Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook iON EVO All season tires with controlled efficiency testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires on my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with T Sportline TS5 18x8.5 wheels last week.

I have done a very controlled efficiency test with the tires below. The test is a 25 mile loop around our beltway that starts and stops at the same place. I record GPS time, distance, and average speed so that the test is consistent no matter what wheels and tires I have on the car.

Wheels and tires tested:

1. 20x9.0 Uberturbine wheels with factory 235/35/20 Pirelli PZ4 Tesla specific tires.

IMG_4295.jpeg

2. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires.

IMG_4297.jpeg

3. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 245/40/18(undersized diameter) Pirelli PZ4 tires.

IMG_4302.jpeg

4. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with brand new(<100 mile) 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires.

IMG_4303.jpeg

The 245/40/18 Pirelli PZ4 tires were about 1/3” undersized on the tire outer diameter so the wh/mi reading is optimistic for that tire. The car thinks it went about 3-4% further than it actually did. 220 wh/mi is a more realistic number for that tire instead of the 212 wh/mi that the trip computer said.

As you can see the Hankook tires are about 18% more efficient than the original Uberturbine wheels and PZ4 tires.

The Hankook tires were about 8%-10% more efficient than either of the 18” summer tires even though they were all on the same wheels.

I am thoroughly convinced that the efficiency claims of these new Hankook iON EVO tires are accurate. They are incredibly efficient.

These Hankook tires have a 50k mile guarantee and they have a 600 Treadwear rating on the tires.

IMG_4050.jpeg

I pumped the tires up to 42 psi as recommended and I noticed that the tire pressure didn’t change that much from that value even after extensive driving. In fact it even went down slightly in the rear tires after a drive. That is really good that it maintains a consistent pressure throughout the drive. All of the other tires would get up to as much as 46 psi after a similar drive.

IMG_4268.jpeg
IMG_4291.jpeg

I did a 220+ mile drive each way this weekend with the new Hankook tires. Going out there was a torrential rain storm for about 165 miles. This wasn’t normal rain. It was more like flooding on the interstate. I could feel the standing water causing drag on the car.

I averaged 280 wh/mi going out until I stopped to charge. However, it stopped raining and cleared up while I was charging. I averaged 226 wh/mi for the next 55 miles but that was at a slower speed going up the mountain.

Standing water on the road absolutely destroys your efficiency no matter what wheels and tires you have on the car.

Coming back home I averaged 207 wh/mi in my 2022 Model 3 Performance for 220+ miles. I had the A/C on 66 degrees F the whole time and I averaged 61.2 mph according to the GPS app.

I also was able to do 142 wh/mi for my 12 mile highway commute into work. That is at a much slower speed(~51 mph average) because of construction.

I haven’t been able to measure a difference in noise with my SPL meter. The Hankooks and the 245/40/18 Pirelli tires were measuring the same DB value. They definitely aren’t any louder but I really couldn’t tell the difference in sound. They both sound quiet to me.

I paid $1077 for the tires installed at discount tire. They price matched some random online retailer for $224 per tire.

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    995.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Reactions: DrChaos
Biggest impact on range.
High treadwear = less traction more solid rubber, less friction.
High mileage tire 50k or higher reduces range due to heavier (extra rubber for your mileage life)
Get 45k or less tire (weighs less), change tires more often. Cheaper tires ok.
If possible get 7.5 inch rims not 8.5 inch rims.
Temperature also plays a huge role, while the distancing was controlled, temperature cannot be controlled. Battery pack temperature is a big factor, whether outside temp or you just finished charging will give you drastically different whr/mi no matter what tires you have.

Z rated tires = life suck in range, but excellent handling. Pick your battles.

• Disagree
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Biggest impact on range.
High mileage tire 50k or higher reduces range due to heavier (extra rubber for your mileage life)
Temperature also plays a huge role, while the distancing was controlled, temperature cannot be controlled. Battery pack temperature is a big factor, whether outside temp or you just finished charging will give you drastically different whr/mi no matter what tires you have.

I controlled for temperature outside and in the battery. It was the exact same temperature two nights in a row and I precondition and monitor battery temps before the tests.

I made sure tire pressure, battery SOC, and all temperatures were the same.

I even reset the wheels and tires in the “Service” menu option right after I put on the Hankook tires. Then I drove the car around to make sure it reconfigured to the new tires.

I also went back and retested the new Hankook tires again last night with the same speed to see if the results had changed over the week that I had them.

I got the exact same 202 wh/mi this time as well.

The tests are extremely controlled and I make sure everything is the same.

I controlled for temperature outside and in the battery. It was the exact same temperature two nights in a row and I precondition and monitor battery temps before the tests.

I made sure tire pressure, battery SOC, and all temperatures were the same.

