Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla upgrade my car from dual motor awd to performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just recently bought a Tesla P3D and just found the window sticker in the back and it’s configured for a regular dual motor awd. The price and everything matches up to that type of car. I even checked to make sure the Vins match and sure enough they do. I suppose it’s possible the sheet is wrong, but maybe they just loaded performance software and voila, 9k more. Any thoughts?

It makes me wonder because this car was pulled from stock inventory and not a special order.

May be some one with P3D can post their window sticker excluding VIN to compare. how about flooring the accelerator. are you getting the 3.3 sec 0-60 ? that should confirm as there is definitely a big difference that you can feel between the two to confirm you indeed got P3D.

i just recently bought a Tesla P3D and just found the window sticker in the back and it’s configured for a regular dual motor awd. The price and everything matches up to that type of car. I even checked to make sure the Vins match and sure enough they do. I suppose it’s possible the sheet is wrong, but maybe they just loaded performance software and voila, 9k more. Any thoughts?

It makes me wonder because this car was pulled from stock inventory and not a special order.

Take a look through the following thread:

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

I recall there being something about using the top tier motors that have been spun in longer? That’s what was originally promised and tweeted by Musk himself.
That's what he said, or something to that effect about using only the best motors. I've also got a P that lists only Long Range AWD on the Monroney sticker. So, I guess one of these things explains it:
1. They have a way to identify which AWD's have the motors capable of supporting P and can be software upgraded
2. They figured out that all AWD motors can support P
3. We've been had

• Helpful
Reactions: S5S5G6
I’m sure it is both 1 and 2. There are differences in the motors and there’s a software unlock to push them harder as such.

They could push the software to all AWD, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get the same performance as the P motors reliably.

I’m sure it is both 1 and 2. There are differences in the motors and there’s a software unlock to push them harder as such.

They could push the software to all AWD, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get the same performance as the P motors reliably.

There's no difference in the motors physically..

If there were the VIN # for motors would be different (as it is on regular vs P model S cars for example).

For that matter if they were physically different "sorting" them would make no sense anyway- there'd be nothing to sort.

Most likely 100% of motors pass all testing well enough to be P motors, but they "sort" the highest scoring ones into the Ps they know they're building for sure as that might, very slightly, reduce warranty costs down the line.

So if an AWD gets flashed to a P later it'll still run and perform like a factory P, but maybe have a tiny-% higher chance of needing warranty work later if you really pound on it.

Could be the sticker is wrong. Sticker on mine says, at the top, Model 3 long range AWD, but then on the right under as configured it says RWD, blue, black interior. In reality it's dual motor, blue, white interior. Listed total price is for RWD, not for what I payed. At least they got the color right.

• Funny
There's no difference in the motors physically..

If there were the VIN # for motors would be different (as it is on regular vs P model S cars for example).

For that matter if they were physically different "sorting" them would make no sense anyway- there'd be nothing to sort.

Most likely 100% of motors pass all testing well enough to be P motors, but they "sort" the highest scoring ones into the Ps they know they're building for sure as that might, very slightly, reduce warranty costs down the line.

So if an AWD gets flashed to a P later it'll still run and perform like a factory P, but maybe have a tiny-% higher chance of needing warranty work later if you really pound on it.
Yeah could be. I was certainly under the impression you couldn’t upgrade to P later, but that’s definitely not the case given I have a car that was originally manufactured AWD and upgraded after the fact. Guess I shouldn’t worry about it. Love the car and if the motor blows they will replace it.

Could be the sticker is wrong. Sticker on mine says, at the top, Model 3 long range AWD, but then on the right under as configured it says RWD, blue, black interior. In reality it's dual motor, blue, white interior. Listed total price is for RWD, not for what I payed. At least they got the color right.
My sticker shows Long Range AWD (at the non-P price). My car is a P, as verified by the red underline under Dual Motor. So my car was definitely upgraded after they printed the sticker. Have heard of others in the same boat.

Assuming we can pay $K to "unlock" performance 0-60 times on our AWD's down the road (pun intended) this is another brilliant move on Tesla's part. This means that all Model 3 AWD+EAP's sold have another $10K+$5K = $15K in possible future revenue pretty much pure profit (except swapping the upgraded silicon for Full Self Driving) down the road. Even if just 10K owners and/or future CPO owners did both of these, that represents an additional $150M in revenues for $TSLA.

I would expect any AWD->P- unlock to cost more than buying the P- upfront does... that keeps P- owners from being upset and is consistent with Teslas policy on other post-purchase upgrades like AP or FSD, making it cheaper if you pay for it before delivery than after.

Reactions: Jedi2155