Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Improve Trunk Struts? (Easy to close now...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed with my new Model 3 that the trunk is actually MUCH easier to close when compared to my previous Model 3 and also the many I've seen in showrooms....its a very noticeable difference....I can definitely close it with one hand using the inner handles/grips....

I recently got a Model 3 with a VIN 121,XXX and manufactured mid October 2018. I got a Model 3 back at the end of June with VIN 52,XXX and I definitely noticed the trunk being very stiff/hard to close as most everyone here. Tesla bought that car back due to many paint problems, and I reordered an AWD and finally got a new Model 3 last week.

Anyone else notice the difference? Could Tesla have fixed this and not said anything?

Tesla bought that car back due to many paint problems, and I reordered an AWD and finally got a new Model 3 last week.

Aug build here that is hard to close as well. Is there a part # on your struts you could share?

BTW, as someone that may have to have a car replaced due to defects and service center shenanigans, can I ask how that process went for you?

Did you continue to drive the car until the new one was ready for pick up? Did you get what you had into the car back from Tesla? Including registration and taxes and stuff? Did you get any concessions on the new purchase for the headache? Anything else to be mindful of?

My service center is trying hard to not replace the car, stating that it will take months, is a big hassle, and will cost me money. Trying to see what others actual experiences have been.

I have September build and didn't notice any problems closing the trunk as far as force required. I bring it halfway down with the inner hand grip and then shut the rest of the way by pushing on license tag so I don't get smudges on the paint.