I even reset the wheels and tires in the “Service” menu option right after I put on the Hankook tires. Then I drove the car around to make sure it reconfigured to the new tires.

I also went back and retested the new Hankook tires again last night with the same speed to see if the results had changed over the week that I had them.

I got the exact same 202 wh/mi this time as well.

The tests are extremely controlled and I make sure everything is the same.

So are we saying these tires are about as good as the oem MXM4's? They are cheaper and have a longer life rating so I'd say that's a win.

I get 202 wh/mi with the stock Michelin mxm4 tires. Mostly high speed highway but some stop and go traffic because I'm in NY and NJ area. I also have aeros on.

PXL_20231026_183102644.jpg

• Disagree
So are we saying these tires are about as good as the oem MXM4's? They are cheaper and have a longer life rating so I'd say that's a win.

I get 202 wh/mi with the stock Michelin mxm4 tires. Mostly high speed highway but some stop and go traffic because I'm in NY and NJ area. I also have aeros on.

View attachment 986125
No, these tires are said to have a rolling resistance coefficient of .005. That is the equivalent of the new e.Primacy tires on the new 18” Highland Model 3 cars.

I did 202 wh/mi with a GPS measured 60 mph average. I also did a test with a GPS measured 65.5 mph average and it was 219 wh/mi.

You aren’t going to match these numbers with the MXM4 tires. The newest tires have significantly better rolling resistance. The manufacturer’s claim is about 6% better than previous generation tires.

You were averaging 39 mph according to your own picture. At 50 mph I average 142 wh/mi.

IMG_4567.png

IMG_4566.jpeg

IMG_4565.png
IMG_4564.jpeg

Last edited:
Biggest impact on range.

High mileage rating (durability) tire has two things: (1) less sticky compound---less grip, more durability, (2) higher tread blocks.

(2) means more rolling resistance as higher tread blocks deform more when the tire is new. The weight isn't the central issue.

Generally why performance tires wear out faster and have worse efficiency. High mileage tires also have worse efficiency. High efficiency EV tires will have moderate performance and moderate durability. Hankook ION with 50K prorated miles is a fantastic deal then.

The weight isnt the issue, and short mileage warranty tires or no warranty mileage tires are most often summer performance tires with bad efficiency. So low mileage warranty is not a good indication of low rolling resistance. Low rolling resistance is.

Cheaper tires are less able to advance in the iron triangle of grip, longevity and rolling resistance among all axes at once. Expensive tires use the most modern technology, because it comes from the R&D of the premier manufacturers, and now Hankook has joined them with the ION it appears.

Over years/decades it filters down to cheap tires, so that cheap tires might equal top tires of 20-40 years ago.

true.
generally true.

Reactions: XPsionic
No, these tires are said to have a rolling resistance coefficient of .005. That is the equivalent of the new e.Primacy tires on the new 18” Highland Model 3 cars.

I did 202 wh/mi with a GPS measured 60 mph average. I also did a test with a GPS measured 65.5 mph average and it was 219 wh/mi.

You aren’t going to match these numbers with the MXM4 tires. The newest tires have significantly better rolling resistance. The manufacturer’s claim is about 6% better than previous generation tires.

You were averaging 39 mph according to your own picture. At 50 mph I average 142 wh/mi.

View attachment 986135
View attachment 986136

View attachment 986133View attachment 986134

This is out of context. It only seems like I was going 39mph because when going through NYC you sit in traffic waiting to go over the bridges. When moving I am traveling at highway speeds. When in traffic I am traveling at 5mph or 0mph. I drove from NJ to Eastern Long Island.

I wrote to the Discount Tire rep that occasionally posts here and pointed out that it was missing from TireRack a week ago. :)

link works for me still. Maybe a temporary glitch.
That’s weird! Doesn’t work for me nor can I find them on their site while searching under Hankook. Looking for 18” which I think was the link. Will use the Walmart ad and ask Discount Tire to match. I also like that Tire Rack (owned by Discount, right?) also gives freebies that Discount doesn’t. I don’t understand that because they are the same company.

Just for anyone wondering, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s are very much not efficient. At 28k miles, the mxm4s were done on LR model 3's 18s. I was extremely disappointed with their tread life. I wanted to try a sportier tire so I got the pilots. Yes, they are sportier, but I am truly getting 20% worse efficiency. I am now 10k miles into these tires wishing I had these ions. At 70 mph, I get 290wh/mile, which compared to the numbers people are posting here is quite awful. On the mxm4s I would be getting about 240-250wh/mile. I am having severe buyers remorse. Hey though, they handle like they are on rails and they got me to finally buy acceleration boost (worth it btw if you have 2k to blow and wishing you got a performance :)