Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Model 3 kill the Model S and the Model X and Tesla with them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not wanting to take this too far off-topic, but this just goes to show how different people are when it comes to preferences.
I don't know a single person who would rather have an S over a 3 at the moment. Especially the interior is far superior in the 3 imho. Much sleeker design, far more useful features, and - at least to people of my build - more interior room. I always felt cramped in the Model S, especially due to the abysmal headroom in the back. Everything felt tight and much smaller than what one would expect from a car this large. Total opposite on the 3, which to me feels much roomier even though it is smaller from the outside. Headroom is much better and legroom is comparable. Only in terms of cargo volume does the S dwarf the 3. Yet for most people, and at least all of those I know, the interior as well as storage space in the 3 is more than ample. Add to that the much better value for money, and the decision becomes a no-brainer...
While I won't argue that the S is a better value for the money than the 3, my S is for road trips and I greatly prefer the larger vertical display and IC in the S — I really dislike the smaller horizontal screen in the 3. I also can fit a full length air mattress in my S for camping and the hatchback makes it really easy to get in and out:
Air mattress in Model S20190523sf_060004.jpg

So, there are some of us who prefer the S. Not that I could afford a new one — I bought mine used and have been averaging more than 32.000 km (20,000 miles) a year on it — just got back from a 7648 km road trip.

In my view, one of the reasons Model S/X sales have collapsed is because Tesla got rid of the most popular and affordable 75 models.

Reactions: svp6 and Brando
Tesla has learned quite a bit about designing cars, since the S came out, and it shows in their design. I'd be very surprised if many people chose an S over a Model 3 Performance. I thought about it, especially once the S price dropped, and the free supercharging came back, and I didn't have a delivery date on the 3.

Cadillac and MB always have the latest/greatest on the top end cars. There is a reason for this.

Tesla has learned quite a bit about designing cars, since the S came out, and it shows in their design. I'd be very surprised if many people chose an S over a Model 3 Performance. I thought about it, especially once the S price dropped, and the free supercharging came back, and I didn't have a delivery date on the 3.

Cadillac and MB always have the latest/greatest on the top end cars. There is a reason for this.
Think Cad & MB latest & greatest better than Tesla? safest, quickest, cheapest to operate, best warranty? and the winner is _____.

I actually think the Y is far more likely to cut into the sales of the 3 and S rather than the X. It’s a lot closer to those 2 cars in functionality than the X.

The X still stands out with its size, true 3rd row seating (have you see the Y’s 3rd row pics?), and the FWD - as polarizing as they are.

True, true. The X took sales from the S and, I am sure, the Y will from the 3. But I am convinced many will choose between the X and Y - simply being higher up, for instance, is a reason many buy SUVs and crossovers.

Reactions: Brando
It did not kill the model S/X. If your not willing to go where the market wants to go... someone else will!

They are different cars. Sure, some stretched a lot to get the S and they are very happy to purchase the 3 instead. But there a a lot that didn’t bother to get the S or the X.

Yes, it reduced the S/X sales. Perhaps the priced it too low? I’m not sure. I don’t know the margins. But they had to do it because the market for $100k cars is finite. And I’m sure the margins on the lower battery sized cars wasn’t on the fantastic side of things either.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I personally prefer the S to the 3. but i feel like I am in the minority.
I loved and was ready to buy the Model S 75D and decided it would be prudent to test drive the Model 3 before pulling the trigger. It took 5-min (Oct 2018) to convince me to love the Model 3 more.
  1. The Model 3 seating position is more comfortable than the S, and you can see out of the car better.
  2. M3 performance is more nimble than an S and feels like a Porsche sports car (but is smooth for long trips), fulfilling my old desire for a 911 which I had forgot I had until driving this car.
  3. M3 interior is much better than the S, more modern, striking and has storage. Model S interior storage is VERY lame, no door pockets etc???
  4. M3 stereo sounds better than S. This was my instant judgement after hearing both.
  5. In Oct 2018 the M3 motors were more modern design than the S. This influenced me even though I still believed I would be a beta tester for the new M3.
  6. I paid $10k less for the hottest Perf M3 than an a standard S75D.
After 14k miles I still love this car and don't regret choosing the 3 over the 75D.

Tesla trend or Tesla goal ?

continuous improvement

Downward trends on costs are often a result of this pursuit.

EXPECT newer Tesla products (and models) to be better and cheaper year after year after year.
https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-what-s-changed-between-2012-and-2019
https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4

Many just don't get it.
WHY would anyone in a capitalistic society want to improve a product IF they didn't need to?
WHY would any company in a capitalist country want to pass along savings vs increasing profits?
WHY do you think some people want to get rid of Elon as CEO? More profits for Wall St./stockholders - seriously? seems so

Improve design on each generation of product?
Wall St.: NO, don't waste money - increase profits.
Elon: Make compelling products and people will buy them. If you can't do that you deserve to go out of business.

Some suggest this is disruptive. You?
Some just call you a fanboy or part of the Tesla Cult (Lutz and Wall St. analyst love those terms)

Not to worry about the S. Some just want/need bigger and they can afford it. Others? Not so much.

PS - Goals for margins are the same, so far, for all models about 25-30%. You can review SEC filed reports to verify.

if the profit margin on the 3 is 20-25% as some have said on this forum, then Tesla has no problem.

weather they sell an S, or an X or a 3.. the difference is immaterial.

i suspect, however, and i don't yet have the hard data to prove this, but I suspect Tesla makes much less profit on the 3 than on the S and X.. and when people are not willing to pony up for an S, the net profit will fall.

and this is a problem for Tesla.

Seemed natural to me that once the 3 was in sufficient supply the MS sales would fall - so many people went over their budget for years to buy a MS because it was the only decent EV on the market. I was surprised it took until 1Q19 for MS sales to fall. I'm actually kind of glad - keeps my MS a rare sight in town.

For those that don't know anyone that prefers an S over a 3, just check out the forum - plenty of people including myself discussed having a reservation for a 3 until we saw / drove them back to back and upgraded to the S. Maybe it is a status thing for some. Most of us would agree however, that the 3 is the better value. Just like the Audi S4 is a better value than an S7, but some people still buy the S7.

Not sure I'd call the MS design dated, even at 7 years old. I still get people stopping me in all sorts of places. Last week, having lunch at a Taco Bell with my daughter, an old woman came up to us, and asked if that "gorgeous red car" in the parking lot was ours. She said it was the most exotic car she'd ever seen. Last month, sitting at a crosswalk at the local college waiting for some students to cross, a group of college girls took a selfie with my car. My favorite is when young kids (boys and girls) excitedly point at my car and yell "Tesla" to their parents as I drive by them. The new generation knows the future when they see it. I'm sure others have similar stories, whether S, X or 3.

Interior not so much, though I really enjoy the dash design and the cream / oak combination - both selling points for me over the 3. Beyond the screens, the 3's interior is definitely more ergonomic.

I think the exterior of the Model S is beautiful.. even after nearly 4 years of ownership on my part.. and even after 6-7 years or whenever it was the 1st S rolled off the line. I also prefer the S interior to the 3.. and I don't miss the lack of side pockets or whatever they added back to the interior of the 3 -- although I will say it did take some getting used to when I 1st got my S.. but not as much as you think. My car has the yacht floor between the two front seats and I store stuff there, particularly on road trips.