Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did preconditioning take place or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can you tell if preconditioning happened or not? I have researched that one of the ways to add to the longevity of the battery is to precondition it, so I like to schedule that for most departures. Is there anyway, when you get in the car, to see that preconditioning has just been accomplished?

Pre conditioning doesnt add life to the battery. Pre conditioning can possibly add some range to the first leg of your trip, since you are leaving with a warm battery, and pre conditioning can make supercharging go faster. Pre conditioning does not add to battery longevity (how long it lasts) though, at least in the way most people are talking about that.

Unless you are driving most of your range out daily, or dont have home charging and are trying to cut down on time at a supercharger, there isnt any other need to worry about pre conditioning.

The car will pre condition if the navigated location is a supercharger. Other than that, it will only do so if it thinks it needs to. If its pre conditioning, it will say so on screen. If it doesnt say its pre conditioning, it isnt, and there isnt any reason for it to be doing so all the time anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: SkyDog
Pre conditioning doesnt add life to the battery. Pre conditioning can possibly add some range to the first leg of your trip, since you are leaving with a warm battery, and pre conditioning can make supercharging go faster. Pre conditioning does not add to battery longevity (how long it lasts) though, at least in the way most people are talking about that.

Unless you are driving most of your range out daily, or dont have home charging and are trying to cut down on time at a supercharger, there isnt any other need to worry about pre conditioning.

The car will pre condition if the navigated location is a supercharger. Other than that, it will only do so if it thinks it needs to. If its pre conditioning, it will say so on screen. If it doesnt say its pre conditioning, it isnt, and there isnt any reason for it to be doing so all the time anyway.
Thanks for the info, but my quest is to see whether or not preconditioning has taken place. Is there any indication anywhere that the battery has been warmed up?

Thanks for the info, but my quest is to see whether or not preconditioning has taken place. Is there any indication anywhere that the battery has been warmed up?

You said in your first post that:

I have researched that one of the ways to add to the longevity of the battery is to precondition it,

Which is not a correct assumption, which is why I answered the way I did. In any case, the answer to your question is "No, there is no way to see if the battery has pre conditioned in a model 3 or Y using the regular interface, or the Tesla application". It may or may not show in service mode, I dont know, and you may be able to use a third party tool like scan my tesla or some such to see, but if you are trying to precondition to add longevity to the battery, all that does is add extra charge cycles to it.

If you get good regen on a cold day, it probably did precondition. And if your electricity provider shows the consumption by the hour, you could check whether or not you used more electricity in the hour before departure. If the car was charging at the same time you won't be able to tell, though

I'm not sure I understand the idea behind your question. Do you have any indication that the car isn't preconditining or are you unsure whether or not you set it up correctly?

There is no way to tell unless you check the temperature of the battery.

The climate preconditioning does not necessarily precondition the battery. The car will choose whether it needs to or not. It will attempt to try to warm the battery if needed to provide better power and regen in very cold weather. But climate will get to temp much faster than the battery will so unless you let it sit and precondition for hours, it doesn’t make a huge difference.

This is also much different than supercharger preconditioning as that gets the battery to a much higher temperature.

Long story short, don’t worry about it because it’s not something you can control anyways.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Possibly the missing element in answering gyrobob's question is that, in asking questions, many of us are trying to learn about a system we know little about. Electricity in my case.) So we are trying to piece together language and info (sometimes incorrect) to build our EV knowledge base. I thank those who patiently try to bring us along! Joyce

How can you tell if preconditioning happened or not? I have researched that one of the ways to add to the longevity of the battery is to precondition it, so I like to schedule that for most departures. Is there anyway, when you get in the car, to see that preconditioning has just been accomplished?
I believe if you turn on climate from the app to warm the cabin before leaving, there's an icon that shows the battery being warmed (if needed) iirc. Helps in cold weather, I think the car's operating system decides on what to do.

You can also use the energy screen - that may show that as well (it will when driving, not sure if you're stopped)