Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla really lay off their entire Supercharger staff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think there will be a new, albeit much smaller team in place in the next 4 weeks. The supercharger roll out will continue…at a reduced more cost controlled and efficient rate.

When anyone in our squadron got to feeling they were indispensable our sgt major use to tell us to stick our hand in a bucket of water, then pull it out real fast. The size of the whole left behind was indicative of our indispensability. Always a humbling experience. 😂
Agreed.....this is not the first (nor the last) company to lay off an entire department

I think I’m done with Tesla. It was hard enough swallowing that my car brand is associated with a lunatic. Now this.

How do you ramp slower with zero staff?

I can see a drastic cut to keep the lights on? But 100%

So sad. Tesla was a shinning light for what can happen in America.

people thought the depreciation on our cars was bad before because of price drops. Watch what happens over the next few months.
Yes, that is pretty much how I feel about Elon Musk and Tesla right now. The supercharger network was that one thing that they did better than anyone else out there and those people were rewarded with unemployment. Does not bode well for the future of Tesla.

I would think there will be a new, albeit much smaller team in place in the next 4 weeks. The supercharger roll out will continue…at a reduced more cost controlled and efficient rate.

When anyone in our squadron got to feeling they were indispensable our sgt major use to tell us to stick our hand in a bucket of water, then pull it out real fast. The size of the whole left behind was indicative of our indispensability. Always a humbling experience. 😂
If Tesla needs to reduce costs they should get rid of that ONE guy who wants a 50 billion dollar pay day.

Surely you're not trying to play(?) dumb now as a means of trying to weasel out of this one. It's literally your own words and your own posts.

Yesterday, this person said about the $35k Model 3 in response to your claims that it was never available:

To which, you replied:

The only logical conclusion anyone reading this series of posts would conclude is that you said "me too" to the person you quoted saying they almost bought a $35k Model 3. Unless they have the exact same profile as you, I'm not quoting another user.

You lost me when you started attacking him personally for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist. That hearsay nonsense has no place in a logical intelligent conversation about a car manufacturer & layoffs. You can take your politically charged personal smear campaign agenda elsewhere.
*Sigh* By "Me too" I meant I too had bought a LR with AP, not that I considered buying the $35K model.

Also, if you are using the legal definition of hearsay, i.e., that legal testimony by a witness about another person's statements is not admissible in court, you would be correct in using that word to describe what I said about Musk. However, this is not a courtroom, thus I am using the non-legal definition of the word in the dictionary:

hearsay
noun

information that you have heard but do not know to be true:

Other definitions include:

information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

things that you have heard from another person but do not (definitely) know to be true

Since Musk posted his views on Twitter, they are "adequately substantiated". The evidence of my stated interpretation of Musk's character are entirely backed up by his public statements on Twitter. You are, of course, free to disregard what you will.

No, his words aren't up for debate. That's the whole point. It's what he said and is now claiming he didn't say that's in question. Thanks for making my point even if you didn't mean to.

White knight, huh? Your ad hominem attacks are tiring and unnecessary.
Calling you a "white knight", even ironically, is NOT an ad hominem attack.

I don't think that it means what you think it means. Let me help with that:

ad ho·mi·nem
/ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"

You literally referred to me as a white knight w/o addressing the position you seem to think I'm taking. You're attacking me personally by using a pejorative term (white knight) to label & discredit me rather than addressing the position which (apparently) is that I'm "constantly defending Musk". Troll activity 101.
Your posts here are evidence of defending Musk, it figuratively describes what you are doing. As for your argument, that has also been rebutted, we are now just discussing the motives for your argument.

You may think that Elon is flawed, but that is without knowing him, and mostly making up your judgement from articles attacking him and putting him in a bad light. Show me anyone in the World that has done more...better.
Elon follows his principals. Outsiders rarely know accurately, his reasons for doing what he does. Many want to take him down a notch, so publish hateful articles, to weaken him.
I judge Elon on his own words that he chose to post to his own personal website he paid $44 billion for. The fact that the media reported on his own posts is kind of irrelevant to the point. When people tell you who they are, believe them.

And Elon Musk is his own worst enemy.

Agreed. As a new Tesla owner, I find the supercharger system really useful and simple to use. It gives me warm fuzzies about the company, to counter all the mediocre to awful stuff.

