Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla’s Sale Alienate Everyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be disappointed if the price was drastically lower after my purchase, not in the car or company, just that I missed a better deal. That happens to me occasionally. If I buy something at Costco and they have it on sale the next week I don't stop shopping at Costco or badmouth the brand.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I would be disappointed if the price was drastically lower after my purchase, not in the car or company, just that I missed a better deal. That happens to me occasionally. If I buy something at Costco and they have it on sale the next week I don't stop shopping at Costco or badmouth the brand.

Our 3 LR RWD was $55k last year ($61k after taxes and fees) but got $7500 fed credit. I knew after seeing all the price drops it was depressing thinking about how much value our cars had lost. Time is money, even if your making 100k a year or 600k a year. You think about other cool things or time off work you could have taken which is a natural response but not healthy in the long run. Stuff gets cheaper and that's life and better for all over time.

Fast forward to recent. Got to score huge deals in the family. New blue on white P3D with autopilot and 9 miles (brand new non demo inventory) on it for $57,300 ($65k sticker). It was a $7300 discount to move the car out end of the quarter. Many were priced like this. And new P100D with EAP for $77k. I'm happy again for the perception of "scoring a deal." Wouldn't be surprised if the Model S becomes a $50k car in 2020 and fights the 5 series/A6/E class. And if the 3 continues to drop to maybe under $50k for a M3P next year. Tesla has made desirable vehicles and value keeps getting better and better.

How would you feel if in 29 days the same config cost $62K?

My car went down from 78K to 66K in a few short months and of course, this did not make me happy, I try not to think about that. On the other hand, this car was purchased as a luxury item, and it has brought with it plenty of joy and sheer fun. That difference in cost would have easily bought our family an out of town two-week vacation all expenses paid trip. I think we all knew in the back of our minds that the Model 3 price would be reduced, but it came as somewhat of a surprise. In hindsight, I would have waited a few months to purchase our model 3 and would have waited to buy our model X for the model Y. We ended up selling the Model X to a friend who expressed an interest in buying it. I think I gave them a much better delivery experience! ;)

Reactions: Tron 3
How would you feel if in 29 days the same config cost $62K?

Who cares?
You bought a vehicle at a particular time for a particular price.
Someone else bought theirs at a particular time for a particular price.

Those times and prices may or may not be the same.

One has - quite literally - nothing to do with the other. Those transactions are not interconnected in any way, shape, or form.

If you're upset because someone paid less than you did, well, welcome to capitalism.

Who cares?
You bought a vehicle at a particular time for a particular price.
Someone else bought theirs at a particular time for a particular price.

Those times and prices may or may not be the same.

One has - quite literally - nothing to do with the other. Those transactions are not interconnected in any way, shape, or form.

If you're upset because someone paid less than you did, well, welcome to capitalism.

I’m not upset, I was just asking that poster a question. I paid cash for a depreciable asset.

That said, I bought a car that was white hot and from a brand that historically has held its value, I did calculate that into my purchase decision. Unfortunately, those factors backfired.

It’s against the law to post something like Tesla did on their website (see attached screenshot) and not state the offer is conditional. Tesla has since scrubbed this from Tesla.com. I saw the $2K FSD pricing in my owner’s portal, went back in the next morning and it rose 250% to $5K. I wouldn’t have minded if Tesla had told owners they had temporarily lowered the pricing of FSD and that it would be going up considerably in the future. Instead they held a secret blog sale that was contingent on the whimsical tweets from our dear leader. If Tesla had stated their offer honestly, I would have known the night I saw the pricing that I needed to jump at it or lose it. Tesla never gave me the information I needed as a consumer to make an informed decision. This isn’t about entitlement. It’s about truth in advertising and consumer law. Yes, Elon tweeted. Too bad for consumers though who don’t have time to religiously comb through Elon’s latest decrees on social media to stay current with what Elon is changing in the moment. Instead, some consumers actually depend on the company’s official website and messaging to announce what is going on. I can no longer afford FSD with the price increase (it was a large factor in my original purchasing decision since I have a family member who is a young adult but will never be able to drive) and I can’t sell my car because its value has plummeted with Tesla’s price cuts. These decisions are causing true economic harm to supporters of this company. Thanks to all the people who support Tesla doing stuff like this.

Attachments

• 6CC01BA7-8D93-46C7-AE6E-81772275C4F8.jpeg
    6CC01BA7-8D93-46C7-AE6E-81772275C4F8.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 52
I could see paying more for FSD if I only had basic AP, but since I paid five grand for EAP already, I don’t think I would ever spring for the higher FSD option. Besides, EAP seems to do just about everything I want at this time, except Nav on autopilot because the auto lane change criteria has not yet been perfected.

It alienated me terrible!!! I was and still am furious!!! I will never buy an ICE Car again..... oh wait.... Maybe I am not that mad after all and love my Tesla more than any other car I have even owned or driven...

It’s against the law to post something like Tesla did on their website (see attached screenshot) and not state the offer is conditional. Tesla has since scrubbed this from Tesla.com. I saw the $2K FSD pricing in my owner’s portal, went back in the next morning and it rose 250% to $5K. I wouldn’t have minded if Tesla had told owners they had temporarily lowered the pricing of FSD and that it would be going up considerably in the future. Instead they held a secret blog sale that was contingent on the whimsical tweets from our dear leader. If Tesla had stated their offer honestly, I would have known the night I saw the pricing that I needed to jump at it or lose it. Tesla never gave me the information I needed as a consumer to make an informed decision. This isn’t about entitlement. It’s about truth in advertising and consumer law. Yes, Elon tweeted. Too bad for consumers though who don’t have time to religiously comb through Elon’s latest decrees on social media to stay current with what Elon is changing in the moment. Instead, some consumers actually depend on the company’s official website and messaging to announce what is going on. I can no longer afford FSD with the price increase (it was a large factor in my original purchasing decision since I have a family member who is a young adult but will never be able to drive) and I can’t sell my car because its value has plummeted with Tesla’s price cuts. These decisions are causing true economic harm to supporters of this company. Thanks to all the people who support Tesla doing stuff like this.

You make a bold statement Peoria. What law was broken? Name it.