Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I screw myself here??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone,
I recently purchased a M3P and wanted to get the stock Uberturbines off of the car for some more sidewall hoping for a quieter ride and help with hitting potholes. After going back and forth for weeks on what wheel to choose I ended up ordering the Apex VS-5RS in 19 x 9.5 ET29. I was hoping to stay with 255's to avoid too much range loss but there don't seem to be many tire choices in that size. I do not like stretch so that's why I'm avoiding the 235 or 245 sized tires. I was hoping for an all around great tire(quiet, good range etc.), any thoughts/advice for me? Did I screw up getting this size wheel? Thank you!

Tons of people run 255/40/19 tires. Michelin PS4S is always a safe choice. I have that combination for daily driving on a 9.5-wide rim.
If you go 255/35/19, it'd look very stretched on a 9.5-wide rim, and you'd curb those nice wheels quickly.

@dsgerbc Thank you for the reply. One of my concerns with the PS4S tires is that I've read they get very loud after a few miles are on them and I'm really trying to avoid that. I've been looking at the Continental DSW06 and the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO 3 tires, do you have experience with either of those tires?
One another note; Please forgive my ignorance but if I go with some of the 255 tires the ratio is off by either -1.7 or +2.1, What type of effect will this have and can I compensate for it by adjusting it in the cars computer settings? Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

We've had DWS06 on our other car. I wouldn't call them quiet as they wear. I also never thought that PS4S were getting too loud as they wear.
No clue on Hankooks. I'm generally a bit fan of Michelin tires lately. Their offerings at similar grip levels to competitors typically last much longer.

I've had 255/35/19 and 255/50/19 sizes on my 3. Maybe the speed reading was off a bit on the display, but no other effects to note.
You may want to select the OEM tire/wheel combo setting in the menu that has the tire diameter the closest to the tire size you choose.

Reactions: 1SubSailor
I too am a fan of Michelin tires and have had a few sets over the years. Even though I'm in Central Texas I ruled out the Hankook's for now, I have to drive to the coast about every other week to help out my Mother(she's 86) and with some of the last few winters we've had here I'd rather not risk it with summer tires this go around though I'd like to try them later on.

I'm leaning towards the DWS06(265/35 R19), I guess because they're less expensive and figure I'd give them a try. Hopefully I can still have some coilovers installed without lowering it an inch or so having any issues with this size tire/wheel. I really do appreciate your help, thank you!