I'm struck by the fact that the MY seems fine in fit and finish, and feels solid, and functions well in an ordinary car sense. So, in my view, Tesla has managed to get its act together as a car company.

All the rest, however, is far too much like a 6th grade science fair project. The auto wipers don't work and the ergonomics of selecting a speed from a touch screen is idiotic.

FSD(Not) does not work safely, and reviewers who have used it and Ford's Blue Cruise find the latter much better. TACC, which other car companies have figured out, is not reliable, braking for no apparent reason, and often driving like a teenager.

Mercedes has the first Level 3 car on the market, so Tesla is behind in developing functioning software. Waymo is years ahead of Tesla in the robo taxi market.

So wouldn't it make sense to focus on the things that Tesla does well: building solid useful electric cars and the infrastructure that supports them?
Because Elmo has lost his mind and thinks Tesla is an AI company.

Because Elmo has lost his mind and thinks Tesla is an AI company.
More like a whole bunch of people lost their minds since "Elmo" said things they don't agree with, now we have to pretend those are the worst possible things - even if you can't hear it when you read it, trust us, dogs can. Everyone must conform, we'll make an example of "Elmo" to show you why.

It's $20-$30 stock if it's just a car company, and probably going out of business like most car companies when the the sales curve falls away from the capex curve in a very capex heavy business.

Anyway, does someone have actual news about the supercharging situation like I asked above?

You lost me when you started attacking him personally for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist. That hearsay nonsense has no place in a logical intelligent conversation about a car manufacturer & layoffs. You can take your politically charged personal smear campaign agenda elsewhere.
Interesting. I thought it was just getting real when KelvinMace wrote: "His pushing of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, his amplifying of racist bigots on a media platform he was so obsessed with that he bought for about three-four times what it was worth, and his courting of politicians who are destroying the mission of EV/green energy transition is, to put it mildly, not rational behavior at all. He has now become the enemy of what he espoused."

Although there are 90 CEOs of the Fortune 100 companies that the vast majority of people cannot name, there are a few who stand out, because they make a point of standing out. Musk is one of those. If Musk were to fulfill the fiduciary responsibility of a CEO to act in the best interests of the company, he would have to be far more taciturn regarding his egregious and offensive political views. However, he appears to be too unhinged and narcissistic to act as a mature, caring, thoughtful CEO.

A "logical intelligent conversation about a car manufacturer" necessarily will, at the time of large layoffs, put the spotlight on the CEO. Is he or she perceived as cruel, or shortsighted, or foolish? If so, the company value and future prospects can be affected.

As you are no doubt aware, Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer and an inspiration to Nazis. That means that Jewish people around the world were less likely to by Ford products. Can you see that connection? Then perhaps you can see that Musk's personal life can affect the Tesla corporation in adverse ways. There are certainly other CEOs who are antisemitic and racist, but they are not so wildly narcissistic to broadcast their views so strongly to the world as Musk does. Do so, and you can expect to get kicked out as CEO.

The publicized views of any CEO will affect sales in obvious ways, but will also affect who wants to work for the company, who wants to lend money to the company, who wants to buy the stock, etc, etc. When a CEO says "DEI must DIE", that makes many people less likely to want to work at the CEO's company.

When you wrote, "You lost me when you started attacking him personally for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist," were you thinking that it is not nice to criticize any person for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist? To me, attacking a person for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist seems like a good thing.

Although your ideas may seem odd to me, I am not going to suggest that you take them elsewhere. You have livened up the discussion here.

More like a whole bunch of people lost their minds since "Elmo" said things they don't agree with, now we have to pretend those are the worst possible things - even if you can't hear it when you read it, trust us, dogs can. Everyone must conform, we'll make an example of "Elmo" to show you why.

It's $20-$30 stock if it's just a car company, and probably going out of business like most car companies when the the sales curve falls away from the capex curve in a very capex heavy business.

Anyway, does someone have actual news about the supercharging situation like I asked above?
Elon has rather made an example of himself. He criticizes others
Interesting. I thought it was just getting real when KelvinMace wrote: "His pushing of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, his amplifying of racist bigots on a media platform he was so obsessed with that he bought for about three-four times what it was worth, and his courting of politicians who are destroying the mission of EV/green energy transition is, to put it mildly, not rational behavior at all. He has now become the enemy of what he espoused."

