Hope someone else finds this useful. And, Evannex - you could easily manufacturer this and offer as an option to the CCI!

Attachments

• Wireless charging insert for Evannex CCI.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 39