Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla upgrade my car from dual motor awd to performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what he said, or something to that effect about using only the best motors. I've also got a P that lists only Long Range AWD on the Monroney sticker. So, I guess one of these things explains it:
1. They have a way to identify which AWD's have the motors capable of supporting P and can be software upgraded
2. They figured out that all AWD motors can support P
3. We've been had

OP, if donating to Tesla by putting EAP on your own car isn't enough for you, then you may donate again by adding EAP to my car.:eek: I will permit it, for the good of Tesla.

How is #3 remotely in the cards?

You got the performance you paid for in either case? AWD or P-?

Reactions: neroden
I wonder if they have any AWD that they’ve sold as RWD to meet quarter end numbers. And then “surprise” you actually have an extra motor that we’ve disabled with software. We can unlock it for you for $6K.

That is unlikely in the extreme. For one thing, even if the motor isn't working it's part of the car and there are service impacts after warranty ends. Additionally it gets worse economy than the RWD version.

So, no.

Reactions: neroden
How is #3 remotely in the cards?

You got the performance you paid for in either case? AWD or P-?
I said that somewhat jokingly (meaning the special motors for P). But I was under the impression that you had to order P upfront due to the ‘different motors’. Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally glad I ordered it and love it. I just hope they don’t offer P later to anyone with AWD for a discounted price. I could see them later opening up P for say $5k or something. But hey, it is what it is and if they open it later for less than we paid, so be it. They’ve raised prices already on some stuff I paid less for, so no big deal.

That’s all, but it would be nice to know if there are actually differences in the motors for P, as was purported. Guess it doesn’t matter since it’s under warranty anyway.

I just hope they don’t offer P later to anyone with AWD for a discounted price. I could see them later opening up P for say $5k or something. But hey, it is what it is and if they open it later for less than we paid, so be it. They’ve raised prices already on some stuff I paid less for, so no big deal.

I'd be quiet upset if they opened it up for less than what we paid upfront but they did do that to some battery unlockers (Model S 40-60 come to mind) in the past. It should at least be more than what we paid upfront (like EAP/FSD)

Does anyone think sort of thing may effect resale value in the future? Personally, if I was buying a P3D used, and I saw the sticker said nothing of Performance, id be a little concerned. I certainly wouldn't be paying full price for something that wasnt originally configured that way. I know alot of people wouldn't mind, but that's just me.