Although there are 90 CEOs of the Fortune 100 companies that the vast majority of people cannot name, there are a few who stand out, because they make a point of standing out. Musk is one of those. If Musk were to fulfill the fiduciary responsibility of a CEO to act in the best interests of the company, he would have to be far more taciturn regarding his egregious and offensive political views. However, he appears to be too unhinged and narcissistic to act as a mature, caring, thoughtful CEO.

A "logical intelligent conversation about a car manufacturer" necessarily will, at the time of large layoffs, put the spotlight on the CEO. Is he or she perceived as cruel, or shortsighted, or foolish? If so, the company value and future prospects can be affected.

As you are no doubt aware, Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer and an inspiration to Nazis. That means that Jewish people around the world were less likely to by Ford products. Can you see that connection? Then perhaps you can see that Musk's personal life can affect the Tesla corporation in adverse ways. There are certainly other CEOs who are antisemitic and racist, but they are not so wildly narcissistic to broadcast their views so strongly to the world as Musk does. Do so, and you can expect to get kicked out as CEO.

The publicized views of any CEO will affect sales in obvious ways, but will also affect who wants to work for the company, who wants to lend money to the company, who wants to buy the stock, etc, etc. When a CEO says "DEI must DIE", that makes many people less likely to want to work at the CEO's company.

When you wrote, "You lost me when you started attacking him personally for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist," were you thinking that it is not nice to criticize any person for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist? To me, attacking a person for being antisemitic and a bigoted racist seems like a good thing.

Although your ideas may seem odd to me, I am not going to suggest that you take them elsewhere. You have livened up the discussion here.
Yes, I kind love how they defend Musk against "personal" and "hearsay" attacks for his publicly expressed views. The comparison to Henry Ford is DEAD on the money. As has been said many times, when people tell you who they are, believe them.

The more I think about Musk's firing the whole SC department, the more troubling it becomes. First, it smacks of petty, short-sighted, impulsive vindictiveness. Second, it literally now creates FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) in the EV community as a whole, given Tesla's vanguard role in advocating for EVs for the last 15+ years. Third, it betrays the mission and damages the message of EV advocacy, since it is literally self-inflicted. The FUD is now coming from inside the house. Fourth, while J3400/NACs was an open standard Tesla was not going to profit from with license fees, Tesla was highly influential on the standard and its implementation/interpretation. That influence is now GONE! Fifth, firing the entire department just threw out decades of institutional knowledge and memory. The people who were critical in the design and execution of the charger design, and the people who researched locations and negotiated with local, state, and federal officials are all now GONE! The people working with other automakers to coordinate the future use of the SC network are now GONE!

Elon has just handed fossil fuel companies and Tesla's competitors major ammunition to attack not just Tesla, but EV and green energy going forward.

Seems unlikely. Perhaps some group of people who are desperate for work and willing feel like scabs... but a team, a doubt it. Tesla does not appear to be a "team" sort of company.
These jobs are more than just space holders for warm bodies, and anyone brought in will require months, if not years to get up to the level of expertise held by all the people just fired.

Yeah, I think we're done here. Good luck with all of the constructive investigative journalism going on here. I'm sure y'all will get to the bottom of this mystery in no time what with the collection of thinkers you've assembled here.
We are not depending on journalists to prove Musk's bigotry, we have his own words. But somehow you seem to view Musk's own stated beliefs as irrelevant to people's judgement of his actions. The comparison to Henry Ford's anti-Semitism is appropriate, factually and historically. Are you now going to claim the evidence against Ford is a personal, hearsay attack?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
These jobs are more than just space holders for warm bodies, and anyone brought in will require months, if not years to get up to the level of expertise held by all the people just fired.
I’m pretty sure the idea is not to have the new team do the job the same way as the old team…which was obviously not doing the job the way management wanted it done.

Change is good.

When companies get rid of whole departments, divisions or layers of management…it’s either to look more appealing to Wall Street, boost the boss’s performance dividend or more likely to fend off an existential crisis.
Elon has been through this situation before with Tesla…maybe he can accurately read the writing on the wall.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H